Easy heatsink & fan replacement guide for Decklink cards

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Harri Järvinen

Easy heatsink & fan replacement guide for Decklink cards

PostThu Feb 06, 2020 4:02 pm

Do this at your own risk etc, for getting a better cooling and a lot less noise. Please leave comments and I will update the guide if needed.

Pictures can be found here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NXhk-4oTKn0ArnoqsECgzfssJvMCuljH

1) CHECK for approx. 60mm spacing between heatsink mount points. Measure that your card has this.
I believe some of the high end Decklink models have a larger heatsink size.

2) buy Enzotech SLF-40mm copper heatsink (low noise fan is included)
http://www.enzotechnology.com/slf_40mm.htm
This is heavy, high quality copper heatsink. It fits directly onto the card without any modification.

3) Remove old heatsink. Install new heatsink onto the card using the silicon paste included with the Enzotech heatsink, or something like Noctua thermal paste.

4) Fan connector needs to be changed from the stock cooler to Enzotech. This can be done using 3M "Scotchlock" UY2 connectors without owning solder or wire strippers. Red wire goes to red wire. Black wire goes to black wire. Yellow wire goes to white wire. In my case I just soldered them.

5) Mount the card to computer and test that the fan spins.
Last edited by Harri Järvinen on Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:01 pm, edited 6 times in total.
RTX 4080, Ryzen 7th Gen, 64 RAM
  • Resolve 18.6 /w Decklink 8k Pro
  • Nvidia Studio Driver
  • Win10

Kays Alatrakchi

Re: Easy heatsink & fan replacement guide for Decklink cards

PostThu Feb 06, 2020 4:35 pm

Thank you for this, but is it necessary? Have you had issues with the card overheating in the past?
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

Harri Järvinen

PostThu Feb 06, 2020 7:33 pm

Kays Alatrakchi wrote:Thank you for this, but is it necessary? Have you had issues with the card overheating in the past?

No issues, but the fan was really loud and it bothered me.
Seen some videos etc of people replacing the heatsink and fan so I wanted to share this.
RTX 4080, Ryzen 7th Gen, 64 RAM
  • Resolve 18.6 /w Decklink 8k Pro
  • Nvidia Studio Driver
  • Win10

dakahler

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 7:47 pm

For anyone else who finds this thread, here's the solution I came up with. I wasn't able to find the heatsink mentioned above, so just replaced the fan with a quieter one. I chose a Noctua 60mm PWM model:

amazon.com/gp/product/B00VXTANZ4

I paired this to a SATA power adapter, because I just want it to run at full speed all the time. It's still much quieter than the original fan:

amazon.com/gp/product/B0837PKS8H

I attached it with 2 6" zip ties through the holes at the top and bottom of the original heatsink:

amazon.com/gp/product/B07P7MRK9Y

This is on my quad hdmi card, but it looks like it would fit similarly on others.

TonyLewis

PostTue Oct 20, 2020 3:49 pm

Here is the heatsink from someone other than manufacturer, at a signiificantly lower cost:

http://www.xoxide.com/enzotech-slf40low ... tsink.html
I7 @3.6mhz, 32G RAM, W7100 GPU, Intensity Pro 4K capture and display card
Resolve Studio, Fusion Studio, After Effects
Windows 10 Pro x64

mirekti

PostWed Jan 13, 2021 2:16 pm

Harri Järvinen wrote:
1) buy Enzotech SLF-40mm copper heatsink (30db fan is included)
This is heavy, high quality copper heatsink. It fits directly onto the card without any modification.

Could this fan be replaced with something like NF-A4x20?
Is the fan 5V or 12V?

Thanks and cheers.

Aaron Hightower

PostSun Feb 06, 2022 2:17 pm

There are a lot of "northbridge" coolers you can find on E-bay that will work, but measure the hole-distance on YOUR card first before you move forward.

The question about replacing the 40mm fan on the Enzotech, the answer is yes, you can replace it, but the clearance may be less compatiable with adjacent cards.

This is one of those problems where there are an infinite number of ways to screw this up; and so I think that there are two goals:

(1) is it quiet enough
(2) did you screw it up?

I think the best answer is to put all your money into a quieter fan that is physically larger and take up two-card-slots worth of space to do it if #1 is important enough. #2 is mitigated with a drill and some zip-ties.

I spent plenty of time weighing options, and I think that the guy who showed how to have an always-on fan on your rig is pointing out what the professional solution looks like for someone who doesn't care what is looks like as much as what it sounds like (if you don't want background noise of your computer running).

There are also water-cooling solutions for this if you have a water-cooled solution and want super-quiet operation.

blackcountrybill

PostThu Oct 26, 2023 1:18 pm

I've been plagued by this problem too and the only slot on my board I could put the Decklink in is the bottom one meaning an additional fan wouldn't fit in.

I had to get creative and print a mount to fit the fan on the side and blow through the (replacement) heatsink.

Files can be downloaded for the Mini Monitor 4k here on Thingiverse if your search 6283144

stereodan

PostFri Mar 22, 2024 5:27 pm

Just posting in here to update with an alternative, simpler solution. All you need is any quality 40mm 12V fan.

There are three small screws that secure the fan to the heatsink. Unscrew them and remove the fan.

Take the new 40mm 12V fan and strip away the outer housing. This basically involves using snippers to cut the (usually 3) plastic spokes that hold the plastic housing around the fan.

Use epoxy to secure the new stripped-down fan assembly to the center of the heatsink and swap the connector. Done.

Steve Fishwick

PostSun Mar 24, 2024 10:51 pm

My Ultrastudio 4K Mini is making a hell of a racket now; and that's after only 4 years. Non of my other pro gear gets this only cheap laptops with very cheap 2 dollar fans - but I guess that's the price we pay for value for money.

The mini rack mounted units use, I believe a 40x40x20 4 pin PWM type fan with a non standard 1.5mm 4-pin mini female connector. I'm going to have to solder the existing connector to a Noctua NF-A4x20 quiet fan, which I believe is similar.

Return to Post Production