P6kPro monitor issue

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Andrea Cecchini

P6kPro monitor issue

PostFri Feb 26, 2021 12:56 pm

Hi,
I have the pro6k for a few hours, and while the EVF pro colors are very accurated, the LCD monitor is very saturated. very bluonish, It seems has a HDR activated on board. I have the 'old' P6K for compare. I also connected the Portkeys BM5II with HDMI and the colors are perfects. very natural. Thus I think is something that an update could resolve. For the rest is amazing camera and NDs is perfect..

Other issues I can import the luts but I'm not be able to charge it and delete it either.

There's somebody from BM team can reply me?

Robert Niessner

Re: P6kPro monitor issue

PostFri Feb 26, 2021 3:12 pm

I'd guess that you have accidentally activated a display LUT above the internal LUT.
Make sure that if you for example have set dynamic range to "video" or "extended video" you have no display LUT activated for the LCD
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Andrea Cecchini

PostFri Feb 26, 2021 3:35 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:I'd guess that you have accidentally activated a display LUT above the internal LUT.
Make sure that if you for example have set dynamic range to "video" or "extended video" you have no display LUT activated for the LCD

None of this. i know what i'm saying and i know the camera very well. The monitor has vivid and saturated colors. Also in Film mode and without luts on it you see the weird bluonish of the new panel.
Also the info like the red icons of alarm battery and REC on display is very very saturated.

Like I said it seem the panel has a default HDR activated
While the evf has a perfect colors.

Anyway another user has posted the same problem on YT.

Robert Niessner

PostFri Feb 26, 2021 3:47 pm

Ok, then it might be the right time to contact support or your dealer for an exchange.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

rick.lang

P6kPro monitor issue

PostFri Feb 26, 2021 5:15 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:I'd guess that you have accidentally activated a display LUT above the internal LUT.
I’d disagree here and suggest looking at the screen when your are recording in Dynamic Range Film mode. Video and Extended Video are equivalent to applying a corresponding LUT.

However it appears something may be at fault since Film was used. I just mention this as a possible approach in general for others.
Rick Lang

JackBurton

PostSat Feb 27, 2021 3:31 am

Yes, my BMPCC 6K PRO had a similar LCD issue. Absolutely on the blueish side and definitely not colour accurate. I had my camera sitting on the desk in the edit suite - on playback both on the camera LCD and in Davinci on my monitor and they looked poles apart in colour balance. Looked great in Davinci, terrible on the LCD.

I also cant import any custom LUTS (BM have said others have experienced this issue and it'll be solved with the next firmware upgrade)

So in saying all this, I've send my 6k pro back to New Magic / Black Magic here in Melbourne.

brianlah87

PostSat Feb 27, 2021 5:56 am

I have the same issue, it is not user error.

I’ve tried 2 different BMPCC6k pro units, I also have a BMPCC6k original and an ursa mini pro 4.6k

The output over HDMI and the footage is correct but the screen color temp looks way off or has a very strong color cast.

404E4C1D-EF38-4DD2-BC1C-4F332ED15554.jpeg
Left is MacBook Pro in Resolve. True Tone is turned off, the room is pitch black. Right is a SmallHD focus (LCD) over hdmi. Middle is the bmpcc6kpro display.
404E4C1D-EF38-4DD2-BC1C-4F332ED15554.jpeg (51.97 KiB) Viewed 29769 times

Left is MacBook Pro in Resolve. True Tone is turned off, the room is pitch black. Right is a SmallHD focus (LCD) over hdmi. Middle is the bmpcc6kpro display.

I’ve tried 2 different units they both exhibit the same problem.

F077FF0E-23A8-4683-96E5-DDC0E5123CE7.jpeg
F077FF0E-23A8-4683-96E5-DDC0E5123CE7.jpeg (109.46 KiB) Viewed 29769 times

Looks like something that might be fixed in a firmware update
Brian

threetwenty

PostSat Feb 27, 2021 3:16 pm

Same issue, can't select or delete luts on the 6k.

Ben Hewitt

Andrea Cecchini

PostMon Mar 01, 2021 3:29 pm

brianlah87 wrote:I have the same issue, it is not user error.

I’ve tried 2 different BMPCC6k pro units, I also have a BMPCC6k original and an ursa mini pro 4.6k

The output over HDMI and the footage is correct but the screen color temp looks way off or has a very strong color cast.

404E4C1D-EF38-4DD2-BC1C-4F332ED15554.jpeg

I’ve tried 2 different units they both exhibit the same problem.

F077FF0E-23A8-4683-96E5-DDC0E5123CE7.jpeg

Looks like something that might be fixed in a firmware update

I'm finally not the only one who has this problem.
Problem that occurs immediately once you turn on the camera.
I hope someone from BM is listening.

JordanWright

PostMon Mar 01, 2021 4:50 pm

I also have the same Blue-tint issue, I don't imagine it to be a huge deal as ill just export some LUTs with a warmer temperature to compensate. But it would be fantastic to have something like monitor temp and tint options added in the next firmware update, it would save BM the hassle from the people that would send the camera back for this.

I also can't import LUTs at the moment so thats going to be a future fix.

Ive seen a few other people mention this, as well as people having a similar issue on the 12g monitors.

Edit: its almost a good sign that a lot of people have this issue, makes it more likely that a firmware update could correct and sort out the problem.

Paul Jonathan

PostMon Mar 01, 2021 5:39 pm

Any official word from Blackmagic on this? Have a 6K Pro on the way and would hate to return it for such a minor problem, especially if it's fixable via firmware upgrade.

Jamie LeJeune

PostMon Mar 01, 2021 8:55 pm

Same here. The LCD display on the 6K Pocket Pro I got (just arrived on Saturday) is quite a bit cooler than D65 (and a bit green as well). The original 6K Pocket I've got here actually appears to be quite close to D65 (at least by eye). So it's quite different to the 6K Pocket Pro, even when I reduce the brightness on the Pro's LCD to match the dimmer original 6K Pocket LCD.
I can confirm it's not a mistake of LUT being applied or any other setting issue (as I've got the same settings and lens as the 6K Pocket next to it, only difference is that I made sure to custom white balance each sensor to a grey card). Perhaps it is something that can be adjusted via firmware. Or it could simply be the price of a brighter display at essentially the same price point.
Who knows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The original BMCC and the original Pocket had LCDs that were far from accurate as well. While the more recent models — Ursa Mini Pro, 4K Pocket, 6K Pocket — have all had quite good looking LCDs, in my experience.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

WahWay

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 12:29 am

Has anyone got a perfect display from their 6k Pro?

francesco.dadamo

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 6:30 am

Hello everyone, first post on the forum to say that yesterday I received my unit and without knowing that other users had reported this I had the impression that everything was looking a bit too cold and blueish on the monitor compared to what I'm used to with other equipment.

In the initial enthusiasm I thought naively that I was too well accustomed to the white balance of my 5dIV, then viewing the footage at home I came to the conclusion that the monitor has simply incorrect values, appearing cooler in temperature and tint.

Tom Roper

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 7:40 am

Jamie LeJeune wrote:Perhaps it is something that can be adjusted via firmware. Or it could simply be the price of a brighter display at essentially the same price point.

It is reasonable to have an objection to this. Everybody knows including me a correct method for white balancing but there are circumstances that will insist you to press the record button before you are ready. An express decision to adjust the white balance slider visually could be better than nothing, but if the monitor itself is off-color, that option could only worsen the outcome.

I can't now in good conscience bring myself to pre-order until this issue is publicly acknowledged by BMD. A firmware update hopefully, or sending a camera to a service center for screen replacement, or a product recall, or a halt to shipments to expedite repairs but I need assurance of some kind or I can't move forward with it. I hate to be that way but the new screen is fully 1/3 the incentive for this camera to upgrade from my P6K, the EVF option and internal ND being the other 2/3. The camera is a value leader to be sure but $3,000 is not nothing either.

WahWay

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 7:56 am

Their Video Assist 12G HDR is a headache too with with the red cast and I'm not sure if that was ever addressed. The experience with that does not give me a great deal of confident with the monitor on the 6k Pro if BMD does not address this like with the VA12GHDR.

I felt the problem with their display could be handle better with a user selectable RGB like what we have with computer monitors or a colour gain options.

Andrea Cecchini

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 11:25 am

Hi, I have take some still from my iphone (not easy) and is clear the difference between the internal LCD, the EVF and the Ext monitor. The EVF and Portkeys BM5II have the best color and very very similar in live

Maybe it's time for someone in BM to answer? or am I asking too much?
Attachments
IMG_4262.JPG
Evf
IMG_4262.JPG (121.37 KiB) Viewed 29285 times
IMG_4269.JPG
With Int, Lut
IMG_4269.JPG (184.64 KiB) Viewed 29285 times
IMG_4268.jpg
Not lut
IMG_4268.jpg (175.45 KiB) Viewed 29285 times

Robert Niessner

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 11:51 am

That's pretty bad.
This forum here is primarily a user to user forum, BMD employees are participating only occasionally.
You should contact support directly for faster help.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

WahWay

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 1:43 pm

Mine is comming tomorrow but deferred for thursday delivery. Hopefully mine is free of this problem and others :|

trainman13905

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 1:52 pm

Apparently I can’t post URLs but there’s a video (not mine and I don’t own a 6K Pro) of a possible fix or workaround for this. Thought it might help some. On the Reddit subreddit of r/bmpcc sort by new.

Paul Jonathan

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 2:48 pm

Yes Robert is right - everyone who has this issue should raise it with Blackmagic Support. The more people the better so they realise it's a real issue in need of a solution.

Btw Andrea - I saw that you have the EVF. How is it? Do you like it? How are the colors?

Andrea Cecchini

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 3:25 pm

Paul Jonathan wrote:Yes Robert is right - everyone who has this issue should raise it with Blackmagic Support. The more people the better so they realise it's a real issue in need of a solution.

Btw Andrea - I saw that you have the EVF. How is it? Do you like it? How are the colors?

The EVF Pro is AWESOME! every camera should have it.
I can compare to the URSA Mini Pro Evf for quality. The colors are perfect.
And the Siemens chart for focusing is a must.

I wish BM makes an extension cable to be able to mount it out the side so can mount the camera on the shoulder. I think isn't complicated :)

Craig Seeman

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 3:25 pm

Saw this video so thought I'd add it to the conversation.

Ryan Earl

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 3:33 pm

What about LCD warm up time?

If I had the issue, I would run the camera for 15 - 30 mins to see if there are any visible shifts on the screen. Is it any warmer (less green?) after 30 minutes or an hour?

Andrea Cecchini

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 3:43 pm

Craig Seeman wrote:Saw this video so thought I'd add it to the conversation.

I saw this video,
but This guy in not solved nothing. Is an evidence the two different tint between the 6kpro and the 6k.
It enough connect an ext monitor to understand is not a Lut turn on/off or new Gen. color science.
The signal out the HDMI is perfect as the EVF pro but the monitor on board has a very strange tint blueish.

And sorry but every camera suffer of this issue.

if it were as he says then I would see this bluish color also on the ext monitor and in the evf-pro.

My photos prove what I am saying.

Robert Niessner

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 3:54 pm

Ryan Earl wrote:What about LCD warm up time?

If I had the issue, I would run the camera for 15 - 30 mins to see if there are any visible shifts on the screen. Is it any warmer (less green?) after 30 minutes or an hour?

Quite unlikely. That used to be an issue when the backlight of LCDs had been cold cathode fluorescent lamps (CCFL). Modern LCDs are using LEDs which need almost no warm up time.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

robedge

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 3:59 pm

Andrea Cecchini wrote:
I saw this video,
but This guy in not solved nothing. Is an evidence the two different tint between the 6kpro and the 6k.
It enough connect an ext monitor to understand is not a Lut turn on/off or new Gen. color science.
The signal out the HDMI is perfect as the EVF pro but the monitor on board has a very strange tint blueish.

if it were as he says then I would see this bluish color also on the ext monitor and in the evf-pro.

Cocky video that is attracting some pretty negative comments from viewers who appear to be 6K Pro owners. This guy has made six videos about the 6K Pro in the last week, so may be more interested in churning them out than in thoughtful analysis.
Last edited by robedge on Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ryan Earl

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 3:59 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:
Ryan Earl wrote:What about LCD warm up time?

Quite unlikely. That used to be an issue when the backlight of LCDs had been cold cathode fluorescent lamps (CCFL). Modern LCDs are using LEDs which need almost no warm up time.

Good to know, both my HP DreamColor displays; the Z31x and Z24x G2 take about 30 minutes to an hour before the green cast goes away.

Tom Roper

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 5:27 pm

Andrea Cecchini wrote:I saw this video, but This guy in not solved nothing. Is an evidence the two different tint between the 6kpro and the 6k.

I'm confused by what he said as well.

"If I expose my image properly, and properly set my white balance, there's actually no issue at all. If I was to turn on my lut again, you can start to see the colors look a lot better. And then fiddle the white balance adjustment as well as changes to my exposure, I can get some fantastic colors off of the screen."

<-- Interpreting that, you start with proper exposure and white balance but then change them again after turning the lut on again to get "fantastic color off of the screen." That seems to me that you are changing away from the proper exposure and white balance you started with to make the screen look good. What's the point of making the screen look good if it doesn't match the recorded image? Very confused.

Paul Jonathan

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 5:59 pm

Craig Seeman wrote:Saw this video so thought I'd add it to the conversation.

LOL at that guy being clueless and condescending at the same time - people are rightfully giving him a hard time in the comments.

People claiming in the comments of that video that Blackmagic has already acknowledged the problem and said that a fix is coming. Any sources for that?

Paul Jonathan

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 6:12 pm

Andrea Cecchini wrote:The EVF Pro is AWESOME! every camera should have it.

I wish BM makes an extension cable to be able to mount it out the side so can mount the camera on the shoulder. I think isn't complicated :)

Thank you for your reply - I think you might have convinced me :D Now to find it in stock in EU haha..

JB mentioned about the rubber cup coming loose - do you have that issue also? I saw that you used a blue chamois with the eye piece which I would do as well. Which size are you using?

So excited to be shooting this camera pretty much out of the box..

threetwenty

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 6:36 pm

Was just about to reply when the video seems to have been taken down. I’m having this issue too.

He completely misses the point and the problem. It has nothing to do with LUTS, Gen5 science or dynamic range mode. The actual monitor has a blue tint when compared to perfectly calibrated monitors - it’s as simple as that.

Andrea Cecchini

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 6:36 pm

Paul Jonathan wrote:
Andrea Cecchini wrote:The EVF Pro is AWESOME! every camera should have it.

Thank you for your reply - I think you might have convinced me :D Now to find it in stock in EU haha..

JB mentioned about the rubber cup coming loose - do you have that issue also? I saw that you used a blue chamois with the eye piece which I would do as well. Which size are you using?

So excited to be shooting this camera pretty much out of the box..

Yes, definitely! The EVF Pro is a gem that others competitors can only dream. The high quality glass makes the difference.

Yes, there have been a few times that the rubber eyepiece has fallen out also because the eyecushion is big enough to get in the way. But this is an old model i found in the drawer, think the round extra small #2010 would be more suitable.

Paul Jonathan

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 8:36 pm

Thanks for linking the fitting chamois - will order that one once I am able to get an EVF somewhere. About the rubber cup - is there any way to fix that? Have you tried taping it down or something like that? Because I know I would lose it so quickly if it keeps coming loose..

Jamie LeJeune

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 9:00 pm

Paul Jonathan wrote:Thanks for linking the fitting chamois - will order that one once I am able to get an EVF somewhere. About the rubber cup - is there any way to fix that? Have you tried taping it down or something like that? Because I know I would lose it so quickly if it keeps coming loose..
I can't speak for the Pocket Pro EVF as I don't have one yet, but I had a similar issue with the URSA EVF — the rubber eyecup kept falling out. So I added it a bit of craft felt to it (sticky on one side, felt on the other) between the eyecup and the EVF that provides just enough friction so that the eye cup stays on tighter and no longer falls off so easily. It wasn't my own original solution, someone posted it here on the forum. If I can find the original I'll link it here.
CleanShot 2021-03-02 at 12.58.34.png
CleanShot 2021-03-02 at 12.58.34.png (202.25 KiB) Viewed 28899 times

CleanShot 2021-03-02 at 12.58.39.png
CleanShot 2021-03-02 at 12.58.39.png (190.83 KiB) Viewed 28899 times
www.cinedocs.com

Paul Jonathan

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 9:14 pm

Ah nice thinking! I love these little DIY fixes here. Unfortunately I think due to the way the eyepiece attaches on the EVF that isn't really an option. But it looks like there's a section where the rubber meets the metal piece that seems flush that you could just wrap some tape around it?

Matthew_Lawrence

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 10:41 pm

My LCD also seems to have a slight colour cast. I don't really have much to compare it to as I haven't yet bought the EVF and I don't have an external monitor. Hopefully it can be fixed with a firmware update.

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 11:24 pm

Hi,

We're looking into this. Should be able to address this via a software update.

Matthew_Lawrence

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 11:55 pm

Kristian Lam wrote:Hi,

We're looking into this. Should be able to address this via a software update.

Great, thanks Kristian.

Jamie LeJeune

PostWed Mar 03, 2021 1:04 am

Kristian Lam wrote:Hi, We're looking into this. Should be able to address this via a software update.
Very glad to hear that : )
www.cinedocs.com

Tom Roper

PostWed Mar 03, 2021 2:49 am

Jamie LeJeune wrote:
Kristian Lam wrote:Hi, We're looking into this. Should be able to address this via a software update.
Very glad to hear that : )

Great News!

WahWay

PostWed Mar 03, 2021 5:09 am

threetwenty wrote:Was just about to reply when the video seems to have been taken down. I’m having this issue too.

He completely misses the point and the problem. It has nothing to do with LUTS, Gen5 science or dynamic range mode. The actual monitor has a blue tint when compared to perfectly calibrated monitors - it’s as simple as that.

The Video Assist 12G HDR has a red tint. Lets hope BMD fixes them all with firmware updates.

WahWay

PostThu Mar 04, 2021 4:41 pm

My camera arrive today. Just tested now.
No blue tint :)
Monitor is bright and clear. I wish their VA 12G HDR was as good, maybe if they fix the red tint on that.
On the screen colour science 5 luts does push the shadow to milky grey which takes getting use to.
For me its not that big, not pocket size but if you are use to higher end dSLR its about that size.

Robert Niessner

PostThu Mar 04, 2021 4:53 pm

WahWay wrote:My camera arrive today. Just tested now.
No blue tint :)
Monitor is bright and clear. I wish their VA 12G HDR was as good, maybe if they fix the red tint on that.
On the screen colour science 5 luts does push the shadow to milky grey which takes getting use to.
For me its not that big, not pocket size but if you are use to higher end dSLR its about that size.

Would you mind testing out my LBK-neutral LUT I made for Gen 5 for the UMP12k?
You can find it here:
viewtopic.php?p=693224#p693224

I am curious how it works out with the new monitor and the PCC6k Pro's Gen 5 color science.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

WahWay

PostThu Mar 04, 2021 5:07 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:Would you mind testing out my LBK-neutral LUT I made for Gen 5 for the UMP12k?
You can find it here:
viewtopic.php?p=693224#p693224

I am curious how it works out with the new monitor and the PCC6k Pro's Gen 5 color science.

I can load it into the camera, its on the Luts menu but cant select it.

Tom Roper

PostThu Mar 04, 2021 5:45 pm

I’m not sure how to take this. A number of people have demonstrated the blue tint problem. The guy who said it was not a problem at all retracted his YouTube video after getting called out. BMD have said they are looking into a firmware fix. Now Wahway says his camera doesn’t have blue tint problem. Unless it got firmware fix, (not likely), then either he is wrong or BMD have Q.C. problem making every buy a crapshoot.

WahWay

PostThu Mar 04, 2021 5:53 pm

Someone commented on the video before it was shut down said one copy has blue tint but another was fine so its not a perception if the same person is seeing two different examples.

I'm curious how BMD firmware is to going to address this when some appears fine? Maybe they do a colour balance or they have different screens and it fixes the problem ones they know about?

Tom Roper

PostThu Mar 04, 2021 6:16 pm

Brianlah87 said in this topic that he tried two, both had the blue tint problem. If BMD is going to offer a firmware fix it will be because all units have the problem. If they don’t, it means a crapshoot buy. Does anyone else have a perfect monitor?

WahWay

PostThu Mar 04, 2021 6:20 pm

I bet the one Grant uses don't have the problem.

I put the lens cover onto the body covering the sensor. I turned the brightness up and down, it changes from black to pale grey depend on brightness. Does the problem display see blue tint instead?

Ryan Earl

PostThu Mar 04, 2021 7:42 pm

Tom Roper wrote:Does anyone else have a perfect monitor?

I received my copy today and didn't get the EVF yet. I plugged it into a monitor that stores a calibration and have the same result as Andrea.

When I set an auto white balance off of a gray card for example it looked accurate on the monitor and too cyan on the Pocket 6K LCD.

WahWay wrote:Does the problem display see blue tint instead?

If it has an incorrect calibration, if you don't have another point of reference, just judging the monitor, you could set an incorrect white balance when adjusting by eye, so it will look fine on the LCD, but when you go to the computer it's really too blue / green.

I'd be interested to know too if the fix is to recalibrate the monitor in the factory or will it allow for a user calibration? What will the tolerance for error be?

My URSA 4.6K LCDs has never perfectly matched my URSA Viewfinder BTW.
Next

Return to Cinematography