MacOS or Windows, M1 or MBP 2019 & why?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

AdelAntabli

MacOS or Windows, M1 or MBP 2019 & why?

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 9:43 am

A few questions to the tech heads and electronic whizzes that inhabit the MacOS world as well as those who have knowledge of both Windows and MacOS (questions reside in a realm where money isn't a constraint):

- MacOS or Windows for Davinci resolve & Fusion, and why?
- If you were to use a mobile workstation (Laptop), what would your set up be?
- What are your thoughts on the new M1 processor in regards to Davinci resolve & Fusion?
- If you were in the situation: Would you decide for a Macbook 16 2020, Full spec, or wait for the M1 release and why?

Excuse the possible ignorance and naivety that i might be blind to; I don't understand why there are no easy answers for such questions online, I would like to know what operating system works better, especially if I am constantly investing into my development. The other questions have been research, and i do have an understanding of the infrastructure that governs a computer system; It seems that in regards to the MacOS world, I am but a grasshopper.

Appreciation is due, if you've taken the time to answer, I hope others can benefit from this post as much as I.

Uli Plank

Re: MacOS or Windows, M1 or MBP 2019 & why?

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 3:30 pm

If you want to stick to MacOS, wait for the next generation of M1. The current 16” MBP is overpriced, underpowered and soon outdated. The next one will be a killer.
Apace from that, MacOS or Windows doesn’t really matter if the configuration is good ad you can get a lot of power on you desktop with a PC.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

robedge

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 10:41 pm

To add to Uli's comment, there is a long thread here about M1 performance: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=126125

Apple analysts think that the new 16" MacBook Pro will be released in Q1 or Q2. Note that Apple's biggest annual event - the Worldwide Developer Conference - will be in June.

Your post doesn't say what kind of videos you plan to make or what resolution, codec and codec flavour you plan to use, which have a bearing on how powerful a computer you need.
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices

Uli Plank

PostWed Mar 03, 2021 1:05 am

Absolutely! First define the purpose, then the tool.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

YesThatGuy

PostSun Mar 07, 2021 3:03 pm

I needed something decent and quickly to get started with video production.

I've honestly been blown away by the M1 Macbook Air that I bought. It does the video editing ridiculously smoothly while getting all-day battery and not warming up at all. Not a big fan of OSX but this thing is amazing!

I suggest buying any of the M1 based chips and using it for a week so you can return it. I did exactly this and I'm keeping this little guy!

The later M1X/M2 based MBP expected to come out this summer may well be 50% faster so keep that in mind. Me, I'm happy with the MB Air.

Uli Plank

PostMon Mar 08, 2021 3:58 am

To those who don't need one right now: the next MBP might a have a few more options, like a stronger GPU, more RAM if Fusion matters to you, possibly a great screen with micro LEDs.
And then, it may support more than one external screen and have more ports. Apart from that, I'm impressed what my wife's new MBP Air with only 8 GB RAM can do with DR (if she is letting me try on rare occasions). As a graphics designer, she just hung a large screen to it and she's blown away. I'm afraid she loves it more than me now ;-)

Ellory Yu

PostMon Mar 08, 2021 5:46 am

Uli Plank wrote:To those who don't need one right now: the next MBP might a have a few more options, like a stronger GPU, more RAM if Fusion matters to you, possibly a great screen with micro LEDs.
And then, it may support more than one external screen and have more ports. Apart from that, I'm impressed what my wife's new MBP Air with only 8 GB RAM can do with DR (if she is letting me try on rare occasions). As a graphics designer, she just hung a large screen to it and she's blown away. I'm afraid she loves it more than me now ;-)

I hope that there will be a powerful Mac mini m1x as well. That will do it for me. I don’t need an IMac.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Uli Plank

PostMon Mar 08, 2021 6:13 am

Well, as much as I can understand you, judging from the innovation cycles until now a Mac mini MX1 may come pretty late.

AdelAntabli

PostSat Mar 13, 2021 7:28 pm

I'd like to start this reply of with thanking everyone who has taken the time to share their thoughts on what i have requested assistance for.

I mostly use after effects and premiere currently, I color grade and edit on resolve, It really depends on the type of project I am working on. I still have yet to check out fusion!

I will be reading that Post robedge Shared.

I would want to be able to edit and grade 1080p (minimum) projects which would be importing all sorts of footage/codecs, I tend to work with my Sony A7iii which uses XAVC S , However I hardly use this camera with resolve at the moment; I would like to use resolve as my native editing software due to the color capabilities and tools.

When working on other projects that would use more advanced cinema cameras such as the Arri M or any of the red Series (Not my choice) or even blackmagic's own kit, I'd like to be able to work on these rushes, color grade them, apply relevant FX and then deliver back to the client with ease. I'm lucky that I work from home at the moment, I use a custom built Windows desktop for most of my work; when lock-down eases, I'd be required to travel for work (nationally and internationally), So having a laptop makes a lot more sense. The reason I am choosing MacOS is due to the industry and my surroundings already having that as the standard, supposedly said to be due to reliability, but i am unsure of whether that is true or not.

Again, I thank everyone who has shared there side on the matter. I wish to further learn and understand that of which i do not know :)

Uli Plank

PostTue Mar 16, 2021 2:23 am

Better reliability of Macs is a proven fact for me, having supervised three student labs over nearly 20 years with a mix of Mac and PC. The maintenance hours on the Macs were considerably lower. This was not due to any superiority of the hardware (Intel all over) or the OS, but the single source ecosystem introducing far fewer variables to go wrong.

But if the FX you need in Resolve are time based, like temporal NR or optical flow, or 'neural', like SuperScale or good de-interlacing, I'd definitely wait for the next round. Even if Arri RAW (not very demanding anyway) and R3D (scales very well) work nicely with a few grading nodes on the current models.

Return to Post Production