Setup for recording and streaming

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

ricrempel

Setup for recording and streaming

PostMon Aug 19, 2013 2:11 pm

We do live stream and record DVDs of conferences and are changing our workflow from SD to HD. We just found out about Blackmagic products and thought they might be exactly what we need. After some research here's what we figured could work best for our requirements/budget:
    Blackmagic ATEM Television Studio switcher
    4 video sources - connected to TV Studio via HDMI in:
      2 Canon T4i
      1 Sony DV HVR-Z5U
      1 Kramer presentation switcher/scaler for PowerPoint presentations
    Audio from a Tascam US 800 interface that we want to use to convert analog from our audio switch to AES/EBU
    HP EliteBook 8560p notebook to run ATEM Control Panel and Media Express. This notebook will also record the H.264 files we'll use to make the DVD later on.
    A monitor for the HDMI multi view out of the TV Studio
    Blackmagic Intensity connected to HDMI Program Output of TV Studio
    A second notebook for streaming (running Ustream Producer Pro) connected to the Intensity for video and to the audio switch via analog connection. We'll choose this computer carefully, based on info we find in this forum.
    Linksys ethernet switch to connect notebooks, ATEM and internet
Now, I have a few questions:
    1 - Is there something clearly wrong with our plan and we didn't notice it?
    2 - Will the Tascam interface (http://tascam.com/product/us-800/specifications/) generate the right audio format for the Television Studio?
    3 - Should we expect much audio/video delay on either recording or streaming?
Thanks.

Liam Kennedy

Re: Setup for recording and streaming

PostMon Aug 19, 2013 5:23 pm

You camera choices may present you with some challenges.

A common issue with DSLR cameras are issues with how the HDMI out is implemented. The T4i is no exception. Check this post.

Mixing those with the Sony z5U (an HDV camera) may be a challenge to match the color balance/look.

Be prepared also for issues with distance as far as how long the HDMI cables can go.

I don't see anything on the TASCAM that would connect the output to the TVS. While the TASCAM does have SPDIF - that's not going to connect to anything on the TVS. How were you thinking of connecting it?

As for expecting any audio / video delay. You will have the usual 1 frame delay between the video and the audio. However... you may find the HDMI feed from those two Canon's is delayed in-camera. Any delay there is out of your control. I'm not saying it is delayed... but you might want to check.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Sharyn Ferrick

PostMon Aug 19, 2013 5:47 pm

SPDif to Aes ebu works fine on the TVS I use it for the output on my Yamaha LS9 to TVS in an overly simplified way SPDIF is an unbalanced digital and AES EBU is the balanced version. There are some header information that is different but does not seem to be an issue You can use a transformer converter if you want

http://www.sonicsense.com/blog/frequent ... ital-audio

Sharyn

Liam Kennedy

PostMon Aug 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Sharyn - I don't think a simple transformer will connect the Digital (optical) output from the TASCAM's SPDIF connector to the AES connector on the TVS. Unless I have missed something else on there.

The article you linked to seems to be about converting from SPDIF to AES (non-optical) - e.g. from an SPDIF coax connector. The Tascam only seems to have an optical connector.

EDIT: Ahh.. I see now... it does actually have the coax type of SPDIF output... I was looking at the photo "wrong". so a simple transformer will work.

ricrempel

PostMon Aug 19, 2013 7:41 pm

Thanks Liam and sharynf.

Yes, this TASCAM has S/PDIF coaxial digital output.

As for the T4i cameras, the deal breaker will be the delay. I talked to our photographer and he confirmed that there is a noticeable delay in the video output.

HDMI out displaying the HUD can be disabled if you don't record in the camera. Not ideal, but in case we have a computer crash we always have the Sony camera capturing a wide view until we can solve the issue.

Guess we'll have to acquire new cameras for this to work. Still, TVS looks like a great way to improve our work. We've been looking for ways to reduce the amount and size of our equipment, since we often travel to other countries and carrying big electronics is always a pain in the airports.

Once more, thanks for the help.

Liam Kennedy

PostMon Aug 19, 2013 7:52 pm

Also note that when you record on-camera most of the lower-end DSLR's switch to a different frame rate/size. This would mean they would likely not remain in the same format the TVS is configured in and their inputs would go black.

RobAshard

PostMon Aug 19, 2013 11:34 pm

Strangely, unless I'm going mad, the spec says it's optical but the picture of the back panel seems to show a phono in and out which I would imagine was spdif. I think it may all be academic though as I would imagine that it would output audio from the pc as it's a USB interface, and not a conversion of analogue inputs.
I agree with Sharyn that an spdif signal will work into the TVS as I've done it too. I just don't think that will carry the audio that you want.

Liam Kennedy

PostMon Aug 19, 2013 11:58 pm

The SPDIF is on the COAX ports on the back (the gold colored connectors)

A simple RCA -> BNC will get the AES input to the TVS.

Sharyn Ferrick

PostTue Aug 20, 2013 4:46 am

If you ever get stuck with optical digital spdif here is a converter to digital coax

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optical-T ... B000I98ZQY

Sharyn

ricrempel

PostTue Aug 20, 2013 8:38 pm

Thanks a lot for the help. We plan to get the equipment in a month or so an I'll post our findings here after we test it.

Return to Live Production