Drone for filmmaking

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

david evans

Drone for filmmaking

PostSun Nov 01, 2020 7:59 pm

Hi guys

I wanted to get a drone for some indie filmmaking, but not really impressed with some of the prosumer drones footage I've seen on YouTube.

Anyone knows of a good drone for filmmaking that doesn't break the bank? Maybe a drone that could fly a micro cinema camera...

Thanks

jallen0

Re: Drone for filmmaking

PostSun Nov 01, 2020 8:19 pm

A Mavic Pro 2 all in will run between $1500 - $2200 and it's one of the best at that pricing. If you want to carry a camera then you are jumping up past the $6000 numbers.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

Uli Plank

PostMon Nov 02, 2020 10:53 am

The Mavic Air 2 is quite good for the price. In hi-con situations, I would not use the D-Cinelike profile, which is hard to grade from 8 bit, but the so-called HDR. Tell me if you need examples.

Its 4K (actually UHD) looks quite good when downsampled since the bitrate is good. And then, it can do photos and Hyperlapse in RAW (DNG). Resolve is taking such sequences without a hitch.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Boscom

PostMon Nov 02, 2020 11:09 am

A lot of the footage you see from prosumer drones will be shot with 'out of the box' settings so often looks over sharpened and over saturated, not to mention shot with odd shutter speeds from not using ND's when needed.

In the case of the Mavic 2 pro, if you shoot 10bit log, turn down the in-camera sharpening and grade it correcly it can look ok. Higher iso's might need a bit of noise reduction also.

DannyTaddei

PostTue Nov 03, 2020 4:36 am

david evans wrote:Hi guys

I wanted to get a drone for some indie filmmaking, but not really impressed with some of the prosumer drones footage I've seen on YouTube.

Anyone knows of a good drone for filmmaking that doesn't break the bank? Maybe a drone that could fly a micro cinema camera...

Thanks

I own 2 of the typhoon H pro drones. The CGO3 camera is actually quite good. It is all in how you use it and not falling prey to being satisfied with the camera being in the air.
The Mavic pro2 has a good quality shot but I don’t think it is as good as the CGO3 camera and the newer cameras that Yuneec is using are better than what I have. There are pros and cons with both platforms but the Yuneec would have been a much more popular drone if the owner had not messed around and got caught leaving the business to his ex wife and the attorney.
Mavic is a huge company but from what I understand, it cannot be used on military projects and or many government projects due to the way you get tracked through an insecure ap. If you do any sort of government contracting you better look into to that to see if it is still an issue. You’ll lose work if it is and you go Mavic.
Back to the typhoon... the versions I have has real sense and that sucks big time. The newer models preform much better I all ways.
I hope that helps a bit.
The reason I stayed with those two is because unless you want to put out 6,000 or more and take a chance with a very expensive camera, those are your choices. Even then, I have a guy I work with from time to time, lose his 70,000 dollar bird, with a thermal camera on it, due to a faulty software update. There was not a lot of profit for him that day! They all crash and I’d rather loose a lot less money when they do.

robedge

PostTue Nov 03, 2020 3:21 pm

DannyTaddei wrote:
david evans wrote:I own 2 of the typhoon H pro drones. The CGO3 camera is actually quite good. It is all in how you use it and not falling prey to being satisfied with the camera being in the air.
The Mavic pro2 has a good quality shot but I don’t think it is as good as the CGO3 camera and the newer cameras that Yuneec is using are better than what I have. There are pros and cons with both platforms but the Yuneec would have been a much more popular drone if the owner had not messed around and got caught leaving the business to his ex wife and the attorney.
Mavic is a huge company but from what I understand, it cannot be used on military projects and or many government projects due to the way you get tracked through an insecure ap. If you do any sort of government contracting you better look into to that to see if it is still an issue. You’ll lose work if it is and you go Mavic.
Back to the typhoon... the versions I have has real sense and that sucks big time. The newer models preform much better I all ways.
I hope that helps a bit.
The reason I stayed with those two is because unless you want to put out 6,000 or more and take a chance with a very expensive camera, those are your choices. Even then, I have a guy I work with from time to time, lose his 70,000 dollar bird, with a thermal camera on it, due to a faulty software update. There was not a lot of profit for him that day! They all crash and I’d rather loose a lot less money when they do.

Very interesting post that gave me a smile at the end :)
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices

Mark Foster

PostWed Nov 04, 2020 10:48 am

cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Mark Foster

PostWed Nov 04, 2020 11:00 am

but I think this is one level higher ; -)

or a BMPCC 4k inside a FPV drone

macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

david evans

PostSun Nov 08, 2020 6:54 pm

Thanks guys. Any suggestions between the mavic air 2 pro and the zoom?

Mark Foster

PostSun Nov 08, 2020 8:45 pm

david evans wrote:Thanks guys. Any suggestions between the mavic air 2 pro and the zoom?

the mavic air 2 has the more better camera than a mavic 2 zoom
the mavic 2 pro has a better camera than the mavic air 2
a phantom 4 pro has a better camera than a mavic 2 pro
the inspire2 X5 is a . . . .
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

jallen0

PostSun Nov 08, 2020 11:24 pm

Let me ask about the Autel EVO II Pro vs the Mavic Pro. I think the picture quality is better on the Evo II Pro but ease of use is better with the Mavic Pro. Does anyone have real world experience with both of these drones?
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

robedge

PostMon Nov 09, 2020 3:46 pm

Sony is joining the party: https://www.dpreview.com/news/731443493 ... peak-brand

The DP Review story includes one of the patent drawings. Teaser released today:

david evans

PostTue Nov 10, 2020 2:17 pm

Mark Foster wrote:
david evans wrote:Thanks guys. Any suggestions between the mavic air 2 pro and the zoom?

the mavic air 2 has the more better camera than a mavic 2 zoom
the mavic 2 pro has a better camera than the mavic air 2
a phantom 4 pro has a better camera than a mavic 2 pro
the inspire2 X5 is a . . . .

Hi, I've also read the Phantom 4 pro v2.0 has the better camera but is it true that it only shoots 8-bit?? If this is true, the Mavic's 10-bit should have the edge here...

robedge

PostTue Nov 10, 2020 4:02 pm

robedge wrote:Sony is joining the party: https://www.dpreview.com/news/731443493 ... peak-brand

The DP Review story includes one of the patent drawings. Teaser released today:

Sony's dedicated page for the Airpeak drone: https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/airpeak/

robedge

PostMon Jan 18, 2021 4:12 pm

It's possible that the Airpeak will only work with Sony Alpha cameras.

Sony CEO introducing Airpeak at CES2021:'

Promo footage (shot in Austria):

Regi579

PostSat Oct 16, 2021 6:57 am

Hey, what did you choose finally? To my mind, there are a lot of options from DJI(from beginners to pro models). They got perfect cameras and mobility. And the price matters also.
Last edited by Regi579 on Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

carlomacchiavello

PostSat Oct 23, 2021 2:25 pm

You not declare your budget, until that … only words and supposition
Declare your budget.
My suggest is to find a good drone pilot with a pro drone where you are, and you have best quality for best price every time.
Drive a drone is not a joke, especially if you go in bigger drone and pro drone. In Italy and not only It require license to fly, you need a assurance and more…
And to keep licence to fly at pro level you should fly xx hours per year.
If you talk about a small under 250 gr drone ok, if you go over check very well the law in your place. I had many friends that fly with drones from years (first from 2012), and is not a simple turn on and fly.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

ShaheedMalik

PostSat Nov 06, 2021 8:48 pm

Blackmagic needs to go ahead and release a Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera 4k. I know there is a Blackmagic Micro Studio Camera 4k but that doesn't record.

Olivier Burri

PostSun Nov 07, 2021 7:32 am

Your request has been granted, your prayers answered.

Hasselblad 5.1 K

Prores 422 HQ

1TB SSD on board
Olivier G. Burri

Ellory Yu

PostMon Nov 08, 2021 3:42 am

Kim Janson wrote:Yes, that has very good integration of everything needed, at very affordable price.

$5K USD is not affordable. Drones are not used in every filmmaking events and not many pays well for drone images. Big budget films will just hire a pro drone team and they do not use a prosumer drone solution like the Mavic 3.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Darko Djerich

PostMon Nov 08, 2021 4:47 am

DJI Inspire 1 4K RAW is now dirt cheap and very capable but batteries are hard to find.

I was Chief Pilot drone Cinematographer on 11th November 2020, shot this with EVO 2 Pro @4k/60,
Autel Evo 2 Pro was just released and I think I went on the shoot week later.
Had 3 other back up options but I thought it did well and it was very safe drone to fly with all obstacle avoidance technology.

Filmed at Maroubra Beach, Australia with all permits and licenses in place.

It is definitely capable ,I would not say it is cinema drone though.

Artist
Creative Film Enterprises Pty Ltd
creativefilm.com.au
ARRI Alexa EV, ALEXA Plus, MBP M3Pro, iMac5k i7 48gb AERO 5 OLED rtx3070ti BMD eGPU phase one p40+, UM4.6 ef bmcc ef bmpcc, speed editor, Ultrastudio mini 4k dji Inspire RAW 4K

Darko Djerich

PostMon Nov 08, 2021 5:14 am

Kim Janson wrote:I do think $5K USD is very affordable for the performance it offers, and for those who can not afford it there is plenty of good much lower const alternatives from DJI.

Big productions for sure will be using drone teams also in future, currently still because of the technical performance also but in future more because of to get the shot it requires skills, some one who can actually fly the drone and has eye how to fly it for the wanted result, but also and probably mostly because of the related risks and responsibilities.

However, I would not be surprised these professional teams using Mavic 3 or 4 for some shots that require a small and agile drone. And sadly in few years I do think there will be only few truly professional teams that get hired for the big productions.

And even more sadly there will be plenty of filmmakers with attitude we can see on these Mavic 3 reviews "where is the drone, so what it says there for ever" and "awesome it provides solid video up to 15 km"

Ellory Yu wrote:
Kim Janson wrote:Yes, that has very good integration of everything needed, at very affordable price.

$5K USD is not affordable. Drones are not used in every filmmaking events and not many pays well for drone images. Big budget films will just hire a pro drone team and they do not use a prosumer drone solution like the Mavic 3.

I think used Inspire 2 is lot better option for the money.
On Mavic 3 you are stuck with f2.8 lens, on m4/3 sensor.
It is excellent drone but I also think expensive for what it offers.

Inspire 2, even Inspire 1 RAW is better option for serious cinematographer.
Artist
creativefilm.com.au
ARRI Alexa EV, ALEXA Plus, MBP M3Pro, iMac5k i7 48gb AERO 5 OLED rtx3070ti BMD eGPU phase one p40+, UM4.6 ef bmcc ef bmpcc, speed editor, Ultrastudio mini 4k dji Inspire RAW 4K

carlomacchiavello

PostMon Nov 08, 2021 7:05 pm

Darko Djerich wrote:
Kim Janson wrote:I do think $5K USD is very affordable for the performance it offers, and for those who can not afford it there is plenty of good much lower const alternatives from DJI.

Big productions for sure will be using drone teams also in future, currently still because of the technical performance also but in future more because of to get the shot it requires skills, some one who can actually fly the drone and has eye how to fly it for the wanted result, but also and probably mostly because of the related risks and responsibilities.

However, I would not be surprised these professional teams using Mavic 3 or 4 for some shots that require a small and agile drone. And sadly in few years I do think there will be only few truly professional teams that get hired for the big productions.

And even more sadly there will be plenty of filmmakers with attitude we can see on these Mavic 3 reviews "where is the drone, so what it says there for ever" and "awesome it provides solid video up to 15 km"

Ellory Yu wrote:[quote="Kim Janson"]Yes, that has very good integration of everything needed, at very affordable price.

I think used Inspire 2 is lot better option for the money.
On Mavic 3 you are stuck with f2.8 lens, on m4/3 sensor.
It is excellent drone but I also think expensive for what it offers.

Inspire 2, even Inspire 1 RAW is better option for serious cinematographer.[/quote]I’m agree but don’t forget law, here in Italy you can fly with mavic with simple patent grab by internet test, never be with inspire that require to do a course and you should do exams to be enable to fly with drone over xxx size and weight. Mavic can be piloted from my nephew of 9 year, inspire require an approved pilot (I had two friends approved pilot with al three certification, basic, dangerous zone and instructor).
Is not only to have drone, but should able to fly with him. I don’t know in other place but here in Italy there are many restriction be cause people is stupid, two years ago a drone crash against San Marco Venice be cause guy is so stupid to fly without sensors (all Venice is no fly zone) and more stupid to go too near to San Marco Bell tower….

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Uli Plank

PostTue Nov 09, 2021 2:01 am

I think we have the same regulations all over Europe now.
And, yes, an existing freedom is often getting taken away because of a few stupid people.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

RCModelReviews

PostTue Nov 09, 2021 3:41 am

The new Mavic 3 Cine is probably the best proposition right now.

Smaller drones will always be safer and can allow for better shots in confined conditions.

Given the prices that a professional drone crew with rig will cost on a daily basis, $5K for the Mavic 3 Cine isn't too bad a deal if you've got someone on team who can get up to speed with flying it.

Really demanding drone shots will still require a more elaborate rig with two operators (one to fly the drone and one to operate the camera) but it's amazing what can be done with something like the Mavic.
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

Johannes Jonsson

PostThu Nov 11, 2021 11:30 am

Mavic 2 pro are fine drones with fine when shooting 10bit log, only limited control of the gimbal is not ideal for some shots.
The ideal drone is of course one with gimbal that offers 360 degree rotation and other unlimited control over gimbal moves with out the independent from the flight directions of the drone, and having separated controls for the pilot and camera operator is a huge plus.

I have Octo copter for such requirements (see picture below) X 8 would take less space then that one thought and planing one X-class for stunts but my Mavic 2 pro is my most used one because higher end is not always needed and are much more time consuming, so it is only a question about your needs really.
And now Mavic 3 Cine is really tempting.
Raven1420 minni.jpg
Raven1420 minni.jpg (828.51 KiB) Viewed 3242 times
Johannes

Darko Djerich

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 3:21 am

For anyone starting out with drones, in regards to flying safely and legally with little worry and ability
to get quality footage with very little investment while learning how to fly DJI Mini 2 drone should not be overlooked !

I just stumbled across this footage on YouTube, I think it will make anyone think twice about capability of this tiny but super friendly and impressive drone that also cope with wind like a champion while having lot less restrictions being sub 250 grams :
Artist
creativefilm.com.au

Uli Plank

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 4:41 am

The only thing I don't like about these little ones is non-adjustable edge enhancer. Very obvious with dark edges against light background. Same with my Mavic Air 2. These are very capable drones nevertheless.

Return to Cinematography