Lost activation key...

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

LokiVan

Lost activation key...

PostTue Feb 16, 2021 8:21 pm

Hi,

I bought a BMPCC4K in May of 2019. I installed Studio 16 that came with my purchase. Since then I have bought a new computer, but I can't find the SD card or the paperwork that came with my camera to install on my new computer. Is there anyway to retrieve this info?

Thanks,

Johnny

roger.magnusson

Re: Lost activation key...

PostTue Feb 16, 2021 9:26 pm

No way to retrieve it unfortunately. You don't need the SD card, the activation key is printed on a credit card-sized card.

Sean Nelson

PostWed Feb 17, 2021 2:51 am

Everyone who buys Studio with an activation card should scan the card and/or put the number into a file that gets backed up with the rest of your system. Not just for Resolve, either, but for all of your software activation keys. You never know when you might have to recover from a backup...
DR Studio 18.6.4 Build 6, Win10Pro x64 22H2/19045.3570
Asus C246 Pro Motherboard, Xeon E-2278G@3.4GHz, 64GB ECC RAM
GeForce 3060 12GB, "Studio" driver 512.15
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe SSD - Project,Cache: 1TB NVMe SSD

Jim Simon

PostWed Feb 17, 2021 3:40 pm

I favor storing software keys and codes in a text file on Dropbox. That gives me planetwide access (presuming I have Internet, of course).
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

roger.magnusson

PostWed Feb 17, 2021 3:43 pm

The Dropbox administrators who can read your files thanks you. :)

Jim Simon

PostWed Feb 17, 2021 3:46 pm

I don't believe they can.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

roger.magnusson

PostWed Feb 17, 2021 4:40 pm

It's in their FAQ:
Dropbox wrote:Access to users’ file content is limited to a small number of people.

But what you should do is you encrypt your files before you upload them or use some sort of vault app where only you have the key. 1Password were good at that before they went to a cloud subscription model.

Mel Matsuoka

PostWed Feb 17, 2021 7:03 pm

A password manager such as 1Password (which is also available on Windows) is where you should store software license keys, for this very reason.

1Password’s cloud based sync also allows you to access the info on any iOS, Android, PC or Mac device that you have associated with your 1PW account. And it’s infinitely more secure than using a plaintext file on Dropbox.

Another benefit to using 1Password is that you can tag entries. For licenses I have that are nodelocked or requires activation, I will tag those licenses with a tag like “nodelocked.NameOfComputer”, so if I ever need to migrate the system to a new computer, I can quickly see which license require deactivation before I do the migration.

I will also attach PDF copies of the purchase receipts for each software I buy, so I don’t have to go digging through old emails in the future if I need to contact support for anything requiring proof of purchase.

I highly recommend using password managers in general, but they are also handy for managing your serial numbers and licenses as well.
Resolve Studio b19 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 14.5, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Mel Matsuoka

Lost activation key...

PostWed Feb 17, 2021 7:05 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:But what you should do is you encrypt your files before you upload them or use some sort of vault app where only you have the key. 1Password were good at that before they went to a cloud subscription model.

1Password is still “good at that”. Nothing has changed in this regard since they went to a cloud subscription model. You can still use Dropbox or local syncing, if you’re dead set on doing it that way, but I for one do not miss having to use Dropbox for syncing one bit. Their cloud sync is infinitely better, faster and reliable than the old Dropbox method.
Resolve Studio b19 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 14.5, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Return to DaVinci Resolve