When will License key arrive?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

EltonBoo

When will License key arrive?

PostSun Jan 10, 2021 8:05 am

I ordered my Studio version on the 24th November (in the UK via CVP) and there is still no news on the ETA for me getting the license key? I know it is physically mailed, but this seems like a really long wait given most software is an instant notification of your license key after purchase.

Does anyone know how long it should take? I keep coming across ‘upgrade’ messages when I try to do certain things in Resolve and I’m sat there thinking, I did, almost 2 months ago!!

Jim Simon

Re: When will License key arrive?

PostSun Jan 10, 2021 3:44 pm

EltonBoo wrote:Does anyone know how long it should take?

No. :cry:
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

EltonBoo

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 7:26 am

I take it this is a massive issue then and I am just one of many. Not sure why we can’t just get the license keys out separately??

Gregg Lentz

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 9:22 am

EltonBoo wrote:Not sure why we can’t just get the license keys out separately??

By "separately" I can only assume you're talking about the DaVinci Resolve/Speed Editor promotion? If this is indeed so, from what I understand it was BMD's decision to only allow resellers to ship complete bundles... I can only guess to prevent incomplete or double shipment errors on the reseller's part, or customers trying to game the system for additional activation keys and such by claiming they never received them.

Uli Plank

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 9:49 am

Or to stop resellers from selling them separately once the introductory period is over and you have to pay for both.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

EltonBoo

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 10:13 pm

Yes, It is the editors keys promotion. It just turned out for me that I looked into Resolve (previously been on Premiere) at the time of the deal!! I am sure I will use the keys, so it will all have been worth the wait!

Update... Having posted this, I got the DPD email confirming delivery tomorrow. Sod’s Law. If I hadn’t created the post, I’d still be waiting and since I did, no need!! Anyway, loving the free version and have spent the time learning what I can and getting used to nodes which are so much easier than layers in AE. Now can’t wait to get stuck into the Studio features, first up 3D camera tracking...

Uli Plank

PostWed Jan 13, 2021 2:24 am

Uuuh, Fusion territory! If anything doesn't work as expected, use the standalone version.
Much better, IMHO, and the key unlocks it too.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Mark Armistead

PostWed Jan 13, 2021 5:29 pm

EltonBoo wrote:Yes, It is the editors keys promotion. It just turned out for me that I looked into Resolve (previously been on Premiere) at the time of the deal!! I am sure I will use the keys, so it will all have been worth the wait!

Update... Having posted this, I got the DPD email confirming delivery tomorrow. Sod’s Law. If I hadn’t created the post, I’d still be waiting and since I did, no need!! Anyway, loving the free version and have spent the time learning what I can and getting used to nodes which are so much easier than layers in AE. Now can’t wait to get stuck into the Studio features, first up 3D camera tracking...

I've received my Speed Editor order from CVP this mooning. No key contained with the unit itself. No idea what's going on with no follow up mail from CVP. I guess I'll give them a nudge.

Daniel Portillo

PostWed Jan 13, 2021 5:52 pm

Mark Armistead wrote:I've received my Speed Editor order from CVP this mooning. No key contained with the unit itself. No idea what's going on with no follow up mail from CVP. I guess I'll give them a nudge.

Hope you get that sorted asap. Btw, when did you place the order?

EltonBoo

PostThu Jan 14, 2021 7:27 am

I've received my Speed Editor order from CVP this mooning. No key contained with the unit itself. No idea what's going on with no follow up mail from CVP. I guess I'll give them a nudge.

It turned out that my DPD package was just the license, not the editors keys. Much sooner that way, but shows they could have been separated!

EltonBoo

PostThu Jan 14, 2021 7:32 am

Daniel Portillo wrote:Hope you get that sorted asap. Btw, when did you place the order?

I ordered 24th November. The frustrating part for me initially was that having done a lot of looking online, I realised this whole issue around most places selling a snail mail license key, but also saw that some did it digitally. I asked the question and was told it was an email after the purchase. Then obviously found out it was a 2 week delivery, then had no information except the weekly chase from me. Now, even the DPD package had no info to say 1 of 2, or ‘we expect to ship your other item shortly’ etc. I chased yesterday to say when do we expect the editors keys and still no reply. Wondering now if its a cup issue?

If the software wasn’t so good, I think there would be a lot of people just saying refund me.

EltonBoo

PostThu Jan 14, 2021 7:35 am

Uli Plank wrote:Uuuh, Fusion territory! If anything doesn't work as expected, use the standalone version.
Much better, IMHO, and the key unlocks it too.

Thanks Uli, yes, I am loving Fusion. OK, will download the standalone. I hadn’t done that yet as most tutorials say it will work the same in resolve. Will do now though.

roger.magnusson

PostThu Jan 14, 2021 10:46 am

I ordered from CVP on November 11th. Back then they still had v16 activation keys in stock so they sent that immediately. The Speed Editor was delivered today.

Return to DaVinci Resolve