No Video Playback/Preview in Resolve 16 (Free Version)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: No Video Playback/Preview in Resolve 16 (Free Version)

PostWed Jan 27, 2021 11:21 pm

Very good. It is an add in graphics card. Move your display cables to that card. Shown in the yellow box.

Looking at the Lenovo rear image, you are currently using the onboard VGA port. Unfortunately, your GTX1650 card doesn't have a VGA connector. So you are either going to need to get a different cable to go from one of the Display Port connectors or the HDMI connector on the GTX1650 card to your display. Or, get a VGA to HDMI adapter for the end of your existing cable.

grpaphics_card.jpg
grpaphics_card.jpg (262.7 KiB) Viewed 127434 times
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Uli Plank

PostThu Jan 28, 2021 2:57 am

May I add that an adapter for HDMI or display port is the far better solution? If your monitor supports it instead of VGA.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

BSPinto

PostThu Jan 28, 2021 11:44 am

@Dwaine it's working perfectly. Thank you. Simplest solution ever.

kommander

PostThu Jan 28, 2021 7:05 pm

Hi Dwaine,

Yes, these issues apply with the (New Folder) project along with all of my other ones.

"Hide UI Overlays" was already enabled, but I tried disabling and enabling it again - no impact on performance.

Would fresh installing windows help?
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
GPU: RX 5700xt
16GB 3600mhz DDR4 RAM
Windows 10

George Atanassov

PostMon Feb 01, 2021 10:34 am

Hi,

I seem to have a similar issue after changing the GPU on my PC. I used to have to K2000 quadro cards and now run a RX 5700XT.

The problem is that I dont get and image on the preview window. Sometimes if I render the timeline via the export I get the image back but more often than not Resolve hangs.

I am running 17b7 and bellow is a link to my log file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y98oz5rpn55me ... 9.zip?dl=1

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Feb 01, 2021 10:36 pm

@Kylie: A fresh windows install often fixes odd issues. I don't have a better suggestion.

@George: Need a Windows System Information .NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart

George Atanassov

PostTue Feb 02, 2021 6:43 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:@Kylie: A fresh windows install often fixes odd issues. I don't have a better suggestion.

@George: Need a Windows System Information .NFO file.

As requested:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sey7955y54alp ... v.nfo?dl=1

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Feb 02, 2021 8:07 am

I see some cache errors.

If you turn off caching (Playback menu - Render Cache - None), do the images come back?

I also see lot of Nahimic stuff running. This has been know to cause Resolve issues. Open Task Manager and in the Services tab, find any Nahimic services, right click them and select Stop.

After you've stopped all the services, select the Processes tab, and find any Nahimic stuff there, right click it and select End Task.
Dwaine Maggart

George Atanassov

PostTue Feb 02, 2021 9:27 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:I see some cache errors.

If you turn off caching (Playback menu - Render Cache - None), do the images come back?

I also see lot of Nahimic stuff running. This has been know to cause Resolve issues. Open Task Manager and in the Services tab, find any Nahimic services, right click them and select Stop.

After you've stopped all the services, select the Processes tab, and find any Nahimic stuff there, right click it and select End Task.

Did all of the tasks mentioned also updated my BIOS to run the latest stable Asus version. Still no avail?.

New system report can be seen here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fgtueawnxc7z0 ... v.nfo?dl=1

George Atanassov

PostTue Feb 02, 2021 11:03 am

Hmm seems to work now. I don't know exactly how just left Resolve open for 15min and now all seems to be dandy :). The interesting thing is that even the preview of clips on the media storage panel were not playing/showing.

Resolve really needs a status window (as FCPX) so that users would know what is going on in the background.

George Atanassov

PostTue Feb 02, 2021 11:13 am

Actually spoke too soon. This long waiting happens every time I open Resolve, even if it is the same project???

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Feb 02, 2021 6:44 pm

Long startup can be related to certain USB devices being connected.

To see if that's an issue, as a test, disconnect all USB devices except for a standard wired USB mouse and keyboard. If that solves the issue, reconnect the USB devices one at a time, to determine what's causing the issue, and let us know what it is. We know that cheap HDMI to USB capture dongles can cause this, as well as certain Bluetooth headset devices.
Dwaine Maggart

George Atanassov

PostWed Feb 03, 2021 10:11 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Long startup can be related to certain USB devices being connected.

To see if that's an issue, as a test, disconnect all USB devices except for a standard wired USB mouse and keyboard. If that solves the issue, reconnect the USB devices one at a time, to determine what's causing the issue, and let us know what it is. We know that cheap HDMI to USB capture dongles can cause this, as well as certain Bluetooth headset devices.

Unplugged all USB hard drives (which are either RAID or SSD)... nothing
Updated to 17b8... nothing
Made a new local DB... nothing

All worked fine before the Asus RX 5700XT?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Feb 03, 2021 6:11 pm

Is the issue Resolve starting and getting to the Project Manager page? Or is the issue that when you load a project, it takes time before the media appears in viewers and thumbnails?

If the latter, taking a minute or so before the media appears could be normal with AMD GPUs. It should not take 15 minutes. If it does, perhaps a different AMD driver would help.
Dwaine Maggart

George Atanassov

PostSat Feb 06, 2021 3:50 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Is the issue Resolve starting and getting to the Project Manager page? Or is the issue that when you load a project, it takes time before the media appears in viewers and thumbnails?

If the latter, taking a minute or so before the media appears could be normal with AMD GPUs. It should not take 15 minutes. If it does, perhaps a different AMD driver would help.

The issue is that when you load a project, it takes time before the media appears in viewers and thumbnails.

I doubt it is the driver as I am not on the latest release but the one that is most tested and approved by Microsoft. This being the one.

I will come back to this when I have the Quadro K2200 available again. That one did not have these problems.

bayberrybooks

PostSun Feb 07, 2021 4:47 pm

Afternoon All,

I have been using Davinci Resolve with no issues at all since 2014, on the same PC hardware. I have been using v16 for a few months with no issues. Today I started DR and I have huge issues with video playback. The frame rate is very low and irregular. I have not made any manual config changes prior to this issue. I've got the two files required for diagnostics, please see the links below to access them.

Some background & supporting information:
1. Video playback of all file types in DR appears to be affected - DNXHD, H264 for example. I am using 1080p sized files.
2. System resources during playback in DR are not especially high but higher than expected (CPU c 60%)
3. Playback of those filetypes from Windows based media players is fine - VLC for example plays those files correctly. System resources during playback in VLC are very low (CPU 1% - 3%)
4. I have reinstalled the NVidia drivers using a clean install approach, this had no effect.
5. Projects of all screen resolutions are equally affected.
6. I have an SSD drive and performance has always been excellent within DR.

Davinci Diagnostics file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CuyGga ... sp=sharing

.NFO file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/157qoh- ... sp=sharing

Many thanks for your help

Andy

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Feb 08, 2021 7:03 pm

You've made a change since the last time it worked. You've updated Resolve from 16.2.0 to 16.2.8.

Starting in Resolve 16.2.7, if you are using an NVIDIA GPU, it needs to support CUDA 11. This requires a GPU with CUDA Compute Capability 3.5 or higher.

Your GT 750M GPU has Compute Capability of 3.0. So it does not support CUDA 11. Therefore, Resolve is using the GPU in OpenCL mode, which has much worse performance than CUDA.

Looks like your Dell All in One doesn't have an option to upgrade the GPU. So your options are to use Resolve 16.2.6 or earlier, for proper CUDA support, or to run the system in OpenCL mode with current Resolve software.
Dwaine Maggart

bayberrybooks

PostTue Feb 09, 2021 10:22 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:You've made a change since the last time it worked. You've updated Resolve from 16.2.0 to 16.2.8.

Starting in Resolve 16.2.7, if you are using an NVIDIA GPU, it needs to support CUDA 11. This requires a GPU with CUDA Compute Capability 3.5 or higher.

Your GT 750M GPU has Compute Capability of 3.0. So it does not support CUDA 11. Therefore, Resolve is using the GPU in OpenCL mode, which has much worse performance than CUDA.

Looks like your Dell All in One doesn't have an option to upgrade the GPU. So your options are to use Resolve 16.2.6 or earlier, for proper CUDA support, or to run the system in OpenCL mode with current Resolve software.

Thanks for the explanation Dwaine, much appreciated. I wondered how long before my PC would hit compatibility issues due to its age - it's done well! I've reverted to 16.2 and that's working fine. Strangely when I tried beta 17 it worked fine initially the first two times I opened it, and then the issue revealed itself.

You are correct I cannot upgrade my GPU. I can try using an eGPU I suppose as my machine has a Thunderbolt (I think that's what it's called it has a lightening symbol by the port) connection but I suspect performance would be unacceptable. I'll have to save up for a more modern machine! A bit gutted as the screen is awesome - 27" 1440 x 2560 Adobe RGB touch-screen, I love it.

Many thanks for your help
Andy

bayberrybooks

PostTue Feb 09, 2021 4:27 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:You've made a change since the last time it worked. You've updated Resolve from 16.2.0 to 16.2.8.

Many thanks for the explanation Dwaine!

I've reverted back to v 16.2 and all is well.

Uli Plank

PostWed Feb 10, 2021 3:02 am

bayberrybooks wrote:You are correct I cannot upgrade my GPU. I can try using an eGPU I suppose as my machine has a Thunderbolt (I think that's what it's called it has a lightening symbol by the port) connection but I suspect performance would be unacceptable. I'll have to save up for a more modern machine! A bit gutted as the screen is awesome - 27" 1440 x 2560 Adobe RGB touch-screen, I love it.

You'll need to check if it's TB2 or 3. If only TB 2 it won't serve you much.

BTW, the screen of a MacBook Air or Pro M1 is excellent, even if no touch screen.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

tmorgan5150

PostSun Feb 14, 2021 1:00 am

Hello all -

I am having the same problem.

Attached my NFO file.

THanks,
Tom
Attachments
Log File_021321.zip
(131 KiB) Downloaded 2115 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Feb 16, 2021 5:28 pm

There was no Resolve log file. Just the system NFO file.

From the NFO, I see that your laptop has a display connected to some sort of DisplayLink USB Device. That seems to cause issues for Resolve. So try removing that and see if that helps.

Oh, and also, the 451.67 NVIDIA driver for your RTX 2060 GPU is too old for Resolve 16.2.7 and higher. So update that as well.
Dwaine Maggart

lhalperin

PostTue Feb 16, 2021 5:33 pm

Hi there. I'm having the same exact issue.
Here is the diagnostics file, I really appreciate the help.
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20210216-193138.zip
(130.21 KiB) Downloaded 2094 times

Habbss

PostThu Feb 25, 2021 7:37 pm

I've got the same problem, except not even thumbnails show for me! I've got the most up to date drivers, there aren't any logs at all that I can find in "C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support", but I've attached the NFO file just in case someone can help...

Cheers
Habbs

System info 20210225.zip
(141.36 KiB) Downloaded 1987 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Feb 25, 2021 10:14 pm

@Dan: You didn't provide a Resolve log file. But I'm guessing you need a different AMD driver for your Firepro W5170M GPU.

Is this really a desktop, or is it a laptop?
Dwaine Maggart

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Feb 25, 2021 10:20 pm

@Levi: You provided a Resolve log, but we also need the Windows System Info .NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart

Habbss

PostThu Feb 25, 2021 11:34 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:@Dan: You didn't provide a Resolve log file. But I'm guessing you need a different AMD driver for your Firepro W5170M GPU.

Is this really a desktop, or is it a laptop?

Thanks for the response!

There wasn't any log files available, the log folder is empty - is there any other way to generate them manually?

It's a laptop, yes - the issue occurs on the internal display, as well as on a monitor, either via HDMI or docked. I updated the driver as part of the troubleshooting, so the current AND the previous drivers gave the same fault.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Feb 26, 2021 12:20 am

In a File Explorer window, go to:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

and run CaptureLogs

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).
Dwaine Maggart

George Atanassov

PostFri Feb 26, 2021 7:10 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Is the issue Resolve starting and getting to the Project Manager page? Or is the issue that when you load a project, it takes time before the media appears in viewers and thumbnails?

After several weeks of reading and thinking... imagine that :D. I have now managed to fix the issue. What worked for me was to go into my BIOS and set the PCIe line to work in PCI3 mode. After this My videos load instantly upon opening a project.

I am also using a bit older AMD driver (Version 20.9.2) as I had issues with the 20.11.2 which is the most current one as of writing this.

Just as a reminder my GPU is an AMD Radeon RX 5700XT and I have a Ryzen 9 3950X 16-Core CPU. I am running the official Resolve Studio 17 release... so not on beta anymore.

Hope this helps.

welshduke

PostFri Feb 26, 2021 12:36 pm

Hi, same problem here. On the edit page, the thumbnails have no images, there is no sound (although there is sound on the fairlight page) and the video preview is grey. I just upgraded to resolve 17 from resolve 15.

Here is my .NFO fiile: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l5J378 ... sp=sharing

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated

Rob

Habbss

PostFri Feb 26, 2021 1:59 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:In a File Explorer window, go to:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

and run CaptureLogs

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Ah, I did see that batch file, but I thought I was looking for an exe for some reason... Thanks! Attached the export

DaVinci-Resolve-logs-022021_135817.zip
(742.82 KiB) Downloaded 2135 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Feb 26, 2021 7:10 pm

On the most recent log, looks like you were able to launch Resolve to the Project Manager screen, and then load a project called Scrambled Eggs. What happened then? Did it immediately crash to the desktop, or were you able to see the project and do anything?

What happens if you start a new project?
Dwaine Maggart

kommander

PostFri Feb 26, 2021 8:03 pm

Hello, I reset windows to no avail. Dwaine mentioned USB devices being the culprit - I actually had a cheap HDMI to USB cable, but disconnecting it and other USB devices did not work.

To be more specific, the problem is an extremely long startup. I am able to open my project, but the preview is a mere gray screen, thumbnails for clips do not load in, and I am unable to play it. Given around 15 minutes, the thumbnails eventually load in but if I scrub elsewhere, the thumbnails other than the portion I left opened are unloaded. The preview shows the frame which my scrubber was left at, but if the scrubber is moved the preview does not change. Still unable to play or edit.

I've even tried it on Resolve 17.0, the same problem persists.
16GB 3600mhz DDR4 RAM
Windows 10

smunaut

PostFri Feb 26, 2021 8:48 pm

Do you have the latest AMD driver ?

Someone with a 5700xt metnionned that updating to both the very latest driver (from a few days ago) and to the 17.0 release fixed their slow startup.
Resolve Studio - Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD RX6600 / NVidia RTX 4070 (switching between the 2) - Linux

Habbss

PostSat Feb 27, 2021 3:25 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:On the most recent log, looks like you were able to launch Resolve to the Project Manager screen, and then load a project called Scrambled Eggs. What happened then? Did it immediately crash to the desktop, or were you able to see the project and do anything?

What happens if you start a new project?

The program loads the project and acts like it's working fine, but there's no thumbnails generated, and I can't play anything (no video or audio), either clips from the imported media pool or anything dragged into the the time line. The files play fine if I open them outside of davinci, so there's nothing wrong with the media itself, da vinci just gives blank screens where I should see the media, and does nothing when I hit play or the space bar

smunaut wrote:Do you have the latest AMD driver ?

Someone with a 5700xt metnionned that updating to both the very latest driver (from a few days ago) and to the 17.0 release fixed their slow startup.

I updated my drivers on Thursday as part of the troubleshooting process, and had the same issue, so it doesn't work with the latest or previous versions

kommander

PostSat Feb 27, 2021 9:06 pm

Update: updating my AMD drivers to the latest one did help with the long startup! Thumbnails appear, playback is working, and I'm able to edit lightly. However, the frames suffer a lot, and playback is not smooth. I've already tried to apply settings to help with that, but even without any changes the frames should be smooth given my system. Any advice?
16GB 3600mhz DDR4 RAM
Windows 10

welshduke

PostWed Mar 03, 2021 2:19 pm

Hi, same problem here. On the edit page, the thumbnails have no images, there is no sound (although there is sound on the fairlight page) and the video preview is grey. I just upgraded to resolve 17 from resolve 15.

Here is my .NFO fiile: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l5J378 ... sp=sharing

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated

Rob

Charles Bennett

PostWed Mar 03, 2021 4:34 pm

What GPU do you have, and is its driver up to date? I ask as from version 16.2.7 the GPU and its driver, if nvidia, have to support CUDA 11 and OpenCL 1.2.
Resolve 17 System Requirements.JPG
Resolve 17 System Requirements.JPG (84.08 KiB) Viewed 126681 times

You only need the Blackmagic Design Desktop Video if you have Blackmagic hardware such as a Decklink installed.
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

DavidSE

PostWed Mar 03, 2021 6:54 pm

Hi, I have a similar issue so i thought better to post it here than starting a new thread.

So I can play a video in the preview window without problem if i do not manipulate it in any way.
If I do any sort of manipulation the playback will sort of freeze between two frames, meaning playing only two frames and than start over on the two frames again and again during the whole preview. After moving around the in the clip for a bit the preview turns black.

Do not know if I managed to describe the problem in a understandable way. Could upload a video/gif of what happens if needed but I guess it is a drivers issue so I attach a System information file instead if someone can help me figure this out.

System_information.zip
(70.67 KiB) Downloaded 2073 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 04, 2021 1:38 am

It would be helpful to have a Resolve diagnostics log. In the Resolve Help menu, select "Create Diagnostics Log on Desktop". Send us the file. It's going to be too large to attach, so put it on a file sharing site and provide a link to the file. New forum users may not be allowed to post URLs. If that happens to you, put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't see it as a URL.

I can say from your NFO though, that your PN50 Acer Mini is probably not adequate to run Resolve. The 8GB of system RAM is below are minimal specs, and the iGPU of the Ryzen 7 4700U CPU is likely not adequate.

But you can try a different AMD graphics driver for that CPU, and that may help.
Dwaine Maggart

juliotv

PostThu Mar 04, 2021 6:16 am

Hi. Thanks a lot Dwaine for your replies and support. I solved this issue by plugging a monitor to my GPU card. I only have one question: how can I use Resolve without doing that? I mean I don't always have an extra monitor for making quick editing job.

CUK999

PostThu Mar 04, 2021 8:21 am

Hello there,

i have kind of the same issue

i have a weird problem showing up, which as far as i can tell is not a performance issue.

Once i opened up a new project, put in a normal short video ( h.264 1080p 24fps ) and go to the color tab trying to apply changes the error appears when i either:

apply a LUT ( no matter what kind of )

or even when i just hover over a LUT to get a preview, ( so i dont even apply it )

the selected clip will then start to clip/stutter/or just be black. same for all the other clips in the timeline, even when i try to delete the clip whith the applied/or only previewed LUT, there is no normal Playback possible in any module of the software.

But it still shows me that there a no dropped Frames, Audio is also playing back normal and looking at the taskmanager my laptop doesnt have any performance issues ( not even close ).

all Drivers seem to be up to date, i tried the stable Resolve 16, the beta of the 16th, and now the new version 17.

i've tried to use optimized media, timeline proxy with lower resolution, but as i mentioned, for me, it doesn't seem to have something to do with a lack in perfomance from my laptop, more like a error within davinci itself.

i will attach the resolve log file here,

hopefully somebody can help me with this, i'm absolutely new to the game and it's ehausting having throwbacks all the time whilst trying to learn and improve

P.S: unfortunetly i've opened up a new thread yesterday, but i think the problem is best discussed within this thread whilst other users experience the same/similar issues

thanks in advance
Chris
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20210303-235350.zip
(254 KiB) Downloaded 2104 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 04, 2021 5:30 pm

@Julio: What's your scenario? You've got a desktop PC with an add in GPU card? If so, don't you already have a display connected to the PC? Move it to the GPU instead of the onboard graphics connector.

Unless you have a desktop PC, I'm not sure how you would connect a display to the GPU?
Dwaine Maggart

CUK999

PostThu Mar 04, 2021 7:06 pm

so, i've played aroud with all the settings, did a total fresh installatio and the bug was gone for a minute, the it was happening again. i can't play back footage normal, it stutters in weird flickering pictures, sometimes the colors are inverted. this keeps the same when saving a projekt, and reloading it. i've tried to delete cached datas, no result.

i've come across, that i can still add new videos within my timeline and they don't have any issues for a short period of time. the files are get somehow corrupted within resolve. i can delete the broken video-clip in the cut/edit page and go back to the media pool. the original video is played back perfectly before importing it in the project. even when i delete the old broken renderes clip, and delete the cache, the video is instantly corrupted within davinci and not usable. there is some strange broken-rendering going on in the background resulting in unusable video-clips.

@DavidSE do you experience the same?

my system isn't struggling at all with davinci and even whilst playing the corrupted files within davinci it indicates no dropped frames ( as if the footage was recorded with blackouts ). when scrolling through the corrupted video, the still images inbetween the blackouts change slightly from time to time, even the rate/frequenzy of flickering till total black.

still hope to find a solution soon due to a project i have to edit the next days.

thank you

QUICK UPDATE: few minutes later i did try to uncheck using optimized media, and the video within the project having problems instantly went to normal. i thought i tried this before, but seems like i didn't. so there's something wrong with the way davinci creates optimized media. due to enough horsepower i will keep this setting turned off by now. it would be great to know where the error is located, because moving deeper into video editing and going to edit 4k movies someday, it could get neccessary to use it if i'm not going to use the proxy media

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 04, 2021 8:20 pm

I think your issue is related to your extensive third party LUT packages.

For some reason, it appears that the HUNDREDS of LUTs you have are getting loaded into Resolve. That's taking up a LOT of GPU VRAM space. And I suspect that's what's impacting your performance.

However, I'm not sure WHY that is happening. LUTs should not get loaded unless you've done something with them. On the Color page, if you open the LUTs window, and then scrub through all the LUTs, that would cause them to get loaded. But if you are not doing that, they should not be getting loaded. I'm consulting with the dev team to see if they have any thoughts about why that may be happening. Which is why I have not yet answered.

One test you could do would be to remove all those LUTs from the LUT folder, so they are not available to be loaded, and see if that helps your issue.
Dwaine Maggart

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 04, 2021 11:18 pm

Is Untitled Project 2 an actual project you have? If so, please use Project Export and make a .drp of that project and send it here.
Dwaine Maggart

CUK999

PostSat Mar 06, 2021 1:16 pm

Hi,

sadly i have to update you again. It still happens...

I was getting away with not using optimized media for an hour of editing, mainly cutting in the first place, and then at the moment were two videoclips were on top of each other, it happened again. even disabling the second track, checking, unchecking optimized media etc. didn't solved the problem. the stuttering is now everywere, even in the media section were i can't even preview footage that's not yet loaded into the project.

i reinstalled davinci completly and deleted all the LUTs ( except one i really need right now to color grade my footoage), even though i dont think they were causing the issue.

i do get the message here by uploading the project:
The extension drp is not allowed.
here is my project i am working on right now.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VHB8WW ... sp=sharing

this error appears with all the projects, just a matter of time ...

the artist the project is for paid me in advance, so i'm in big trouble if i can't manage to solve the issue. i would pay for the paid davinci version instantly if this could solve the problem, but i don't think it has anything to do with this.

DavidSE

PostSat Mar 06, 2021 4:54 pm

@CUK999 Sounds like the same issue I have, but you described it a lot better.

Found a way to reproduce the shuttering without importing any media.
Open up toolbox --> Titles
Hovering over some titles like "Center Reveal" will work fine while others like "Clean and Simple" will start to shutter and sort of freeze up the preview box.

On a more positive note tho it seems like I managed to solve it by install the AMD auto detect program from there website and just install whatever it suggested. After that I got the AMD Driver version 27.20.14501.18003.
Maybe this can work for you as well, all tho you have the Ryzen Pro so you probably should have another driver than me.

@Dwaine I know it will be a horrible experience running Resolve with this slow computer but I want to try it out a bit if possible before I decide on buying a dedicated PC. So far so good. Thank you for the driver suggestion.

dinofareal

PostSat Mar 06, 2021 9:30 pm

Add my name to that list. Here is what I get...only grey squares, no video in timeline and no preview. The play head won't even move after pressing play (I am using Davinci Resolve 17)
Resolve Screenshot.PNG
Resolve Screenshot.PNG (261.46 KiB) Viewed 126487 times

Systerm Info.PNG
Systerm Info.PNG (66.36 KiB) Viewed 126487 times

CUK999

PostTue Mar 09, 2021 4:44 pm

Hello there,

i have to thank @DavidSE a lot. This solved the problem. I was able to finish the Project and the Client absolutely happy.

I don't know why this was even possible to cause such an error.

I have this Laptop for two months now, i do have all the windows driver up to date, i do have the lenovo vantage saying all the drivers are up to date, i did check the system hardware for missung drivers manually and further more i did run an additional software to check for drivers.

None of those did say, there was something missing. It seems to be not an essential driver to run hardware, but to be a driver to boost the capabilities of your hardware.

Furthermore, i did finally got an error message from within Davinci, which didn't showed up before installing the extra AMD Software.

When i do hover over an effect ( for instance Fusion Effect Binocular ) i do get the instant message "you have reached a limitation with davinci resolve PLUS a second window appears "warning unknown tool found; name: AnalogDamage1_1
i didn't add anything into the library by myself, this has to be a standard effect. the same analog_damage error shows up most of the times, no matter what problem-causing-effect i hover over.

even though, i don't apply the effect. with most effects, i do get a preview with the watermark, which is absolutely fine.

that said, i will try to reinstall davinci one more time in the next days, but i was able to close the error messages and continue working, which i wasn't able to do before the installation of the AMD Software.

So, i highly, HIGHLY recommend doing this.

And to the Blackmagic Support Team, please add this Problem AND the amazing solution/workaround to your knowledge, so nobody has to struggle that much again ;-)

thank you for the possibilty to discuss everything in this forum and to give and receive help
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve