Media Offline, but its not

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

dafox55

Re: Media Offline, but its not

PostThu Jan 07, 2021 12:29 am

Media suddenly goes offline? Check your VRAM. I'll bet it's full to the brim when it happens. VRAM is everything, no such thing as too much, sure wish I could "donate" some of my regular RAM to the cause.. Funny, sometimes I can jump to the Deliver page and render it out anyway, but not always.
Resolve Studio 18.5.0.41 Release; Win10pro-21H2 (19044.3086); Gigabyte Z390 i(tx); i9-9900; 64GB; 2TB Sandisk; 2TB m.2; Gigabyte RTX 2070 mini itx 8G; Studio driver 536.67; Dell P2415Q (and cheap Samsung second monitor)

Morgan Gold

PostSun Jan 10, 2021 10:32 pm

Running:

Resolve: 17.1B Build 11 (Studio)
MacBook Air M1, 2020
OSX Big Sur: v.11

I've just switched over and I have a project that contains shots from multiple shoots with different cameras.
Most of the footage shows up in my timeline is fine, but there are a group of clips that I had converted from .braw to .mov (.h264) that are showing 'media offline'. They are not in-fact offline. They are in the same place they where (on an external drive) before swapping to the new laptop and new DR. They show as linked in the media pool. I can play them from the system finder fine.
In the media pool when I view the source file it also shows as 'media offline'.

Update:
Started a new project. Dropped one of the problem clips in. I see it for about 2 seconds before it changes to ‘media offline’.
...and if I scrub through the source file in the Resolve preview viewer, it show me one frame at the beginning and one random frame halfway through. Other than that it displays ‘media offline’ as well.

Update 2:
Backed-up the database and restored it to a 2018 MBP and everything works fine. Maybe an issue between the new hardware and Resolve beta?
2021 16-inch M1-Max MacBook Pro

Uli Plank

PostMon Jan 11, 2021 1:58 am

Yep, you are on the 'bleeding' edge: new system, new hardware and a beta software. There are other reports of "media offline" without it really being the case.
BM needs to sort that out, but you should post in the subform for beta 17.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Morgan Gold

PostMon Jan 11, 2021 2:16 am

Uli Plank wrote:Yep, you are on the 'bleeding' edge: new system, new hardware and a beta software. There are other reports of "media offline" without it really being the case.
BM needs to sort that out, but you should post in the subform for beta 17.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've gone ahead and done that.
2021 16-inch M1-Max MacBook Pro

GuywithaGuitar

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 2:51 am

Hey guys.
So whenever I cut a video in any way down to a few seconds, that cut down portion of the video gets the media offline triangle, even when the main video is in the media pool and still on my computer. This only happens when I cut the video into small sections.

I am on Mac using DaVinci Resolve 16.2.8.005

Pls help!

bounceHouse

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 6:46 am

@GuywithaGuitar, if helpful, these are tips gathered from earlier in the discussion; the first one might be helpful:
* Playback menu - delete Render cache - all; then quit and restart Resolve

Other things that may not apply to you but I include for closer-to-completeness for windows users:
* ensure your nVidia drivers are updated to the latest Studio (not game-ready) driver if applicable
* if you are working with H.265 media, installing HVEC Video extension from Microsoft Store

Good luck!
PC Win 10 Pro, 64GB ram; NVidia 522.30; dual monitor; RTX 3080 (10GB); auto/CUDA processing mode; SSD cache, separate SSD for data; Davinci Studio 18.6.6 build

GuywithaGuitar

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 8:07 am

@bounceHouse

No. Freakin. Way.
I did as you said (playback - delete render cache, all) and it worked!!!
I'm new to DaVinci Resolve so I was really annoyed by this, not able to find a solution. Thanks so much!

aquinox

• Warnings: 1

PostWed Jan 20, 2021 3:48 pm

same in second last beta... external drive being used.
AMD3700x
32GB DDR4
RTX2060 super
SSD
Win10

Time wasted due to resolve bugs: 38 hours (and counting.. just used for 6 months)
Time wasted due to Premiere bugs: 108 hrs (final)

multifoto

PostTue Jan 26, 2021 8:15 am

I had the exact same issue. Media appeared to be offline, but was not. Could see it in bin, could get it to playback from timeline when doubleclicking on it. The solution to my problem was the same as mentioned here, I hade to manually delete the render cache. Now it works again.

multifoto

PostWed Jan 27, 2021 6:29 am

just noticed another issue where the symptom is different but the solution the same. I have one project, including media, on an SSD. Edited that project on another computer, then moved back to the main editing machine. The project opens up fine, but the playback is completely wrong. The cached content is from the previous edit. Again I need to manually delete the cache to get the project to work. The cache location is the local disk on both machines.

Not sure if this is a bug or if I misunderstand how the software should behave.

redfishsmoking

PostThu Feb 04, 2021 3:13 pm

having the same issue with iphone footage only. but for me its not doing it to the whole clip, only seemingly random frames. how can a frame be offline but the clip isnt? sometimes it goes away by itself, sometimes ill requeue the clip over and over again and that MIGHT fix it. sometimes it wont happen until i cut a clip and then i get media offline frames at the point where i cut the clip. relinking is obviously useless. ive tried clearing render caches: pointless.
how is this still such a huge issue for so many people? why isnt BMD fixing this or even giving a real statement about it?

Uli Plank

PostFri Feb 05, 2021 5:44 am

Footage out of any phone is problematic, since they are recording variable frame rates. So, at any given moment, DR will not get the frame it is looking for and say "offline". Get a simple amateur program or a real camera.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

ahense

PostSun Feb 14, 2021 3:05 pm

I have a similar set of problems in DaVinci Resolve Studio v17.0.0b.0033 (Windows/MSVC). Problems that I didn't have under version 16.

Media are shown as offline in the timeline although they are not. After restarting Resolve, they are "back again".

The real problem is that during rendering a ten minute project with codec H.265 and also H.264 the process stops with

"Render Job 1 failed as the current clip could not be processed. The clip C0005.MP4 could not be decoded correctly. Please check if the clip is still available on the drive."

Rendering the same project again leads to the same message but each time with another clip being the reason.

This is a blocker and I don't have any workaround.

redfishsmoking

PostFri Feb 19, 2021 2:17 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Footage out of any phone is problematic, since they are recording variable frame rates. So, at any given moment, DR will not get the frame it is looking for and say "offline". Get a simple amateur program or a real camera.

I have a real camera. My clients dont. Variable frame rate does make sense though. What doesnt make sense is why it might not happen sometimes until i cut a clip. How does cutting a clip change the frame rate?

Uli Plank

PostSat Feb 20, 2021 9:00 am

Which kind of media is holding those files?

RyanZylo

PostSun Feb 21, 2021 12:21 pm

Example.jpg
In the example you can see that the media offline card comes up only when the playhead is above the earlier portion of the clip. The clip is not a comp, it is a single clip.
Example.jpg (617.1 KiB) Viewed 13838 times
I'm having a weeeeiiird related issue that I don't see mentioned in this thread.

One of toeclips in my timeline is partly displaying Media Offline but the rest is fine! In the media browser the clip is there and visible, if I locate the clip in finder via the media browser it finds it just fine, but for some reason the first quarter of the clip in the timeline shows up as 'Media Offline', then the rest pops in just fine.

I've made adjustments to the clip in the colour page and it was fine yesterday. I've tried re-rendering, creating optimised media and making some further adjustments in the colour page (where the issue is also present) to see if that would kick it into gear but no luck. Have also tried quitting and reopening resolve and switching proxy media on and off.

Running resolve 17 Beta 3. Any one else had this issue / know what to do about it??
Beginner videographer / Hobbyist
YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh0wXn_Jovvrlp-A1Fopxsg

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Feb 22, 2021 10:30 pm

Why are you using beta 3?

If you haven't already, remove the clip from the Media Pool and re-add is from the Media Storage area and see if that fixes it.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Peder Henriksen

PostThu Feb 25, 2021 8:57 pm

I experienced the same problem with Media Offline in timeline only today. Using Studio 17.0b9 Windows.
Happen after I enabled Playback/Render Cache/ Smart, but not limited to cached clip (with blue line). Zooming in on the timeline fixed the problem.

Rohit Singhal

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Feb 26, 2021 1:19 am

Can you please try with the V17 release and let us know?
Rohit Singhal
DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Peder Henriksen

PostFri Feb 26, 2021 10:40 am

I first tried if I could recreate the problem in 17.0b9 so I did this:
Render Cache None
Delete Cache ALL
Render Cache Smart
Again I used Retime options ‘Optical Flow’ and Speed Warp’ set for a clip with retime in Inspector.

After Render Cache 3 clips in timeline were marked ‘Media Offline’. These were not marked cached (blue line). One clip was only marked partly. And this time the video was also missed in the timeline viewer.
Zooming in/out didn’t help immediately, but after playing around the problem was gone after a short time. I did see that one clip was also marked ‘Media Offline’ in Media Pool, however that disappear as soon as cursor was over the clip.

Then I install 17.0 and did the same test. This time I didn’t see a problem until I zoomed out from the selected clip (with Retime Control) and a part of the clip was marked ‘Media Offline’. After zooming in/out a few times it as gone and everything was fine.

It seems to me that – in my situation – the software has a problem/delay locating/load the video to use after Render Cache.
The Retime Clip - which is 3:23.09 and has freeze frames, mix of speed (100 and 25 %) and reverse playback – had severe problem with play back before rendering cache. The render process took about 15 minutes with a RTX3080 GPU running almost full speed all the time. And the cached files for this project takes 23,9 GB.

Hope this was usefull

OliverZ

PostSat Feb 27, 2021 10:02 am

I also have the problem with "Media Offline" in Studio Version 17.0!
All clips are available in the media pool and are displayed correctly. Under EDIT I now cut a clip, move, remove parts, create transitions ... and suddenly a snippet is displayed as "Media Offline" ... Incidentally, it is both MP4 with H264 and H265 coding with and without audio .
The Media Offline display can also appear at the end of a clip that has been added to the timeline - it is usually sufficient to hide the video at the end.

In principle, I have been able to solve the problem so far by choosing RenderCache = nonen and Delete RenderCache = all under PLAYBACK, then again RenderCache = smart and mark all clips and run "Generate optimized Media" again.

Maybe there is an attitude here that prevents all of that?
Regards
Oliver

PC: W10p64 (21H2), i7-5820k, 32GB, GTX1660Ti (6GB), 2x1TB M.2, 1x4TB SSD
NB: W11h64, AMD RYZEN 7 5800H, 64GB, RTX3060 (6GB), 1x512GB M.2, 1x1TB M.2, 1x8TB SSD
Resolve Studio 17.4.6/4, NVIDIA Studio 512.15

Bengt Sloman

PostSat Feb 27, 2021 11:06 am

OliverZ wrote:I also have the problem with "Media Offline" in Studio Version 17.0!
All clips are available in the media pool and are displayed correctly. Under EDIT I now cut a clip, move, remove parts, create transitions ... and suddenly a snippet is displayed as "Media Offline" ... Incidentally, it is both MP4 with H264 and H265 coding with and without audio .
The Media Offline display can also appear at the end of a clip that has been added to the timeline - it is usually sufficient to hide the video at the end.

In principle, I have been able to solve the problem so far by choosing RenderCache = nonen and Delete RenderCache = all under PLAYBACK, then again RenderCache = smart and mark all clips and run "Generate optimized Media" again.
Maybe there is an attitude here that prevents all of that?

Interesting workflow. But doesn't work for me. "Media Offline" is also omnipresent with my existing projects with 17.0 final.
Win 11 Pro, Davinci 18.6.4, 12900K, 64 DDR5, RTX 3090 MSI,

OliverZ

PostSat Feb 27, 2021 8:34 pm

DaVinci somehow seems to have a life of its own ... I have now imported a new project with the same clips (previously manually deleted all cache files) into the media pool and dragged them onto the timeline.
The clips were cut several times, with several effects such as e.g. NoiceReduction and much more.
No "Media Offline", no "GPU memory full" ....
Output as MP4 H265 without errors in record time (only 5 minutes for a 3 minute video - otherwise up to 8 minutes).
Do I have to understand what's different now?
Regards
Oliver

PC: W10p64 (21H2), i7-5820k, 32GB, GTX1660Ti (6GB), 2x1TB M.2, 1x4TB SSD
NB: W11h64, AMD RYZEN 7 5800H, 64GB, RTX3060 (6GB), 1x512GB M.2, 1x1TB M.2, 1x8TB SSD
Resolve Studio 17.4.6/4, NVIDIA Studio 512.15

capthook

PostSun Feb 28, 2021 12:46 am

Full release 17.0 seems to have fixed the Media Offline problems. ?
For Windows, it seems a restart is needed (not just shut-down and turn back on) for the fix to 'take'.
I was having loads of problems with 17.09 beta (none before), release 17.0 has not shown the problem.
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.2 | Nvidia Studio 537.42 | Mavic 2P | GH6 | Ronin SC
i9 13900K | 64GB 5600MHz DDR5 RAM | RTX4080 16GB | (4) 990Pro 2tb m.2 | Windows 11

berdinho10

PostFri Mar 05, 2021 7:55 am

Jean Claude wrote:If you are with windows 10 (?): test :
Enable Power option => High performance mode (possibility to customize the mode settings)

This solved my issue thanks

Vi-Dan

PostFri Mar 05, 2021 10:17 am

Hey Guys,
have the same problem.
Windows 10
Final Davinci resolve 17

I am working with Fusion and Editing. all of the sudden media is offline, but i can see the files in Media pool.

I have to restart Davinci Resolve to fix the problem.

Any other solution ?

Uli Plank

PostFri Mar 05, 2021 1:12 pm

I've seen it for the first time today, after clearing the cache the message was gone.

roysen66

PostSat Mar 06, 2021 8:55 am

capthook wrote:Full release 17.0 seems to have fixed the Media Offline problems. ?
For Windows, it seems a restart is needed (not just shut-down and turn back on) for the fix to 'take'.
I was having loads of problems with 17.09 beta (none before), release 17.0 has not shown the problem.

For me, it did not fix the problem. If I clear the cache files Resolve works for a while before my clips start to get offline again. :cry:

filiperb83

PostTue May 04, 2021 1:40 am

**SOLVE MY ISSUE WITH FALSE OFFLINE MEDIA**

Simply turned off render cache (none), it was previously set to "smart".

Still don't know what cause it.

Francis Chee

PostFri May 21, 2021 9:12 am

I have found this many times and the best fix I reckon is to check the available amount of memory on your selected cache drive. Usually this "pseudo" offline message will only occur when the cache drive no longer has adequate memory remaining for whatever task you are sending to it. For example huge time lapse files using tiff files etc. Not only should one regularly dump unwanted/unneeded cache files but also check the actual drive and keep it clean, cached files can easily take up giga bytes of space in no time at all.

analytik

PostTue Jul 20, 2021 10:51 am

Just in case this helps anyone new:

If you're using Windows 10, and some media show as offline and some not, you might need to get a HEVC codec - if you can see h.264 videos, but not h.265 (whether MKV or MP4), then that's the case.

See this reddit thread [1], but the short version is, find "HEVC Video Extensions" [2] by Microsoft in the Microsoft Store - it will cost you $1, unless you got the free one they offered until cca end of 2020.

[1] https www reddit com/r/Windows10/comments/j58y6f/no_longer_free_windows_10_hevc_video_extensions/

[2] https www microsoft com/store/productId/9NMZLZ57R3T7

(the forum wisely but annoyingly doesn't let me post links)

CtheProducer

PostMon Sep 13, 2021 8:50 pm

I just resolved this issue for myself by deleting all render cache under the playback menu. Seems my issue was just timeline related as I could match frame and the clip pulled up no problem.

My Media Storage Direct I/O location may have been offline when I started Resolve at some point, thus causing confusion with the render files; even though the I/O storage was online the following times I opened Resolve.

Studio Ver. 17.3.1 Build 5

roger2004

PostFri Sep 17, 2021 9:20 am

I had this issue today,
with the latest Nvidia Studio Driver,
Resolve 17.3.1 Build 5.
Strange thing is it says Media Offline in the preview window, but the clip itself still is green in the timeline, instead of read as with "real" offline media.

I just deleted the render caches and it worked.

soleil

PostSat Sep 18, 2021 7:35 pm

I was having this issue today and found that it was caused by my scratch disk being full. Just in case that helps anyone.

Uli Plank

PostSat Sep 18, 2021 8:23 pm

Overload of the hardware?

RalphBrown

PostMon Sep 20, 2021 6:37 pm

I agree with the various cache theories. I've seen this when doing a Save As. Often some pieces of individual clips will be shown offline and they are the pieces that are partially cached. Closing and reopening DVS generally fixes this and if not, clearing the cache does. I'm no where near at capacity on the SSD I use.

Sometimes, just waiting fixes it. I think that's when the cache has been rebuilt.
Dell Precision, Windows 10 Pro auto update, Intel i7-10700K, 64 GB, AMD Radeon VII, Bluetooth Soundcore Q20 headphones, 1 TB SSD, 16 TB hard drives.
Davinci Resolve Studio

raymentj

PostSun Nov 21, 2021 5:14 pm

All mp4's and .mov went off line causing me many hours of additional work, im using Catalina DR 17.4 Mac Pro 2013, never seen this issue before the majority of timeline is either R3D or ARRI RAW which is not affected, can only assume something to do with core media issue in the code, nothing wrong with my hardware, I use external RAID plenty of storage though the external storage im having to use is Windows NT File System using Tuxera NTFS which drives me crazy with the amount of disk writes that are not needed, so this may be a clue as to what on earth is going on

Uli Plank

PostMon Nov 22, 2021 1:18 am

Probably response times from that external storage. Like everyone, BM is always trying to make the program faster. So, if the response for a file access is not coming in time, it may assume it's offline.

To test this theory, you could copy all sources to a directly attached drive.

Murphy

PostTue Jan 18, 2022 5:19 am

I read thru this whole thing but did not see the Media Offline Issue that I'm experiencing. My Media Offline only shows up after restarting DaVinci Resolve or after computer restart.
I can complete a whole project and render it without any issues unless I shut down the laptop or close DaVinci Resolve. This forces me to complete a project in one day. I can not relink media either. I can play the media in Quick Time player without any issues.
I deleted the render cache and made sure smart cache is turned off. It does not matter where the media is located, on external hard drive or on laptop itself.

Any ideas?

I"m on DaVinci Resolve 17.4.3 Build 10 (the free version)
using MacBook Air M1 2020 macOS Monterey Version 12.1

Uli Plank

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 1:52 am

I never shut down my laptop, I just close the lid.
Apart from that, I've got no clue, never seen that. In particular not being able to relink didn't happen to me. On the contrary, I just relinked a 4 hours project from 4 years ago for some minor corrections, and it went without a hitch. I didn't even expect it to be effortless.
One thing I have observed with the new Apple laptops though: many older drives which are not self powered tend to disconnect again and again. You need to attach them via a hub.

LabPadre

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 3:08 pm

Howdy!

I am also having a similar issue. I am working with one clip. Large clips 60-100GB . These clips are 24 hours long. The clips are visible in the timeline and play BUT....every few minutes throughout the video there is small section of video that says MEDIA OFFLINE. Again this is all ONE video clip. The clip plays fine in any media player with no problems. Premiere does not have this issue either. Smaller files do not do this but I cannot tell what the threshold of file size is before it starts to happen.
I hope someone has a fix for this.

Thanks.

Uli Plank

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 12:44 am

Are these computer recordings? If so, check with MediaInfo if they are constant frame rate or not.

LabPadre

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 2:14 am

They are computer recordings from aXSplit video broadcast software. Recorded in .mp4 30fps CBR. i7-10xxx 16GB RAM, SSD, GTX1660 Ti. I will try a smaller file and see if the problem still occurs.

Thanks.

Uli Plank

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 6:42 am

Could they be slightly over 24 hours? It might be a timecode issue then.

LabPadre

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 7:06 am

They are not exactly 24 hours each some are a a few minutes shy and some are a few minutes more. I even have 38 hour video that does the same thing. until I figure out the problem I have to scrub through the whole clip and cut out each Media Offline section. Its a real pain.

Uli Plank

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 8:37 am

If you can cut it out, it must always be the same part, right?
If you have the space, a transcode might help then.

LabPadre

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 7:49 pm

I cant say whether its in the same spot. There is usually a dozen or so. I cut them and render and move on to the next video. I have plenty of room. Not sure what you mean by transcode.

Uli Plank

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 12:50 am

Transcode means converting to another codec, like DNxHR or Cineform.

videoopp

PostWed Feb 16, 2022 4:14 pm

I have been getting this error o lot lately as well. I am on an iMac M1. I was getting it primarily on clips that had a fusion Delta Keyer applied. I could take the same clip without the fusion effect and it would play fine without the error. This confirmed that was not "Off-Line" as the message said, but for some reason, "Not able to Play" even as a"stuttering clip".

Here are some things that I did in my troubleshooting process.

1. Switched the file to my fastest SSD external drive (rated at 1050Mb/s)
2. Increased the Fusion Memory usage (Davinci Resolve/Preferences/Memory and GPU)

I believe that both of these helped but I was still getting the "Offline" message. When I changed to timeline Proxy mode to half resolution, The Error message went away and I was able to edit.

But, I believe what was really causing my problem, and it is something you should check, my clip turned out to be a different frame rate than the project setting. Davinci was struggling to transcode the clip to the project frame rate on top of the fusion effect. Once I started a new project with the correct frame rate, the problem was solved and I can play my clip, even with timeline proxy mode off.

A rooky mistake I know. From now on, I will always check project settings first!

I wish that BM could send a more appropriate message for this type of issue. Something like "Unable to Play your clip. Check project settings or use proxy mode." This would reduce troubleshooting time significantly. Instead of going down the rabbit hole of bad disks, connection issues, disk speed issues, etc, we could concentrate on our settings.

Hope that helps!
Macbook Pro M1 Max, 64G, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5B Build 31

videoopp

PostWed Feb 16, 2022 4:25 pm

OK, now I am really confounded. My clip plays fine when I first put it on the time line, even with the fusion keyer, but once the clip is cached and turns blue at the top, that portion goes "Media offline". Up until recently, it was the cached blue portion that always played with no dropped frames. What has changed? Is this something that I have done in my Optimized Media and Render Cache settings? I have it set to ProRes 422. That should be native for Mac, right?

Version 17.4.4 Build 7
Macbook Pro M1 Max, 64G, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5B Build 31
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve