Cannot Connect Ursa Mini G2 to External Monitor. Help?!

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

evnchn

Cannot Connect Ursa Mini G2 to External Monitor. Help?!

PostFri Jan 15, 2021 5:05 pm

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a used Ursa Mini Pro G2 and hoped to run it through a Feelworld LUT7S 4K monitor via either SDI port (front or back). But after trying to connect the two for several hours, I still have had no luck whatsoever. Regardless of in camera setting, the monitor continues to show a blank, grey screen along with a message indicating the lack of an SDI connection. I’ve gone through multiple threads about the issue and adjusted virtually every single option in the menu, but nothing’s changed. I reached out to the seller and he informed me that everything was fully functional prior to shipment. The monitor and SDI cable are brand new, so I’m not sure if those could be the root of the problem.

Does anyone have experience or further feedback on the topic? Thank you so much in advance.

Travis Hodgkinson

Re: Cannot Connect Ursa Mini G2 to External Monitor. Help?!

PostFri Jan 15, 2021 8:54 pm

Hey mate, under the monitor setting. Think its the second screen along on the monitor page, Mae sure you've haven't got output set to 2160p. Needs to be 1080p.
Also obviously make sure your cable supports 4k output and not only 1080p. I'm sure the LUT7s supports 4K HDMI in not SDI 4K.

Let me know how you go.
Freelance Camera Op & Cinematographer based in Brisbane, Australia.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Weapons: URSA 12K + Canon XF605 + Hero 10 + Pocket 6K Pro
Optics: DZO Pictor Zooms + SLR Magic Hyper Prime + Tokina Cinema Zoom

Ellory Yu

PostFri Jan 15, 2021 10:09 pm

Also, connect it to the 3G SDI on the camera, which is on the front right side and not the 12G SDI that's on the rear end.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

evnchn

PostSun Jan 17, 2021 7:53 pm

Travis Hodgkinson wrote:Hey mate, under the monitor setting. Think its the second screen along on the monitor page, Mae sure you've haven't got output set to 2160p. Needs to be 1080p.
Also obviously make sure your cable supports 4k output and not only 1080p. I'm sure the LUT7s supports 4K HDMI in not SDI 4K.

Let me know how you go.

Hey Travis, thanks for the input! I’ve ordered a new 4K, 12G BNC cable. In the meantime, I have a 3G BNC connecting the monitor to the front, 3G SDI on the Ursa Mini G2, but the display is still showing grey. I have it set to 1080p as well, but still nothing. Could there be something wrong with the actual camera ports themselves?

evnchn

PostSun Jan 17, 2021 7:54 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:Also, connect it to the 3G SDI on the camera, which is on the front right side and not the 12G SDI that's on the rear end.

Thanks Ellory, I currently have it connected to the front 3G SDI as you suggested, but still not luck.

Travis Hodgkinson

PostTue Jan 19, 2021 9:03 pm

Have you checked the monitor setting like I mentioned?

evnchn

PostThu Jan 21, 2021 1:44 am

Travis Hodgkinson wrote:Have you checked the monitor setting like I mentioned?

Yes I have, still no luck. I’ve also tried a new 12G, 4K BNC cable but the screen still shows grey.

Travis Hodgkinson

PostThu Jan 21, 2021 2:51 am

Ok man, so you're getting a grey screen..
This happened to us on our LUT7S. We connected a battery to the monitor and then back to the 12V cable. That presented us with an image eventually. Continuously unplugging and reconnecting the cable also helps.

Travis Hodgkinson

PostThu Jan 21, 2021 2:54 am

This is going to sound weird man, but I reckon the monitor needs to heat up :)
Like 2200 nits is hella bright hey! I found after a couple of minutes left connected, I powered down then back on and I get the Feelworld logo.

evnchn

PostThu Jan 21, 2021 2:56 am

Travis Hodgkinson wrote:Ok man, so you're getting a grey screen..
This happened to us on our LUT7S. We connected a battery to the monitor and then back to the 12V cable. That presented us with an image eventually. Continuously unplugging and reconnecting the cable also helps.

Thanks Travis, I'll give that a shot. I'm still waiting on a 12v power cable, so I'm wondering if that'll work with the monitor batteries/12G BNC cable in the meantime? Also, do you recommend powering the camera down between tries to avoid hotplugging?

Travis Hodgkinson

PostThu Jan 21, 2021 3:00 am

Absolutely man. Cheaper monitors like these don't do all that well just losing power.

So we bought two cables. An XLR to 12v 2.5mm barrel and a D-Rap to 12v 2.5mm barrel.
They both work, and so do batteries. This monitor is very hungry though, so unless you're rocking a big v mount battery like the IDX 290 I'd stay with NPF batteries on the back.

We've haven't tried updating the monitor yet, maybe that will help... But yeah man we've experienced the exact same thing. I think It just needs power for a couple of minutes and then it's right to go. Just a thought. Let me know how you go chief

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jan 21, 2021 5:04 am

I cannot help with the monitor but if you want to verify the SDI ports simply connect each output to the SDI input and push the PGM button. You should see the camera in the viewfinder. The camera reference should be set to internal in the setup menu or the picture will breakup when feeding output to input. Hope this helps. Stay safe.

Regards. Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

evnchn

PostThu Jan 21, 2021 6:16 am

Gary Adams wrote:I cannot help with the monitor but if you want to verify the SDI ports simply connect each output to the SDI input and push the PGM button. You should see the camera in the viewfinder. The camera reference should be set to internal in the setup menu or the picture will breakup when feeding output to input. Hope this helps. Stay safe.

Regards. Gary

Hi Gary, thanks for your input! If you don't mind could you help clarify/simplify the necessary steps? I'm new to this whole system so any further detail will help. In addition, I don't currently own an Ursa Viewfinder so will I be able to act upon this?

evnchn

PostThu Jan 21, 2021 6:17 am

Travis Hodgkinson wrote:Absolutely man. Cheaper monitors like these don't do all that well just losing power.

So we bought two cables. An XLR to 12v 2.5mm barrel and a D-Rap to 12v 2.5mm barrel.
They both work, and so do batteries. This monitor is very hungry though, so unless you're rocking a big v mount battery like the IDX 290 I'd stay with NPF batteries on the back.

We've haven't tried updating the monitor yet, maybe that will help... But yeah man we've experienced the exact same thing. I think It just needs power for a couple of minutes and then it's right to go. Just a thought. Let me know how you go chief

Just gave it a go, but still no luck :( Regardless, I greatly appreciate your help. I may just have to contact the seller for a replacement unit and hope for the best.

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jan 21, 2021 5:49 pm

Hello Even. By viewfinder, I meant the hinged video display on the camera. By feeding each SDI output (front and back) to the input, you should see the camera video when hitting the Program button. That will verify both SDI In and out. It's just an I/O check. If that is blank then it is probably a support issue. If that video works, then possibly make sure the project frame rate of the camera is supported by your monitor. Sometimes users have monitors that don't work with all of the camera's frame rates. Stay safe. And trying different monitors is also a troubleshooting method.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Craig Sawyer

PostThu Jan 21, 2021 5:53 pm

evnchn wrote:
Gary Adams wrote:I cannot help with the monitor but if you want to verify the SDI ports simply connect each output to the SDI input and push the PGM button. You should see the camera in the viewfinder. The camera reference should be set to internal in the setup menu or the picture will breakup when feeding output to input. Hope this helps. Stay safe.

Regards. Gary

Hi Gary, thanks for your input! If you don't mind could you help clarify/simplify the necessary steps? I'm new to this whole system so any further detail will help. In addition, I don't currently own an Ursa Viewfinder so will I be able to act upon this?

Run an SDI cable between the SDI out and SDI in connection ports then press (and hold) the PGM button, it’s the physical button near the record / play etc. You don’t need a viewfinder; just a cable
URSA Mini Pro G1, BMPCC6K x 2, BMPCC4K, ATEM Mini Pro

evnchn

PostThu Jan 21, 2021 6:26 pm

Craig Sawyer wrote:
evnchn wrote:

Regards. Gary

Run an SDI cable between the SDI out and SDI in connection ports then press (and hold) the PGM button, it’s the physical button near the record / play etc. You don’t need a viewfinder; just a cable

Got it, thanks Gary! I ran the cable through both the 3G/12G SDI Outs to the Back SDI In and a mirror image appeared in the viewfinder when I press the PGM button. It must be the monitor! I will test out another brand and update you.

Travis Hodgkinson

PostMon Feb 01, 2021 2:53 pm

Alright, so I've been in contact with the company and they sent through a video of how to reconnect the internal cabling. It's not as daunting as it sounds. Apparently the LUT7s model has had these issues since it's release. It makes me think that on the production line, QC wasn't a high standard as the cables internally are literally held together by some tape. No soldering or anything.

If you're after the video, drop me a DM on here and I'll email it through to you.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 12.52.56 am.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 12.52.56 am.png (426.17 KiB) Viewed 2380 times

Neil-G

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 7:03 pm

Are you sure the monitor supports a 1080p signal, and not just 1080i? My viewfinder only supports 1080i so I have to set the URSA to record at 50fps (I live in PAL 25fps land) so that the front SDI can be set to 1080i. Unless you change the fps the 1080i is not selectable.

Return to Cinematography