Multichannel Audio Monitoring in Media Page and Media Pool

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Michael_B

Multichannel Audio Monitoring in Media Page and Media Pool

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 2:57 pm

These are three separate but closely related Issues:

1: Is is not possible to set up audio monitoring for separate channels in the media page or the media pool? Background: I often get footage (documentary im my case) with multiple audio tracks. Two might be the MS-Stereo of the boom mic, two or three are Lavs and maybe one a camera mic. Most of the time I just want to listen to (and understand) one or two and then decide if anything worth cutting to the timeline has been said. Right now, you can't understand a thing.
2. If you want to do the same thing in the timeline you can do so with the Patch Input/Output by routing each track to one output of the Audio device (in this case a Soundcraft Signature 12 MTR) and then adjust the monitoring Volume of each channel with the faders. Not exactly an elegant solution, shouldn't that be possible with a multitrack bus? But so far I haven't succeeded in setting one up. If I route the channels from the timeline to the MT-Bus, and then route the bus to the outputs, nothing happens.
3. Is it true that you have to set up the busses/patching anew for each timeline within the same project? If you have multiple timelines (e.g. in a collaborative project) that's deeply annoying.

Cheers, Michael
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6
macOS Sonoma 14.2
Mac mini 2023 / M2 Pro / 32 GB RAM
Fairlight Desktop Control Panel
(*Fairlight Audio Accelerator)
(*Fairlight Audio I/O)
*currently not supported

jensgruen

Re: Multichannel Audio Monitoring in Media Page and Media Po

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 3:55 pm

Did you ever figure anything of the above out?

Constantin Gross

PostTue Feb 23, 2021 8:49 pm

any news?

Reynaud Venter

PostWed Feb 24, 2021 7:17 am

Constantin Gross wrote:any news?
Old thread - so quite a few changes from version 15.

Michael_B wrote:2. If you want to do the same thing in the timeline you can do so with the Patch Input/Output by routing each track to one output of the Audio device (in this case a Soundcraft Signature 12 MTR) and then adjust the monitoring Volume of each channel with the faders. Not exactly an elegant solution, shouldn't that be possible with a multitrack bus? But so far I haven't succeeded in setting one up. If I route the channels from the timeline to the MT-Bus, and then route the bus to the outputs, nothing happens.
In version 16 and version 17 (Fixed Bus), the Multitrack Bus Out may be patched to a physical output via Patch IO.

Track Direct and Track Reproduction options in version 16 and 17 are also available without Bussing when using Resolve as a playout source split out to a production console.

3. Is it true that you have to set up the busses/patching anew for each timeline within the same project? If you have multiple timelines
Fairlight menu > Presets Library > Fairlight Configuration Presets

In version 16, these Presets may be manually recalled via the Presets Library window.
In version 17, the New Timeline window provides a "Use Fairlight Preset" checkbox.

Return to DaVinci Resolve