ATEM Pro ISO: Can I stream into OBS AND still record to SSD?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

apexerich

ATEM Pro ISO: Can I stream into OBS AND still record to SSD?

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 2:57 am

I have the ATEM Mini Pro ISO and I will be doing a stream where we will want to record the individual cameras to SSD out of the ATEM with the DaVinci Resolve project file (which is why we got the ISO), but because of some of the features that the client wants, we also want to use OBS to do the actual streaming instead of the ATEM doing the streaming. So is there a way to use the USB-C out to maybe a hub and have one connection to an SSD drive for the recordings, but still send the signal out as a webcam to a computer running OBS for the streaming? We are using Black Magic Pocket 4K cameras, so I know I can trigger recording on the actual cameras to SSD drives for each camera in 4K if we wanted (and we actually STILL want to do that anyway), but the whole reason we got the ISO was for the recording capabilities where it records the whole production as it was live, but also records the individual cameras at 1080p and gives us the DaVinci Resolve project file which is what we REALLY want so we can go in later and edit the live production easily using either the 1080p files that the ATEM recorded or the 4K files that the cameras recorded. If we have the cameras do the actual recording, yes we will get the high res raw files, but we wont get the DaVinci Resolve project file of the production with all the camera cuts and keys etc that were present in the live production.

Is this even possible? THANKS

Ian Morrish

Re: ATEM Pro ISO: Can I stream into OBS AND still record to

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 3:11 am

Yes, use an hdmi/usb capture device for obs. Means you can't use the multiview out :-(

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

Michael_Andreas

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 4:55 am

I think that this should also work: Ethernet --> Streaming Bridge --> HDMI --> CamLink --> USB --> PC --> OBS. That way you could use the ATEM Mini Pro Iso's USB to record and HDMI for multiview. But at the moment the streaming bridge is not yet available.

Jim Simon

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 4:15 pm

In my experience with the ATEM Mini Pro (Not the ISO), the SSD drive will have to connect directly to the ATEM, won't work through a hub.

So so, I don't think it's possible.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 8:27 pm

Jim : At first , U cannot use USB in host mode (record to disk) and client mode (send to computer) simultaneously ..
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

tonnib

PostThu Nov 19, 2020 2:35 pm

Michael_Andreas wrote:I think that this should also work: Ethernet --> Streaming Bridge --> HDMI --> CamLink --> USB --> PC --> OBS. That way you could use the ATEM Mini Pro Iso's USB to record and HDMI for multiview. But at the moment the streaming bridge is not yet available.

Is anyone has experience with this method?

I also wonder if there is another way not to buy Streaming Bridge?

terryleahyjr

PostFri Jan 08, 2021 6:48 pm

Im not quite sure if your'e still searching for a solution but we figured out an awesome work around by using the ATEM Streaming Bridge.

We made a video about it, here is the link -

jvanick

PostFri Jan 08, 2021 7:53 pm

tonnib wrote:
Michael_Andreas wrote:I think that this should also work: Ethernet --> Streaming Bridge --> HDMI --> CamLink --> USB --> PC --> OBS. That way you could use the ATEM Mini Pro Iso's USB to record and HDMI for multiview. But at the moment the streaming bridge is not yet available.

Is anyone has experience with this method?

I also wonder if there is another way not to buy Streaming Bridge?

you can use something like nginx-rtmp to make OBS be able to act like an RTMP server (which is what the ATEM can stream to), but honestly for all that effort (and tech knowledge needed), the streaming bridge or hdmi-usb capture is much easier and probably more stable/fool proof.

Branson Off Grid

PostSat Jan 09, 2021 5:16 am

terryleahyjr wrote:Im not quite sure if your'e still searching for a solution but we figured out an awesome work around by using the ATEM Streaming Bridge.

We made a video about it, here is the link -

Terry, that was exactly what I was thinking, but you're right, BMD didn't really explain the streaming bridge functionality in enough detail to confirm the thought. So I figured there might be some hidden problem doing this. I bought an ATEM before the Pro came out & I was thinking about an upgrade. But I needed the webcam output more than the recording.

I'm using the WC to send my camera up to Zoom, only I have a laptop HDMI output as an input in the second camera to feed in presentation or video, etc. Much better & faster than using Screen Share in Zoom. Used Laptops are so cheap for this use it's just a no-brainer.

Since I already have a Mini to nest with the ISO to use as you show in the video; I buy a Pro & the Bridge & it's really cheaper than other options, but I was looking at their other switchers & equipment to see if they had something else that would work better.

I mainly shoot video for Churches & I have some other questions, but not on this topic. Great Video!

TwentyBlinks

PostMon Jan 11, 2021 4:14 am

The other way is to use a Rasberry Pi to create a RTMP server (which works exactly like a streaming bridge)

However do note of the latency/delay of the audio and visual feed. From my trials, the delay is about 3 secs on a gigabit router. Not ideal if you have a hybrid live/virtual event.

kenobikan

PostWed Jan 13, 2021 8:07 pm

Is possible to connect the ATEM Pro ISO to two computers at the same time?

Return to Live Production