Adjustment clip problem in Color page

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Rolands Briedis

Adjustment clip problem in Color page

PostWed Jul 03, 2019 3:10 pm

Hello, I could not find anywhere the answer, so I hope to get it here:
I am using Adjustment clips to set LUT, basic color corrections for all clips in my timeline together. But when I have selected clip and positioned timeline playhead in edit page to a clip and I open color page. Then I have problem - when color page is opened there is adjustment clip automatically selected and I have to search my clip again through clip tab or timeline tab. If the total length of the timeline is about 1 min, then it is fine, but for longer edits, it is too much time consumption to search clip again. Is there any possibility to disable adjustment clip as an option to select, so when I open color page my playhead remains in the same position with the top most clip selected, so I can color grade it right away? Thank You for Your help in advance.
Last edited by Rolands Briedis on Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Jim Simon

Re: Adjustment clip in Color page

PostWed Jul 03, 2019 3:11 pm

You can Disable the track with the Adjustment Clip. Then only clips below will be selected for grading.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Rolands Briedis

Re: Adjustment clip in Color page

PostWed Jul 03, 2019 3:16 pm

Yes, but then I lose my settings in adjustment clip. For example, I use adjustment clip to set contrast, saturation to a certain level for all clips together in a fast way, but when I disable it and open clip in color page, I need to see adjustment layer as well with settings I applied to it.

Jim Simon wrote:You can Disable the track with the Adjustment Clip. Then only clips below will be selected for grading.

Jim Simon

Re: Problem in Color page

PostWed Jul 03, 2019 3:33 pm

So then maybe a Shared Node is the better way to go here.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Rolands Briedis

PostWed Jul 03, 2019 3:40 pm

Thank You for an answer, the shared node is definitely an option, I am just very used to adjustment clips from Premiere Pro, so I thought I could use them fully in my working style. Anyone else has an idea for this? I think it is an easy fix for Blackmagic team. But maybe it possible right now in Beta 5, but I can't find a solution. I think that this will be topic for many users coming from Premiere Pro to Davinci Resolve.

Jim Simon wrote:So then maybe a Shared Node is the better way to go here.

Jim Simon

PostWed Jul 03, 2019 4:19 pm

I used to do it that way, too.

I now prefer the Shared Node method. Give it a try.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

John Paines

PostWed Jul 03, 2019 4:27 pm

You can also make corrections to the timeline (all of it), using timeline rather than the clip nodes.

Then, to make corrections to individual clips, switch back to clip mode.

Rolands Briedis

PostWed Jul 03, 2019 4:32 pm

For example I have two adjustment clips over all timeline for night scene and day scene. For all night scene part I adjust shadows, reduce saturation, put some grain etc. For day scene in adjustment clip I also use a couple of corrections. This is a really easy way to do it. There is no option to use compound nodes as shared nodes, so this is not fast and elegant way to adjust large parts of composition in intuitive way. I know it is posible to do this, but I am talking about expanding Adjustment clip potencial in Davinci Resolve.

John Paines wrote:You can also make corrections to the timeline (all of it), using timeline rather than the clip nodes.

Then, to make corrections to individual clips, switch back to clip mode.

Jim Simon

Re: Adjustment clip problem in Color page

PostWed Jul 03, 2019 5:05 pm

You're not really asking for a change to Adjustment Clips, though. You're asking for a fundamental change on the Color page which would affect all clips, and not in a good way.

I really do think the better option is to "forget" what PP could do and learn how Resolve does things. Frankly, I think Resolve does them better.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Stu Mannion

PostWed Jan 13, 2021 1:19 am

The adjustment clip is actually a very elegant way to drop an overall look for on a section and if BM made one small change they would work perfectly.

If the color page payed attention to the 'Auto track selector' button from the edit page, then when we switch to the color page the clip we had selected would stay selected rather than the adjustment layer. And when a clip has played through it would select the next clip rather than again selecting the adjustment layer.
M1 max MacBook 32GB ram, Mac OS 12.6.3, DR 18.6.2

Stu Mannion

PostFri Jan 29, 2021 4:52 am

There is a solution! On the color page, on the tiny timeline, Option-click the track with the adjustment layer to disable it's selection (but not its effect).
M1 max MacBook 32GB ram, Mac OS 12.6.3, DR 18.6.2

Jim Simon

PostFri Jan 29, 2021 3:44 pm

That was the very first suggestion offered, Stu.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

quickreactor

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 2:03 am

Jim Simon wrote:That was the very first suggestion offered, Stu.

No, Stu offered the ability to disable selection without disabling the effect, the first solution was just disabling the layer. Thanks Stu, this works well!

egciuffo

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 7:40 pm

Stu Mannion wrote:There is a solution! On the color page, on the tiny timeline, Option-click the track with the adjustment layer to disable it's selection (but not its effect).

Hi, i'm struggling with the same problem ... Sorry, but what do you mean by "Option-click"? If i select the track of the adjustment layer in the tiny timeline on the color page i don't have any options. Right-clicking on it does not open any options. I can only click on the left side of it on "V2" but that disables also the effects, not only the selection of the layer.
Could you explain better how you disable only the selection but not the effects? Thanks!

panos_mts

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 8:22 pm

egciuffo wrote:Sorry, but what do you mean by "Option-click"?
He means to hold the option keyboard key (or the alt key on Windows) and click on the track.

egciuffo

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 9:03 pm

panos_mts wrote:
egciuffo wrote:Sorry, but what do you mean by "Option-click"?
He means to hold the option keyboard key (or the alt key on Windows) and click on the track.

I'm on Linux, but it should be the same as with Windows (at least it is usually). I've tried all of them, Ctl-Click, Alt-Click, Windows-Click, none of them opens any options ...

NicWassell

PostWed Apr 13, 2022 12:37 pm

I was looking for the solution to this exact problem so thank you to Stu! In my case the adjustment layer was acting as the aspect ratio black bars which animate and change from 2.4:1 to 4:3 so couldn't use basic output blanking.

Just to clear up confusion above - it's not about option-clicking and then selecting an option from a menu. You option click on the track number at the far left (V1, V2 etc) and it will go red. When it does, the adjustment layer on that track will disappear from the clips in the color page (while still allowing their effect to be seen).

Return to DaVinci Resolve