Resolve won't start

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve won't start

PostTue Jan 19, 2021 11:28 pm

The devs read these posts. I'm sure they'll take your data into consideration.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Big John

PostWed Jan 20, 2021 1:11 am

Thanks Dwaine - much appreciated.

Big John

PostSun Jan 31, 2021 1:27 am

The Developers it would appear do not read down as far as here!!

Other journalists are now becoming involved and are contacting their contacts at Blackmagic Design to see if they can get a resolution to this ongoing problem.

I would appear that the Intel Graphics only stop Resolve from staring up - once the program is up and running re-enabling the Intel Graphics does not stop the program from working...but once stopped it will not restart.

Surely this is something that your developers should be able to get to the bottom of - it is certainly not doing Blackmagic's reputation much good.

Maybe Dwaine you can escalate this to a higher level or maybe even senior management???

Your help would really be appreciated and maybe stop a great number of posts appearing on this Forum.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Feb 01, 2021 9:58 pm

I'm also frustrated by the Intel GPU issues. The dev team is aware.
Dwaine Maggart

Big John

PostTue Feb 02, 2021 1:06 am

Thanks Dwaine - your help and interest is appreciated,

Big John

PostFri Feb 26, 2021 1:04 am

24 Days - and no further response .
It would appear that the developers don't read this far down a post and leave it to poor Dwaine to try and pacify the unfortunate users on the forum.
Hopefully my other path to try and get a resolution (if you excuse the intended pun)via my press colleagues will have more success.
Hopefully we shall see.

KEENDAVID333

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 6:14 pm

Okay, you guys I did this by accident after reading the form and going through frustration I made it a short video. I'm hoping this helps a few people out there let me know. See Video here. --->

Code: Select all
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JARUudePllo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Big John

PostTue Mar 09, 2021 1:19 am

I just can't understand why the software designers seem to be stumped by this problem which is affecting a good number of people.
The program won't run - and when you call up the Task Manager - it would appear to be running as there is memory usage.
If you temporarily disable the Intel Graphics driver....then Resolve starts up without any problem.
Whilst the program is running if you then enable the Intel Graphics - Resolve continues working without problem!!
Close the program and then of course it won't restart,,,,so the problem appears to only occur at start up.
Surely this should be sortable??

Big John

PostMon Mar 29, 2021 11:47 pm

Installed 17.1 and it is exactly the same - starts when Intel driver is disabled.

itay ozari

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 6:39 am

Hi

Davinci resolve latest version won't open on my computer,
tried a large number of suggested solutions,

please help me

attached is my LOG files

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 6:17 pm

You apparently didn't try the main suggestion, which is to update the NVIDIA driver.

You have an old driver installed which does not support Resolve 17.

Update to the current NVIDIA driver for your RTX 2070 card at the NVIDIA Driver update site.

If you still have issues after that, provide another Resolve log AND a Windows System Information .NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart

BeVannoy

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 11:31 pm

Hi Dwaine,
Thank you for all the help you are providing us on this forum! We are so lucky to have you here solving our problems.

I am having the same issue. I have been running DR 17 on an Asus gaming laptop running Windows 10. The program opened yesterday morning just fine, then a few hours later it loaded the project manager, when I selected a project it went to a black screen, then I restarted my computer and was never able to load the program again at all.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program a couple of times and followed all of the steps suggested by Scott Fichter and unfortunately arrived here. I have updated to the newest version of NVIDIA Studio Driver, I have disabled the other driver during a previous issue, I have run in Win 8 compatibility mode, run as an admin, currently have no peripherals running.

Please find my Capture logs here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NmEdIH ... sp=sharing

Thank you for any help you can provide!

parksanim

PostSun Apr 11, 2021 11:57 am

Hello all...

I had the "won't start" issue with version 16 and 17, and I seem to have fixed it after trying some suggestions. I also had problems with resolve working at less than 50% speed in editing and rendering -- and only if I ran Resolve in Windows 8 compatibility mode.

I'd just like to reiterate what I did which seems to have me back to normal on version 16, anyway.

The culprit seemed to be a cloud HDD drive (My IPTIME NAS system). Someone suggested that removing cloud drives from the machine might help, and that seems to have done it for me. I'll just have to remember to turn the cloud drives off whenever I use Resolve. I'm now rendering at 155 to 190fps on version 16 again, which is great.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Apr 11, 2021 11:25 pm

@Breanna:

Your system was working on 4-9 at 6:20 AM.

At 2:26 PM, it was not working. You had updated the NVIDIA driver from 461.72 to 461.92. And while you have 2 displays connected to the NVIDIA GTX 1650 at 6:20, you now had one display connected to the onboard AMD graphics port. Having the display connected to the onboard graphics port appears to be the main reason Resolve was unhappy. You need to have any displays connected to the 1650 card.

At 2:50 PM, you had moved the single display to the 1650 card, but GL extensions still failed to load, preventing Resolve from starting.

What was different? Apparently the NVIDIA driver update to 461.92. Did you install the Studio version or the Game Ready version of 461.92?

Reinstall the NVIDIA 461.72 Studio driver, and see what that does. When you run the 461.72 driver installer, select the Custom install option, and select Clean install.

After 461.72 is installed and you've (likely) had to do a system reboot, launch Resolve and see if it loads. If it does, then there may be something about the 461.92 driver that is causing an issue, even though it works fine on my system with a GTX 1050Ti card. But maybe some interaction with the AMD CPU or iGPU. Let us know if it now works.

If Resolve still won't laod, generate another Resolve log. And in addition to that, run the Windows System Information app, and select the File - Save menu to generate a .NFO file. Send us both files.
Dwaine Maggart

BeVannoy

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 2:10 pm

Dwaine,
Thank you for responding right away! I have been just sick to my stomach.

When I am in my home office I have two external monitors. I then had to travel a little and so tried to work on the laptop only.

For the NVIDIA driver update: I used the Studio version - after troubleshooting earlier issues before I make sure to never use the game-ready.

I will connect displays o the 1650 card, reinstall the driver by your instructions for a clean install, reboot, and go from there - and will update you.

Thanks again for your response!

BeVannoy

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 2:28 pm

Dwaine,
You really are a miracle worker!

I was going to test the program after each suggestion you made. Here is what I did.

I switched over my monitors to the 1650 card. Changed the NVIDIA Power Management Mode to "Prefer Maximum performance" and thought I'd test the program and it loaded just fine, and more quickly than I'd experienced before.

I will keep your other solutions handy in case I need them in the future, but you've solved my problem.

Thank you thank you thank you!

Have a great week!

Big John

PostTue Apr 13, 2021 11:47 pm

As the program will start if the Intel graphics are disabled - then I have gone down the road of getting Intel involved in trying to resolve the situation.

They have been very helpful with trying out new drivers - one test we did was to remove the driver and then restart the machine,

Windows 10 then put in an old Intel driver ....and Resolve started up without a problem!

Whilst - yes I could leave that driver in....however the next Windows update would then automatically replace it with the latest version .....and the problem would be back.

All this information is being used by Intel in the hope that we can get some resolution to this ongoing problem .....although why on earth BMD haven't been talking too Intel about it is beyond me.

Let's hope it can be sorted - then Dwaine's workload will no doubt get much lighter!

Big John

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 1:22 pm

Dwaine - please can you answer the following question from the engineers at Intel as soon as possible:

' Since you are still in touch with DaVinci Resolve developer support team, have you checked on what was the potential root cause? Is there any special requirement for this software? Like using a non-DCH driver?'

Many thanks in anticipation of a speedy reply,

Best wishes,

John

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 8:03 am

No, I can't.
Dwaine Maggart
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve