Audio is out of synch with waveform display

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jason P

Audio is out of synch with waveform display

PostTue Feb 23, 2021 11:03 am

Hi all,

I've encountered a problem today with Resolve, whereby the audio is not playing in real time in the interface. It's about a second or so out from the actual waveform pattern in my timeline.I've got a screen recording of the behaviour, but can't upload a .mov file here it seems.

it's worse when I'm trying to edit and scrub through the timeline. If I click 'play', there's a few seconds of silence before it picks up the audio and starts playing it, and scrubbing is hopeless as resolve is playing either random.

For some reason, resolve seems to be getting itself completely out of sync with the audio timeline when playing, so it's heavily delayed. That makes adding subtitles pretty impossible to do accurately.

I've upgraded to the latest beta version and the problem remains, so that's not fixed it unfortunately.
It's a pretty simple project with captured recording for a podcast episode.

I'm using RX tools plug in de-clicker in the Fairlight page, but that's the only external component enabled to treat the audio dialogue track. The problem remains whether or not this is turned on.

It seems the audio render cache is completely out of sync with the timeline. I've tried deleting the render cache entirely and recreating, but that hasn't helped either.

Any suggestions on where to look to fix this gratefully received.

Thanks

Jason

Reynaud Venter

Re: Audio is out of synch with waveform display

PostTue Feb 23, 2021 11:07 am

System spec? viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190

Decklink enabled in Preferences > Video and Audio I/O?

Jason P

PostTue Feb 23, 2021 11:17 am

Okay, I've identified this is down to the RX8 plug in in Fairlight. It seems the RX8 de-click plug in is causing the delay in audio, as I can eliminate this by deleting this plug in and it behaves normally.

Anyone else using RX8 audio plug ins successfully?

I'm running on a 2019 Macbook Pro under Big Sur 11.2.1.

Jason P

PostThu Apr 01, 2021 9:12 am

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone has any insights on this yet? I've upgraded to the latest version of DaVinci Resolve today and i'm still seeing this problem. When I enable the AU plug in for RX8 de-click, the audio output is delayed by about 2 seconds, putting everything out of sync. This happens on my final render and in the timeline.

Does anyone at Blackmagic have any insights, or can you confirm if this happens on your systems too?

Thanks

Jason

Reynaud Venter

PostThu Apr 01, 2021 9:35 am

Jason P wrote:When I enable the AU plug in for RX8 de-click, the audio output is delayed by about 2 seconds, putting everything out of sync.
The RX DeClick plugin introduces considerable latency - in excess of 4063 samples (85 ms) in low latency mode and as much as 31931 samples (665 ms) in standard single band mode.

If the plugin is instantiated as a Clip-based effect, right click the Audio Clip and select either:
"Cache Audio Effects"
"Bounce Audio Effects"

For Track-based effects, use:
Timeline menu > Bounce Selected Track to New Layer
Timeline menu > Bounce Mix to Track

Alternatively, configure RX as an External Audio Process and use the DeClick module in the standalone application: Preferences > System > Audio Plugins > Setup External Audio Processes

Jason P

PostThu Apr 01, 2021 10:10 am

Thanks Reynaud. I'm going to have to spend a bit of time with the Resolve manual to work through what look like excellent suggestions! :) Much appreciated, I'll let you know how I get on.

Return to DaVinci Resolve