ATEM 1 M/E + Pocket Cinema 6k

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

RPBenton

ATEM 1 M/E + Pocket Cinema 6k

PostMon Feb 22, 2021 10:24 pm

I know the ATEM Mini can use the camera control feature of the Cinema cameras. I have mine running to an ATEM 1 M/E and can't seem to get it to respond to the camera color correction. Tally lights don't work either. Are these features that should be working through the ATEM 1 M/E? The cameras are running HDMI out into a BM HDMI>SDI converter, so wondering if that's the issue? I believe all are on current firmware versions.

The cameras say "on air" on the software control, it's just not pushing anything back to the cameras. Is there a setting I'm missing by chance?

BennoZ

Re: ATEM 1 M/E + Pocket Cinema 6k

PostTue Feb 23, 2021 10:01 pm

I guess you need the Blackmagic Micro Converter BiDirectional SDI/HDMI 3G to do the job. I use this converter to control my Ursa by the ATEM Mini.
"It supports camera control protocol conversion, so you can use Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Cameras with professional SDI live production switchers!"

Sanghyun Park

PostWed Feb 24, 2021 9:42 am

BennoZ wrote:I guess you need the Blackmagic Micro Converter BiDirectional SDI/HDMI 3G to do the job. I use this converter to control my Ursa by the ATEM Mini.
"It supports camera control protocol conversion, so you can use Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Cameras with professional SDI live production switchers!"

Could you please describe more in detail about using 1ME and BMPCC?
Do you mean that BMPCC is connected with HDMI port of 1ME?
1ME, H.264pro, Shuttle 3.0, HDMI-SDI converter User

BennoZ

PostWed Feb 24, 2021 9:52 am

Yes, of course. If you scroll down you find the information halfway this page: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/microconverters

Sanghyun Park

PostWed Feb 24, 2021 9:55 pm

BennoZ wrote:Yes, of course. If you scroll down you find the information halfway this page: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/microconverters

Thanks for the reply.
1ME, H.264pro, Shuttle 3.0, HDMI-SDI converter User

RPBenton

PostWed Feb 24, 2021 10:00 pm

BennoZ wrote:Yes, of course. If you scroll down you find the information halfway this page

Thanks BennoZ! I think I'm missing a key component for camera control and tally. I have:
Pocket Cinema 6K HDMI Out > BM Micro Converter SDI to HDMI 3G > SDI > ATEM 1 M/E SDI Input 2-5

Seems like I need to pick up the bi-directional converters instead. But then need to run a second SDI back from the ATEM to the converter? With a 4-camera setup, and only 3 program outputs, is there a hub/splitter that I can run one output from the ATEM, then split to the 4 converters? Also, just confirming that the signal get back to the camera through the HDMI, even though it's plugged in the HDMI in on the converter.

Before going through with the whole setup, I plugged the camera direct via HDMI into the ATEM HDMI input 1. Still no tally light even when it's in program and the camera control in the software shows on air. Wondering if I'm doing something wrong there?

David Hutchinson

PostThu Feb 25, 2021 8:38 am

RPBenton wrote:I know the ATEM Mini can use the camera control feature of the Cinema cameras. I have mine running to an ATEM 1 M/E and can't seem to get it to respond to the camera color correction. Tally lights don't work either. Are these features that should be working through the ATEM 1 M/E? The cameras are running HDMI out into a BM HDMI>SDI converter, so wondering if that's the issue? I believe all are on current firmware versions.

The cameras say "on air" on the software control, it's just not pushing anything back to the cameras. Is there a setting I'm missing by chance?

Are you using the new 3g bidirectional converters? If not you need to, as it's the only way to get it to work.

If you are using them have you set up the camera ID inside the converter?

If both of these are ok, how long is your HDMI Lead?

BennoZ

PostThu Feb 25, 2021 9:52 am

Talking about converter ID; I don’t understand what’s it for. When I set my Ursa at ID 3, put the HDMI cable at input 3 and leave the converter at ID 1 everything works just perfect. So where is the ID-setting in the converter for?

RPBenton

PostThu Feb 25, 2021 12:48 pm

David Hutchinson wrote:Are you using the new 3g bidirectional converters? If not you need to, as it's the only way to get it to work.

If you are using them have you set up the camera ID inside the converter?

If both of these are ok, how long is your HDMI Lead?

I am not - was using just the regular mini converter, so thanks for the clarity! However, even if I plug the camera directly into the HDMI 1 input of the ATEM, it still does not light the tally of response to camera control. The software recognizes it as On Air, but the camera doesn't seem to. Tally light is set to on in the camera options. Any ideas? (HDMI is 6ft)

BennoZ

PostThu Feb 25, 2021 5:13 pm

You really need the micro bi-directional converter, if you connect the BMPCC to the HDMI input of your ATEM 1 M/E mixer tally and control won't work.
I use it the other way: I control my URSA Mini Pro by the ATEM Mini through the micro bi-directional converter.

By the way, it doesn't matter if you set tally on or of in the menu; this setting is only for the tally light at the front of your camera, the messages 'ON Air' and 'PREVIEW' always appear on your lcd-display. If you swipe up or down on the lcd display all messages (led meters, iris, histogram and so on) disappear, also the tally indication!

RPBenton

PostThu Feb 25, 2021 6:10 pm

BennoZ wrote:You really need the micro bi-directional converter, if you connect the BMPCC to the HDMI input of your ATEM 1 M/E mixer tally and control won't work.

Very interesting. That would imply there is a different technology in the hardware of the ATEM Mini vs the HDMI output of the ATEM 1 M/E, right? Unless I'm misunderstanding that with the Mini you can plug in a Cinema cam directly with HDMI and have it respond.

BennoZ wrote:By the way, it doesn't matter if you set tally on or of in the menu; this setting is only for the tally light at the front of your camera, the messages 'ON Air' and 'PREVIEW' always appear on your lcd-display. If you swipe up or down on the lcd display all messages (led meters, iris, histogram and so on) disappear, also the tally indication!

Good to know - thanks!

BennoZ

PostThu Feb 25, 2021 9:46 pm

Yes, when you plug BMPCC's into the ATEM Mini then all remote functions and tally's work just fine.

David Hutchinson

PostThu Feb 25, 2021 10:23 pm

BennoZ wrote:Talking about converter ID; I don’t understand what’s it for. When I set my Ursa at ID 3, put the HDMI cable at input 3 and leave the converter at ID 1 everything works just perfect. So where is the ID-setting in the converter for?

The pocket cameras do not have an internal setting which identifies the camera to the ATEM (like the Ursa Mini and Broadcast do), on the Minis this is done by the input used. However when you want use the pocket with the big ATEMs you need a way for the camera to know when control signals are being sent to it. This is done by the bi directional converter.

BennoZ

PostThu Feb 25, 2021 10:25 pm

Thanks a lot, that's very clear now!

Return to Live Production