Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Can't play XF-AVC footage in Fusion Studio 17

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

seanadl

Can't play XF-AVC footage in Fusion Studio 17

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 11:20 am

Hi everyone,

After experiencing problems using the in-built Fusion tab within Resolve Studio 16 (see viewtopic.php?f=21&t=131368) I decided to try the latest Fusion Studio standalone (v.17) to see if that might work any faster.

However, I'm failing at the first hurdle it seems. I'm unable to play my XF-AVC Intra footage shot on my C500 II within the standalone version of Fusion (it works fine in Resolve). It this a known issue? How do I resolve?

System specs:

Code: Select all
 Processor Name:   8-Core Intel Core i9
  Processor Speed:   2.4 GHz
  Number of Processors:   1
  L2 Cache (per Core):   256 KB
  L3 Cache:   16 MB
  Memory:   64 GB
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
8TB Flash storage

UserNoah

Re: Can't play XF-AVC footage in Fusion Studio 17

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 11:42 am

Fusion studio can't natively inject as many formats as Resolve. It's not a bug, just not supported.
In most professional workflows you would transcode the data to something like an exr sequence, which fusion handles very well.
For example, if you use VFX connect, Resolve will export the video to a better format, too.
If you want Fusion to support more formats you can download ffmpeg. There is a very convenient download of it in Reactor.

This was asked before, too:
viewtopic.php?t=131163

I have it installed as well, but especially if I get weird TV camera formats I transcode them to something more useable (exr). Fusion is very much designed for image sequences and issues that arise with video formats shouldn't happen but they do.
In all of my professional work I inject an image sequence and I export one. Only later when needed, I transcode it to a video file using Resolve for DnxHR or other software for ProRes.
I recently wrote a small script for myself to use Fusion for transcoding to ProRes. Fusion has a legal ProRes license and that worked surprisingly good. I suspect that Fusion is slower to export ProRes than something like Handbrake, but I haven't tested it yet. The good thing is, I was able to transcode 15 videos at the same time, with varying frame rates, resolutions, and lengths without any issues.

Return to Fusion