2 M/E 4k Network Connection question

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Jon Huff

2 M/E 4k Network Connection question

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 4:03 pm

Howdy,

I have had an intermittent issue that I haven't been able to pin point.

We have a 4k Broadcast switcher that is loosing connection between the Broadcast Panels (2 - 1 M/E panels) and the computer connected to the switcher.

It has happened 3 Sundays in a row, about the same time of day. We have run 3 of our services and then just before our fourth, everything disconnects. The only thing the remedies the issue is a power cycle of the switcher.

The temperature of the box seems normal, not too hot to the touch, and it's well vented in the rack. The System is on a Cisco SG300 switch and we are running 7.2 firmware on the ATEM.

This is a new issue since we've moved to 7.2. Are there any other instances of this happening out there?
I've seen comments about "maximum network connections" but I haven't been able to find any exact for that.

Connected to the switcher we have:
2 - Broadcast panels
1 - Control compter
1 - iPad (for remote control)
2 - iPods (for Tally)

I can't imagine that 6 connections would freak it out.

I am thinking of rolling back the firmware to see if that helps. Any other thoughts out there?

Thanks!
Jon Huff
Technical Director
Canyon Hills Church
Bothell, WA

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

Re: 2 M/E 4k Network Connection question

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 4:34 pm

Hello Jon. WiFi control may be problematic. If the wireless controller misses too many packets the connections may be lost. I would recommend testing your configuration without any wireless connections to see if this is causing your issue. Also make sure you are using a proper switch (Gigabit recommended) and not an Ethernet hub for your connections.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Jon Huff

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 10:48 pm

Thanks Gary,

I will give it a whirl w/o the wireless connected and see if we continue to have issues.
Jon Huff
Technical Director
Canyon Hills Church
Bothell, WA

Thomas Seewald

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 9:09 am

When wireless communication fails, a new (!) connetion will be estabished. So you will reach the maximum number of connections and control of ATEM fails....
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

TDrury

PostThu Jan 14, 2021 8:09 pm

I know this is an old post but did you ever figure out what the problem was Jon? We have a similar setup with no wireless and seem to have the same issue every once in a while and can't find the cause. Thanks!

Return to Live Production