Mini Converter analog to SDI not working

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

PeterCLI

Mini Converter analog to SDI not working

PostMon Jan 11, 2021 5:08 pm

Hello
We are trying to make use of a Canon XL2 camera.
Currently we have the Blackmagicdesign ATEM Television Studio with ATEM on a MAC Pro using our Canon XL H1 connected via a SDI cable. the system works great.
Trying to use our Canon XL 2, we purchased the Blackmagic Mini Converter Analog to SDI.
From our Canon XL2 Using a S Video to BNC "Yellow & White" cable to the Mini converter. From the Mini Converter we are using a SDI to SDI to the ATEM Television Studio. The Mini Converter dongle switches are on 1 & 4 we have tried a number of different combinations. The lights on the Mini converter are on. When we connect the Mini converter via a USB to the MAC Pro, the MAC Pro "BMD Converters Setup sees the Mini Converter.
We have tried our Panasonic DVX 100B, nothing is work for us. What are we missing ? Our Canon XL H1 works GREAT
HELP Please and Thank you
Peter

PeterCLI

Re: Mini Converter analog to SDI not working

PostWed Jan 13, 2021 10:22 pm

Hello

We were able to get the Canon XL 2 working using a RCA to BNC cable
BUT!!!
The Canon XL2 goes into the BM Television Studio mini using 525i59.94 NTSC 16:9
The Canon XL H1 goes into the BM Television Studio Mini using 1080 i59.94
The system appears to only handle one camera at a time. you must go into the ATEM settings Video and change the video Settings to accommodate each camera
There are some ATEM selections that are not active (faded) IE set multi view standard to _________.
Is there a way to feed the Television studio two different cameras ?

Thank you

Peter

ManchesterV

PostWed Jan 13, 2021 11:23 pm

S-Video (Y/C) into the converter will result in SDI out in standard definition. There's no upscaling in the unit.

It doesn't sound right having an Y/C (S-Video) to twin phono with yellow and white. It should be green and blue - I'm not saying the colour of the shroud affected how it's wired but there are other applications using the same plugs that may be wired up different to what you need. The yellow/white variety tended to ship with very old PC graphics cards IIRC.

Once you get Y/C working correctly you would then need to use an UpDownCross converter to upscale from SD to 1080i (if that's what your other camera does). Alternatively set your other Canon to standard def. Composite is not ideal but will work.

The ATEM HD does need all inputs/cameras to be set the same resolution, frame rate etc

Denny Smith

PostThu Jan 14, 2021 2:04 am

I have sone professional type Y/C to BNC adapter cables available that will work with the Analog/SDI converter using a Canon XL camera. You can add BNC to RCA adapters as required, which I also have available, PM me for details.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

PeterCLI

PostSat Jan 16, 2021 6:07 pm

Thank you to everyone

We were able to make the system work for us
It was all about the settings in the cameras and BMD

and thank you to both Denny and Manchester for your input
Denny we will keep in mind that you have the cables available

Thank you