Video Assist 12G Streaming Question

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Frank McCright

Video Assist 12G Streaming Question

PostTue Feb 16, 2021 1:47 pm

Hello all.

I am about to purchase a 5" 12G Video Assist purely for live streaming. The new firmware that allows you to stream seems quite useful for my setup.

Here's my current setup:
I use one of my first-gen 5" Video Assists now to stream. I have an HDMI signal that includes audio going in the VA and the HDMI out goes to a monitor. To capture the video signal and audio in Wirecast, I run the SDI out into a USB capture device with SDI in and through. To capture stereo audio I run a 1/8 TRS to split XLR out of the headphone port that then goes into a Zoom H6 which is connected to my Mac as an audio interface. Wirecast brings it in successfully as an audio source.

Using the new 12G via USB with the new firmware would get rid of the need to use the extra step of the SDI out to the USB capture device.

Will the streaming software also detect an audio source with this firmware?

Thank you.
-Frank

www.yogomi.com
www.pressnine.com
www.fbm4.com
www.stellarmusic.com

ishootyou.com

Re: Video Assist 12G Streaming Question

PostWed Feb 17, 2021 2:57 pm

The Monitor is tricking the computer that it is a simple USB webcam. It will pass through whatever is fed to it, or whatever video runs on it. It is however not possible to run video on the monitor from an SD-Card and, at the same time, feed audio via the HDMI input. That said, it's not possible to do a live voiceover unless you connect a mic to the mic input of your computer and defining that as the audio source. Doing so, you lose the audio from the monitor, too.
------------------------
ishootyou.com
Teaching photography and videography in Switzerland

Frank McCright

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 4:08 pm

I'm not sure I understand.

For a hypothetical setup, let's say I have an Xbox Series X going into a Video Assist 12G via high speed HDMI. Will the Video Assist send a video AND audio out from that one source into the streaming software?

In the streaming software (Wirecast, in this case) I would choose a video source and an audio source. I'm wondering if that audio source from the VA would appear as an option using the USB connection for streaming.
-Frank

www.yogomi.com
www.pressnine.com
www.fbm4.com
www.stellarmusic.com

jallen0

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 5:37 pm

I actually have my VA 7" 12G HDR set-up right now trying to troubleshoot an issue. I can say that when I go to OS X Sound Preference, under Inout, The Video Assist 7" 12G HDR option appears as a USB input. SO if the system see's it then everything else will see it.

Right now I have a USB cable running form the monitor to the computer, so both video and audio is embedded in that.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

Frank McCright

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 10:33 pm

Thank you!

That's exactly what I was hoping for. This will remove an extra device and clean up my streaming setup.
-Frank

www.yogomi.com
www.pressnine.com
www.fbm4.com
www.stellarmusic.com

jallen0

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 11:02 pm

Frank,

I would suggest you not upgrade to Big Sur yet. See this post I just made: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=135059

I don't have a system with Catalina on it so I cannot test to 100% confirm it's a Big Sur issue, but I literally cannot stream using the Video Assist monitor right now. Hopefully Support will have an opportunity to reach out to me within the next 24 hours.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

Return to Getting Started