Pocket 4K pro please.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Curtis Campsall

Pocket 4K pro please.

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 5:07 am

That’s it, love the flip screen and internal nd, but not 6k workflow or ef mount.
Dop16mm on the other forum

kevin_p

Re: Pocket 4K pro please.

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 9:41 am

Never gunna happen.

smunaut

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 9:47 am

Resolve Studio - Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD RX6600 / NVidia RTX 4070 (switching between the 2) - Linux

Sirineos

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 10:59 am

I would love for BM to come out with a pocket pro with an MFT mount!
I also want to have a flip-up screen, internal nd filters, and the option of an electronic viewfinder!
Please give us a camera like that!
We are many and we are going to enjoy it a lot!

kevin_p wrote:Never gunna happen.

Why?

joe12south

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 1:19 pm

Even though it's about as likely as Adam Sandler winning an Oscar, I'll add my vote. Had the P4K been upgraded with these usability improvements I would have already ordered two.
Dedicated curmudgeon. Part-time artiste.

xchrisx

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 1:52 pm

i say no for this, I do not want it.

John Richard

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 2:50 pm

Yes PLEASE!!!

I'd purchase for sure. And I think a lot of others would as well.
Believe there is a spot in the price line-up so it would come down to economics if possible.

bobosola

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 3:51 pm

Yes please, one more vote here too.

I've invested too much in MFT lenses to jump from my 4K to a 6K pro, but a 4K pro would be an immediate purchase for me due to the EVF, 1500 NIT tilt screen and built-in NDs. Can't see it happening though :-(

Paul Jonathan

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 4:12 pm

I don't think that super unlikely to happen actually. I guess it all depends on the sales of the 4K and the internal economics at BMD. Whenever they see 4K sales dropping it would actually simplify their product line up to match the two bodies except for the mount and generate new sales as well.

Ultimately depends on BMDs roadmap though. I personally believe the 6K Pro is only a bit of an intermediate update while they are getting a cutdown of the 12k in a smaller form factor ready. Long-term they will want to move all of their cameras over the RGBW sensors and away from bayer pattern as long as they can find a way to reduce the cost of those sensors at lower resolutions and make lower price points profitable with that sensor. If they can do that within the next two years we might never see a 4K Pro, otherwise I think we will eventually, because it's an easy sell without having to do too much retooling or R&D and as I said actually simplifying their line up in terms of parts needed etc.

And Adam Sandler was badly snubbed for Uncut Gems, just to be on the record for that!

Curtis Campsall

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 5:13 pm

I would absolutely take a cutdown of the 12k sensor, probably 8k, but with the ability to record 4K without compromise.

I went all in on mft with the original pocket, at the time BM was fully embracing the format with the micros and studio cameras, but they never offered a pro option in the ursa line, and seem to be pushing hard 6k for the pocket line. I suppose they figure most 4K shooters were going speed booster and ef glass anyway, YouTube seems to back that up.

It’s a shame, because mft glass makes the system so much smaller. Veydra/Meike primes are less than half the size and weight of the nearest competitor of true cinema lenses. Some people rock the f.95 voitlanders which don’t have any competition for a matching set. Olympus zoom.

If anyone is equipped to serve a smaller niche market they are, but do they want to? Grant seems all about canon glass, that’s what he uses I guess.
Dop16mm on the other forum

Hugh Antonio

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 5:58 pm

I feel this would definitely be were I’d like to go as my current work flow this would fit straight in. I have no desire to shoot 6K and hardly deliver 4K so a 4K pro with the 6K pro battery and ND filters then as someone said I’d order 2 in a heart beat
MacBook M1 Pro
10 Cores 16GB RAM
512gb HDD
Resolve Studio
BMPCC 4K

Phil999

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 9:51 pm

I would like to join this request. The pocket 4k workflow suits my needs perfectly.

It is said that the sensor of the pocket 6k renders better skin tones than the pocket 4k sensor. If that is true, it will probably not be likely that a pocket 4k pro will appear. On the other hand, with some knowledge in colour correction there are quite good skin tones possible with the pocket 4k.

I read that the pocket 4k has larger photosites, larger pixels than the pocket 6k. Which is an advantage I believe.

What about the 5th generation Color Science that is ready to appear as an update for the pocket cameras? I thought that this Gen 5 thing is for post-production, and not necessary to be implemented in a camera.

roger.magnusson

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 10:07 pm

Would internal ND:s fit in the smaller mount? Put a 4:3 sensor in it for anamorphic lenses and I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Phil999 wrote:What about the 5th generation Color Science that is ready to appear as an update for the pocket cameras? I thought that this Gen 5 thing is for post-production, and not necessary to be implemented in a camera.

If you shoot Blackmagic Raw you can use Gen 5 in the Resolve beta releases already. But if you shoot ProRes it needs to be implemented in the camera.

NicWassell

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 10:11 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:If you shoot Blackmagic Raw you can use Gen 5 in the Resolve beta releases already. But if you shoot ProRes it needs to be implemented in the camera.

Presumably it also makes a different to monitoring? I.e. the same LUT applied on a Gen4 camera would look different on the screen to a Gen5 camera? Or am I misunderstanding how it works?

roger.magnusson

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 10:15 pm

Yes, monitoring would be affected as well.

The only issue I've had with the 4K was shooting overly saturated LED lights, thankfully it's much better in Gen 5.

Ryan Earl

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 10:47 pm

Paul Jonathan wrote:I personally believe the 6K Pro is only a bit of an intermediate update while they are getting a cutdown of the 12k in a smaller form factor ready.

If the "Super16 6K" crop mode on the URSA 12K is an indication of the quality to come in a future Super16 Micro or Pocket with EVF it should be pretty stunning with all the MFT cinema glass, clarifying MFT as a format is far from dead. Hopefully coming through at an accessible price point or cubed body. . .

daktulus

PostMon Feb 22, 2021 12:53 am

+1

Steve Holmlund

Pocket 4K pro please.

PostMon Feb 22, 2021 6:04 am

Paul Jonathan wrote:
And Adam Sandler was badly snubbed for Uncut Gems, just to be on the record for that!

Yes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist
BMPCC, vintage Rokkor lenses, Olympus 12-40 and 12-100, Panasonic 100-300 II
SmallHD Focus, i7 8700k / GTX 1080

Ellory Yu

PostMon Feb 22, 2021 6:20 am

Yes pocket 4K for me too! But this time make it a box form factor with the built-in ND. Flip screen and bigger battery support a plus.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Hugh Antonio

PostMon Feb 22, 2021 6:57 am

Ellory Yu wrote:Yes pocket 4K for me too! But this time make it a box form factor with the built-in ND. Flip screen and bigger battery support a plus.

If they change the form factor then it wouldn’t be a PK4. If you want another form factor why not just choose another camera like a Komodo.
MacBook M1 Pro
10 Cores 16GB RAM
512gb HDD
Resolve Studio
BMPCC 4K

Robert Castiglione

PostMon Feb 22, 2021 10:07 am

+1

Cheers,

Rob
Rob Castiglione
robcastiglione.com

AlwaysWritePat

PostMon Feb 22, 2021 1:00 pm

smunaut wrote:You can give that a shot : https://tilta.com/shop/bmpcc-4k-6k-disp ... ation-kit/ :)

definitely this.

've had mine for about 9 months now on both my 4ks and love it. Worth the investment if you plan on keeping the 4k.

joe12south

PostMon Feb 22, 2021 2:34 pm

Phil999 wrote:It is said that the sensor of the pocket 6k renders better skin tones than the pocket 4k sensor. If that is true, it will probably not be likely that a pocket 4k pro will appear. On the other hand, with some knowledge in colour correction there are quite good skin tones possible with the pocket 4k.

"It's been said." Haven't seen it delivered.

I've tested both, extensively, and lets just say even though I could make more money selling a different LUT for the P6K, I, and others, came to the conclusion that there was no point. The color differences are trivial.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but even BMD didn't feel the need to make different LUTs for the 6K vs the 4K.

joe12south

PostMon Feb 22, 2021 2:36 pm

Hugh Antonio wrote:
Ellory Yu wrote:If you want another form factor why not just choose another camera like a Komodo.

BRAW. ;)

Seriously, though, the micro camera needs an update. That would satisfy us cube lovers.

Phil999

PostMon Feb 22, 2021 4:05 pm

joe12south wrote:"It's been said." Haven't seen it delivered.

I've tested both, extensively, and lets just say even though I could make more money selling a different LUT for the P6K, I, and others, came to the conclusion that there was no point. The color differences are trivial.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but even BMD didn't feel the need to make different LUTs for the 6K vs the 4K.

thanks Joe for this comment. I also didn't see any convincing test yet.

roger.magnusson wrote:If you shoot Blackmagic Raw you can use Gen 5 in the Resolve beta releases already. But if you shoot ProRes it needs to be implemented in the camera.

that makes sense. I forgot about Prores. Never used it myself anyway.

John Griffin

PostTue Feb 23, 2021 9:22 am

joe12south wrote:
Phil999 wrote:It is said that the sensor of the pocket 6k renders better skin tones than the pocket 4k sensor. If that is true, it will probably not be likely that a pocket 4k pro will appear. On the other hand, with some knowledge in colour correction there are quite good skin tones possible with the pocket 4k.

"It's been said." Haven't seen it delivered.

Manufacturers make a single LUT for many cameras - Panasonic's V-LOG-REC 709 for instance which doesn't mean all the cameras produce the same colour fidelity or accuracy. IME the P6k produces better colour than the P4k in several ways - it's more accurate straight out of the camera (esp skin tones) so requires less work, it can separate out subtle colour hues better so it just looks more sophisticated and it retains more colour in the shadows which is both more natural and delivers more ability to lift the shadows ( with NR where appropriate).What's trivial to you may be a deal breaker for others (it was for me) and difference between all modern cameras in terms of image quality could all be called trivial in the bigger picture. Looking forwards to you big test BTW.

javier forza

PostWed Feb 24, 2021 4:15 am

joe12south

PostWed Feb 24, 2021 4:30 am

John Griffin wrote:Manufacturers make a single LUT for many cameras - Panasonic's V-LOG-REC 709 for instance which doesn't mean all the cameras produce the same colour fidelity or accuracy. IME the P6k produces better colour than the P4k in several ways - it's more accurate straight out of the camera (esp skin tones) so requires less work, it can separate out subtle colour hues better so it just looks more sophisticated and it retains more colour in the shadows which is both more natural and delivers more ability to lift the shadows ( with NR where appropriate).What's trivial to you may be a deal breaker for others (it was for me) and difference between all modern cameras in terms of image quality could all be called trivial in the bigger picture. Looking forwards to you big test BTW.

Would you be willing to go on the record with your choices from the blind test? 4K ProResHQ files scaled by Resolve and processed only to Gen 5 Video in the RAW tab.

Makc

PostWed Feb 24, 2021 2:41 pm

Yes, if BMPCC4K Pro appeared on sale, I am also ready to buy. I have good MFT optics and 4K resolution is enough for me. So one more vote for BMPCC4K Pro. Moreover, Panasonic had a camera with MFT and built-in ND - AG-AF100, that is, the technology should allow this.
Sorry for my English, I only study it yet.

Jim Simon

PostWed Feb 24, 2021 5:43 pm

I'm invested in m4/3 lenses. I would also love the new Pro features in a P4k. (I'm OK with the slightly larger body to make it work.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to Cinematography