Adding silence at the head/tail of audio clips

• Author

Videoneth

• Warnings: 1

Adding silence at the head/tail of audio clips

PostSat Jan 16, 2021 3:39 pm

It's easier to explain with this screenshot.

The first audio clip has no silence at the beginning and the end. So when an effect like echo is applied directly to it , it cuts abruptly at the end of the clip.

Of course, putting the effect on the whole track solve this problem, and create another.

The best example is the echo effect. When we want to add different types of echo (or any other effect that goes "beyond" the length of the clip), the track method can get messy pretty quickly. 3, 4 or more different echo/reverb/etc? You have to put each on their on track. It's a total waste of space.

What I'm requesting is to be able to expand any audio clip (beginning and end) with silence, like the second one on the screenshot, so we could stack many audio clips with many different effects directly applied to them, on just two tracks. And be able to make interesting overlaps without having 5-10 tracks to do that.

It could be just a right click on an audio clip with an option to "unlock" it. Or a ctrl(alt or ****)+click
Attachments
audio.jpg
audio.jpg (32.66 KiB) Viewed 3821 times
Windows 10
19b
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

SandroSchreiber

Re: Adding silence at the head/tail of audio clips

PostMon Jan 18, 2021 8:47 am

+1
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Resolve Mini Panel | Win11 23H2
GeForce RTX4090 (552.22 studio driver) | DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K, Desktop Video 12.8.1

Reynaud Venter

PostMon Jan 18, 2021 9:12 am

Maxwellx wrote:The first audio clip has no silence at the beginning and the end. So when an effect like echo is applied directly to it , it cuts abruptly at the end of the clip.
The plugin window's Additional Options (3 dots) menu provides an "Enable Bounce Tail" option which can be selected prior to the "Bounce Audio Effect" function.

Enabling "Bounce Tail" will expose a Tail Threshold parameter.

Videoneth

• Warnings: 1

PostMon Jan 18, 2021 12:00 pm

Reynaud Venter wrote:
Maxwellx wrote:The first audio clip has no silence at the beginning and the end. So when an effect like echo is applied directly to it , it cuts abruptly at the end of the clip.
The plugin window's Additional Options (3 dots) menu provides an "Enable Bounce Tail" option which can be selected prior to the "Bounce Audio Effect" function.

Thanks for the tips, I will definitely use it sometimes... I didn't have the right terms in mind related to audio for my search in the manual (bounce, tail, etc).

The thing is, it creates a new audio clip with the effect backed in, so it can't be modified afterward.
AND, if there is an audio clip next to it, it will not push it but get over it. It saves the new audio file in the "capture" folder. So it's an extra step to have it with the rest of the medias.

I totally get the usefulness of it, to "design" sound individually, but I think it doesn't replace the feature request that would be much more flexible, directly on the edit page.

OR maybe having new "tail" option in that menu that will just act like an effect put on a whole track (but for each clip individually)
Windows 10
19b
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

Reynaud Venter

PostMon Jan 18, 2021 1:14 pm

Maxwellx wrote:The thing is, it creates a new audio clip with the effect backed in, so it can't be modified afterward.
The unprocessed source audio with the Clip-based plugin still in place is always available on the lowest layer on the Track.

View menu > View Audio Track Layers

AND, if there is an audio clip next to it, it will not push it but get over it. It saves the new audio file in the "capture" folder. So it's an extra step to have it with the rest of the medias.
Ensure Layered Editing is enabled.

Timeline menu > Layered Audio Editing

ResolveNoob

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 6:57 pm

Hi. First of all, thank you for the replies. Very useful information. I have tried enabling the bounce tail option but it seems to be making no difference whatsoever. Am I missing something here?
I understand that the "bounce audio effect" option effectively bakes the effect in, which is useful but nothing changes when I "enable bounce tail".
Reynaud Venter wrote:

Reynaud Venter

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 7:13 pm

ResolveNoob wrote:I understand that the "bounce audio effect" option effectively bakes the effect in, which is useful but nothing changes when I "enable bounce tail"
If the “Enable Bounce Tail” option is enabled in the Additional Options (3 dots) menu followed either by the “Bounce Audio Effect” command in the same menu or via the Clip's contextual menu “Bounce Audio Effects” command, the Audio Clip's duration will be extended once the bounce has completed.

ResolveNoob

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 10:39 pm

It works now. Thank you.

Reynaud Venter wrote:
ResolveNoob wrote:I understand that the "bounce audio effect" option effectively bakes the effect in, which is useful but nothing changes when I "enable bounce tail"
If the “Enable Bounce Tail” option is enabled in the Additional Options (3 dots) menu followed either by the “Bounce Audio Effect” command in the same menu or via the Clip's contextual menu “Bounce Audio Effects” command, the Audio Clip's duration will be extended once the bounce has completed.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests