Does anyone use Touch Portal

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

TonyGamble

Does anyone use Touch Portal

PostSat Jan 09, 2021 9:05 am

MY MISTAKE. I SHOULD HAVE SAID TOUCH PORTAL AND NOT TURBO.

On a nearby thread I read about Streamdeck and decided to invest in the Resolve icons that worked with TOUCH Portal.

I cannot work out how they generate the key actions that we use from a Right Click. For example I want the command to Create a Multicam from Selected Clips.

Can one do this sort of thing with TOUCH Portal?

Tony
London UK
Last edited by TonyGamble on Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

TonyGamble

Re: Does anyone use Turbo Portal?

PostSat Jan 09, 2021 3:50 pm

No TP users around yet.

Could someone tell me how to create a new shortcut for that command as shown currently empty in my keyboard.

Maybe that would take me forward a step.

Why is it that when I put something in I am not being allowed to Save? Is it because that special keyboard is protected somewhere?

TonyGamble

PostSat Jan 09, 2021 6:50 pm

OK. I have sorted the above with Todd - maestro guru at the folk who supply the DR software.

You can add your own hotkeys - not the way I started by attempting. But it does work.

But anyone who uses TP would be someone I'd love to have a chat with.

Tony

Jason Conrad

PostSat Jan 09, 2021 11:57 pm

What's Turbo Portal? The top duckduckgo search is this thread.
-MacBook Pro (14,3) i7 2.9 GHz 16 GB, Intel 630, AMD 560 x1
-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

TonyGamble

Re: Does anyone use Touch Portal

PostSun Jan 10, 2021 6:37 am

No wonder you could not find it Jason.

This is what I am referring to:-

https://www.touch-portal.com/

Tony

Skyzlmt

PostTue Feb 23, 2021 10:43 pm

I just heard about this... stumbled here after googling.

I am going to try this out. Downloading. Will tinker a few days.

I a not a Davinci power user
CyberPowerPC: Intel i7-9700k Nvidia 2700 Super 32GB

arbibarbarona

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 2:30 pm

I've been using Touch Portal with Davinci Resolve. There were plugins that enable me to pseudo control the color page as if TP is communicating with DR API.

Here's a Photo of what I mean.Image

arbibarbarona

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 7:50 pm

Another TP pages I used with DR.

TonyGamble

PostSat Apr 03, 2021 9:38 am

Thanks Arnel,

First post after a long silence. I had put my Touch Portal to one side and forgotten about it.

I'll revisit it this weekend and do some revision on how to upload plugins.

Where did your first one come from with all that color control?

I also need to see how you 'improved' those buttons. The ones they supply with little images look tacky IMHO.

Hope you are around to respond.

Tony

London UK

arbibarbarona

PostSat Apr 03, 2021 10:17 am

Hi Tony,

Try visiting the TouchPortal Discord community. I shared a lot of my stuff there. I designed all my icons. and some I improved from SideshowFX's. I want to improve the color page next. It is on development though.

arbibarbarona

PostSun Apr 04, 2021 5:17 am

This is a work in progress with Touch Portal.

I designed all my icons.

TonyGamble

PostSun Apr 04, 2021 9:45 am

Thanks A,

I've just had a look and realise your color page is WIP.

I'll do some more research.

Tony

arbibarbarona

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 6:29 pm

Here's a demo of my Control Deck

TonyGamble

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 9:28 pm

Give it a go folks.

It is an interesting experience.

Tony

videofred

PostTue Jun 08, 2021 10:28 am

arbibarbarona wrote:

Here's a demo of my Control Deck

Awesome! Would you share it? :roll:
HP Workstation • Intel i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz • 32 GB RAM • Geforce GTX 1080 • BenQ PD3200U • Windows 10 Pro 64bit 21H2 Feature Experience Pack • DR 18.0.2 Studio • MP4 264 4K • Speed Editor

flipnap

PostMon Jun 28, 2021 3:38 pm

just came across this thread looking for some packs. Touch portal is an AMAZING piece of software for resolve and fusion (and tons of other things). I have my keyboard shortcuts hardwired in the brain already, but since getting the speed editor for resolve my hands are on the unit, and reaching over to my iPad has proven to be a HUGE time saver, and in fusion its been great as well. Being able to compound commands, toggle states, and create buttons/layout/colors/etc.is great The hardware options for this are in the 300-400 dollar range, I already have a tablet and the software is cheap so... Surprised at how useful it is. did the freebee to test it and it blew me away

TonyGamble

PostMon Jun 28, 2021 3:54 pm

Good to hear that John,

I am a total newbie to Resolve.

I got the free Speed Editor and decided Touch Portal would help with more speed.

Do you have time to elaborate on the commands and buttons you have created?

Tony

London UK

flipnap

PostMon Jun 28, 2021 5:31 pm

im on a shoot for a few days but when I get back ill share some stuff. but I LOVE animated GIF's to indicate button states. its fun and helpful to glance over to see what's on. I also use it to open certain folders, then have them automatically close after a few seconds. there are a handful of folders I often need to check in on and leaving them open all the time is a hassle. also Its just nice to not have to do multiple button hotkeys all the time, I can just combine them into one (or groups of hotkeys executing in order). also a lot of hotkey functions are (obviously) scattered across the keyboard and its nice just to have them assembled into one pane.. have some apple scripts im trying to implement. but overall its a lovely package. some caveats though, and im going to write them an email to see if It can be done.

Igor Riđanović

PostTue Jun 29, 2021 3:00 am

arbibarbarona wrote:I've been using Touch Portal with Davinci Resolve. There were plugins that enable me to pseudo control the color page as if TP is communicating with DR API.

Actually, the API does not offer any control of the color page parameters.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Max Paperno

PostWed Jul 07, 2021 1:56 am

I'm using Touch Portal for a couple months now and it's a pretty nice option especially if one already owns some old Android/iOS hardware (I'm running it on a 10 year old Acer A200 tablet... finally found some use for it!). It has its quirks but overall does the job. I use it in combination with hardware macro keys, and also to display my hardware macro mappings (up to 77!) for various applications (can never remember them all).

Igor Riđanović wrote:Actually, the API does not offer any control of the color page parameters.

I believe Arnel's DR pages use (at least partially) another Touch Portal plugin (WinTools) which allows control over the mouse pointer on Windows. So the controls are dependent on screen coordinates. Here's another video which mentions WinTools in the description.

The UI is very impressive! But I'm not sure why it is more convenient than using DR directly.

Admittedly I do hate having to mash the mouse button down while making color adjustments with the mouse, so I mapped a keyboard macro key to "left mouse button" which makes my experience much nicer.

Igor Riđanović

PostWed Jul 07, 2021 2:19 am

The problem with hijacking mouse pointer movement and clicks is that you're dependent on the UI size and layout.

Another problem is that doing it this way is that you can't adjust multiple parameters simultaneously. A pointer can only be at one place at a time. This is a major handicap.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Max Paperno

PostWed Jul 07, 2021 2:55 am

Igor Riđanović wrote:The problem with hijacking mouse pointer movement and clicks is that you're dependent on the UI size and layout.
Indeed. As I said. And "blindly" clicking on things based on where they're supposed to be isn't really my idea of a good time either. Though granted the Color page in particular has a pretty rigid layout.

Igor Riđanović wrote:A pointer can only be at one place at a time. This is a major handicap.

Same as just using a mouse, no? But unless there's some "panel control" API (or published spec for the existing system), we're stuck with that, I think (and not holding my breath on that one).

Igor Riđanović

PostWed Jul 07, 2021 3:08 am

Right, but I'm comparing this to a color panel, not mouse. I don't think this has a particular advantage over a mouse control anyway.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Phil999

PostWed Jul 07, 2021 6:56 pm

today I tried Touch Portal for the first time. It’s well thought out. Some time ago I tested a couple of those apps, also beta versions, and Touch Portal seems to be the best. Tempted to buy the full version, but there’s also Lemur where you can design a remote control and fancy graphics, although it’s much more time consuming to build.

For wheels and balls I recommend the ‘element-Vs’ app from Tangent Wave Ltd.

flipnap

PostWed Jul 07, 2021 7:55 pm

well for the price, its relatively (and really) cheap. I have a hardware touch button control (I wont name names) but they also have an app. figured since I already own the hardware it would be an iPad version of it. Not only is it a charge, its a monthly indentured servitude fee... oh I mean, subscription fee. Touch portal is not only cheap but once you look into it, its gives a LOT of flexibility. toggle functions, animated icons that change states to let you know its on, all customizable and you can buy the graphics package for a few bucks extra. you can even run apple scripts from it. I use it on everything from logic prox and final cut and resolve.. and tons of other things. at the very least, its just nice having big buttons arranged how I like right there. I dont need to pimp it out to simulate grading control balls or sliders. now if I could crack into revolves command lines and copy those it would be gold.

TonyGamble

PostSun Jul 11, 2021 9:43 am

Phil,

I thought I'd look at Tangent Wave and my Malwarebytes blocks it.

Before I try to find a work around can you tell me if you are recommending hardware or software like Touch Portal?

Tony

Phil999

PostSun Jul 11, 2021 3:24 pm

the Tangent Hub software must be allowed by antivirus of course, if that is the problem.

The Tangent Element solution is quite attractive, because one can combine hard- and software (didn’t know that before). I’m thinking about getting the Tk (trackerball) Element, and using iPads for the rest.

Resolve, and probably a number of other similar software, allow one single kind of control surface. Choosing Tangent Elements is the most versatile I believe.

—-

Back on topic, Touch Portal appears to be a robust solution. I got used to touchscreens (iPad) using TouchOSC, Lemur, Cubase IC Pro, element Vs, Strata Pro, and many more controller apps, doing critical work in studio and on stage.

TonyGamble

PostSun Jul 11, 2021 9:14 pm

Second try with my question

Before I try to find a work around can you tell me if you are recommending hardware or software like Touch Portal?

Tony

flipnap

PostSun Jul 11, 2021 9:33 pm

I believe he was saying that antivirus programs will block software interfaces like touch portal. you need to configure it to allow TP to work. and actual hardware is nice ALONG with software. I personally prefer to use a real trackball for color grading along with a tablet/phone for hotkeys/scripts etc.

TonyGamble

PostMon Jul 12, 2021 5:37 am

Thanks John,

I am still failing to understand whether it is a piece of equipment - which I certainly would not be interested in buying as I have the Speed Editor and a keyboard and precious little more space on my desk.

Or whether it is software to make a tabloid capable of instructing Resolve - like Touch Portal which I find quite a help.

Yes. I can understand MalwareBytes being worried about anything on my PC that accesses the outside world. But I'd have thought Tangent Hub would have anticipated that.

Many thanks.

Tony

flipnap

PostMon Jul 12, 2021 8:01 am

OHHhh ha ha. youre asking bout tangent hub, my apologies. I misunderstood. Tangent hub is free software that allows you to remap certain functions of their hardware products.

TonyGamble

PostMon Jul 12, 2021 8:52 am

Thanks John,

I'll have a look at what they make but I think for my use of Resolve (and my level of understanding) I'll stay with the Speed Editor, a reduced size keyboard and Touch Portal on a tablet.

Touch Portal is much more of a reminding device for me so I don't forget what to do what and when. Others use if for speed. Speed is something I am not expecting at my level of competence.

Have you got one of those Tangent Hub devices? Is there one you'd recommend for a total newbie?

Tony

flipnap

PostMon Jul 12, 2021 11:42 am

Well, the tangent devices are more for color grading. And the "tangent hub" is nothing more than software for their hardware (for remapping). I dont think you can use "tangent hub" by itself. but any "ball" type of mouse could work in general. you don't need to buy tangent devices black magics resolve panel is awesome but expensive. Color grading on roller balls is an age old method, hence the ball appearance in the color page. when it comes down to it you can achieve the same results without hardware rollers, just takes more time. Sort of how you can use a mouse to do what you're currently using the scrub wheel on the speed editor. you can live without it but it makes editing more fun and more precise.

I dont know your level of proficiency in working with color, but if its a "not gonna bother" thing" I highly suggest you do some basic tutorials on color grading in resolve. On YouTube, some great tutorials can be found by Darren Mostyn, and many others. Shooting flat profiles and grading is what makes a huge diference. but if you already know that, no worries. ok ramble over

TonyGamble

PostMon Jul 12, 2021 1:08 pm

Thanks again John,

I'll leave the extra gadget alone having listened to you.

With regard to colour grading you say " Shooting flat profiles and grading is what makes a huge diference. but if you already know that, no worries. ok ramble over"

I work with a pair of Olympus EM5 mk iii bodies and shoot 2.7k with them. And an Insta360 One. I have not tried what you call 'flat' but maybe I ought to give it a go. I was using a pal to do my editing and I know he preferred to have a more 'normal' file but I guess that was primarly to make his work easier - and as what we were shooting was only ever going to be used on YouTube 'nearly right' was good enough.

I shoot RAW for my stills so am used to having an odd file to start with and plenty of headroom. Maybe flat is for me.

I am off the internet for most of the rest of the week. I'll pick up on this when I get back at the weekend.

Tony

flipnap

PostMon Jul 12, 2021 4:00 pm

Well what I mean is.. in the photography world we have RAW, and that give us the most control. We have GREAT latitude for changes without corrupting the image with RAW. same thing with video. except we have BRAW in the Blackmagic world. Its the closest to RAW Blackmagic can get due to legal issues. But in general, on any camera shooting a "flat profile" gives us more wiggle room to push and pull colors. If you look up "color grading" on YouTube it will make more sense than me explaining. But any phone or camera worth shooting will have a linear or flat profile. many use "filmic pro" on the iPhone, which also has the advantage of being 10 bit (more colors) Imagine showing a "normal" person a video filmed with a flat profile and they say "oh my gawd, that looks terrible. theres no color and its all washed out" then you know you've got a great starting point. Linear/flat color profiles are MEANT to be graded, they are not the final image anymore than RAW is. (well RAW isn't actually any image but thats another topic).

TonyGamble

PostMon Jul 12, 2021 4:23 pm

Sure John,

I'll do the reading.

Especially about finding the right profiles which must be the key to starting correctly.

Tony

TonyGamble

PostSat Apr 09, 2022 7:37 am

I'm flushing this up as I want to have another go at using the Color Page system created by Arnel.

I can't get mine to work and I seem to remember it is important to have the screen on the PC set in a certain way.

If anyone has a way of contacting Arnel other then by that Discord Forum then I'd welcome their help. I find Discord hopeless.

I find Touch Portal a great asset for me as I am not a regular enough Resolve user to remember all the shortcuts I need - and TP does it for me!!

Tony
London UK

Max Paperno

PostSat Apr 09, 2022 8:14 am

TonyGamble wrote:I can't get mine to work and I seem to remember it is important to have the screen on the PC set in a certain way.

Where did you get it to begin with? :geek: Maybe I'm blind but besides the several videos and the posts here I can't find any mention of any DR plugin for TP. Besides the icon pack which is on TP site already.

I'm on their Discord server (though I share your sentiments on that as a support tool) and I can't figure out who Arnel (or Arbi) may be, nor is there any real info on a DR plugin there either (that I can find, anyway... see above :roll: ).

I've already written/heavily worked on 3 open-source TP plugins for various integrations, and have tried to do a bit with DR in the past. But the transport protocol they describe in their docs didn't actually work (and is unsupported), and I'm not sure what would be useful from their (supported?) API which anyway is stuck in some ancient version of Python for no good reason and is um, minimally, documented. Not encouraging in the least, personally.

Does DR support any kind of joystick/gamepad controls? I wrote a TP plugin which can emulate those... :)

Cheers,
-Max

TonyGamble

PostSat Apr 09, 2022 8:50 am

Max.

In haste. Off to tennis.

I probably got it direct from Arnel Barberona. It is not a TP plug in as per their list.

Put a search for Arnel in Discord and it finds two or three posts.

This is the guy [url]://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1C6UtCCEazAEC4DOAsa5EA[/url]

Will chat later.

EDIT

I have the .tpi that Arnel sent me. I am sure I did not pay for it so if you PM me your email I'll send it to you. I am sure he'd be happy to find another user.

EDIT 2

I have found that putting Resolve into "Full Screen Viewer" make the mouse cursor hit a lot of the right places - but I cannot get the tablet to pass the changes back to the PC

Tony
GB BST

SeldomSeenKid

PostMon Apr 11, 2022 2:40 pm

In the last couple of month I invested quite some time in my DIY control panels for DVR and I found that a combination of midi commands and keystrokes works best for custom transport control.
I use Bome Midi Translator to do most of the work and after fiddling a bit with keystroke repeat/delay values I was able to implement the standard transport tools like Jog, Scrub and even Shuttle. Maybe not on eye level with BDM hardware but for a fraction of the price.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
# Threadripper 32 core / 160GB / RTX4000 8GB / WIN10 #
# BMCC / DVR17.4.6 Studio / Speed Editor / Tangent Ripple / X-Touch One / X-Touch mini / Space Explorer / 5.1 HDMI#

Max Paperno

PostMon Apr 11, 2022 5:57 pm

SeldomSeenKid wrote:In the last couple of month I invested quite some time in my DIY control panels for DVR and I found that a combination of midi commands and keystrokes works best for custom transport control.
I use Bome Midi Translator to do most of the work and after fiddling a bit with keystroke repeat/delay values I was able to implement the standard transport tools like Jog, Scrub and even Shuttle. Maybe not on eye level with BDM hardware but for a fraction of the price.

Hi Michael,

Sounds promising... open source? :mrgreen:

What do the MIDI commands do with the Translator software? Does it just turn them into keystrokes for J/K/L or is there some inherent MIDI protocol control in DR? From what I understand Fairlight page has some MIDI control features, but not the rest of DR...?

Using MIDI isn't an issue (plenty of resources) but I'm wondering, if it's just translating to keystrokes then why not just send the keys in the first place.

Originally I was trying to turn my Shuttle controller into an actual JKL instead of a glorified cursor key presser (which is all it can actually do). Reading data from it is easy enough, but I got frustrated with DRs closed nature and lacking/buggy integration options (though admittedly I might have given up early, somewhat on principle).

Cheers,
-Max

SeldomSeenKid

PostTue Apr 12, 2022 8:40 am

Hi Max,

Not sure if my approach fits your needs so let me explain.
My goal was to turn my X-Touch One into a fully useable controller in particular for Fairlight. It looks like in Fairlight the midi transport controls work a bit smoother than the keystrokes and there is also a very smooth Jog mode, which is only available in FL as a sequence of midi commands. Some of the midi commands also work on other pages but here they are indeed equivalent to the keystrokes.
Once the controller worked fine in FL I started to emulate the missing controls for the other pages and this is where Midi Translator came in handy. It lets you define keystroke sequences which are executed with a given delay between the strokes. This way you can implement time critical operations like mimicking a shuttle behavior with timed injections of J/K/L keys or a "return to playstart" by injecting "Play again" followed by "Stop" with a small delay.

Cheers, Michael
# BMCC / DVR17.4.6 Studio / Speed Editor / Tangent Ripple / X-Touch One / X-Touch mini / Space Explorer / 5.1 HDMI#

TonyGamble

PostTue Apr 12, 2022 9:02 am

I'm not knocking the involvement of the X-Touch One if you already have one but felt it worth mentioning that the UK eBay is now showing the Speed Editor at 130 UKP from the USA. The last time I looked there were also sellers in Germany.

Tony

Max Paperno

PostTue Apr 12, 2022 9:21 am

I had to look up what the X-TO is... looks cool! And looks way more useful (to me) than the Speed Editor. Which I own... it's sitting on a shelf. Was going to sell it but they're going so cheap it hardly seems worth it... :| (Why don't I just use the wheel on that? Because the rest of it is huge and unused.)

Touch Portal (or similar) is an excellent tool because it's so flexible. OTOH I still love physical knobs and such which I can get used-to w/out looking at all the time (which is what makes my keyboard macro keys better than touchscreen, as long as I can remember what they all do... :lol: and yes.. Stream Deck... I know... but also has its limitations).

Michael, thanks for further details. Makes sense to me, might as well try to get the MIDI controller working with the rest of DR if you're using it anyway.

Best,
-Max

SeldomSeenKid

PostTue Apr 12, 2022 9:24 am

Thanks for the hint Tony!
Indeed I am not willing to sacrifice any part of my set-up for a SpeedEditor :)
Besides the fact that the SE is not customizable, I cannot imagine how to use it without re-arranging my desk each time I am on the cut-page.
In my set-up I do have the X-Touch on the right side of my main keyboard and a 20€ game-keypad on the left. This way I can control transport with my right hand and the rest with my left hand.

Cheers, Michael

TonyGamble

PostTue Apr 12, 2022 9:43 am

Fair comment Michael.

I'm very much a hobby user shooting mostly multicam. I inevitably work much more slowly than you pros as I cannot remember keyboard short cuts (hence my Touch Portal obsession). However I now rarely work in the Cut Page because I cannot put Marks on the frames I plan/expect to exit and enter from.

I use the Speed Editor on the Edit Page. The number keys now work as camera selectors in the current software if you want to use them. Shooting multicam keeping the sound in sync is critical and the Trim Out and Trim In function of the SE with the scroll wheel is brilliant.

Tony

SeldomSeenKid

PostTue Apr 12, 2022 11:55 am

@Max:
Yea, there are many options out there and I remember how long I was comparing hard- and software ware specs before I decided what to use also because I am a hobbyist with a very tight budget.
The X-Touch was my first purchase and I am very happy with it but here are two things you need to consider if you want to buy one:
First of all it does almost nothing useable with DVR out of the box. You definitely need "the man in the middle", which in my case is Bome Midi Translator because it does all the midi & keystroke routing and tweaking. You can plan for a couple of sleepless nights until you get what you want but BMT is definitely something to look at.
The second thing is that the dial-wheel does not compare to the one of the SE quality wise. It feels more cheap and it doesn't turn on its own if you give it a push. Besides that the X-Touch is worth any cent.
I also looked at StreamDeck and Touch Portal. What I don't like about them is that they bring their own management software, which plays by its own rules. In my scenario BMT is the central controlling instance and it talks midi (and keystrokes). I really like the StreamDeck but didn't get one because there is no way to switch layouts via a midi command from the outside. Switching the layout for me is crucial because it changes depending on the situation.
What I also use is TouchOSC. It's comparable to Touch Portal to a certain point but it can be fully controlled with midi commands. I use it on an old smartphone as my panel display showing me the button assignment of the controller.

Cheers, Michael

SeldomSeenKid

PostTue Apr 12, 2022 12:07 pm

@Tony:
Just need to state that I am a hobbyist too :)
The SE really is a funny thing. I spent quite some time to rebuild its functionality and was scratching my head more than once. Some functionality it delivers on the Cut page cannot be emulated there but on the Edit page instead. On the other hand some functionality which the SE doesn't have on the Cut page is available via keystrokes. I have no idea if this is by design or just by accident.
Meanwhile I'd say that I have about 90% of the SE functionality working (including trimming & resizing with the dial wheel) but it is distributed differently across Cut & Edit page.

Best, Michael

arbibarbarona

PostSat Jul 02, 2022 2:00 pm

TonyGamble wrote:I'm flushing this up as I want to have another go at using the Color Page system created by Arnel.

I can't get mine to work and I seem to remember it is important to have the screen on the PC set in a certain way.

If anyone has a way of contacting Arnel other then by that Discord Forum then I'd welcome their help. I find Discord hopeless.

I find Touch Portal a great asset for me as I am not a regular enough Resolve user to remember all the shortcuts I need - and TP does it for me!!

Tony
London UK

Shoot me an email at arbi@sideshowfx.net

Return to DaVinci Resolve