Camera lenses for BMPCC 6k and Pro

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

NextLoci

PostTue Mar 09, 2021 2:52 pm

Which camera lenses do you recommend for the
Pocket Cinema Camera 6K and Pro? For a start, I was thinking of the Tamron SP 24-70 mm 1: 2.8 Di VC USD G2.

Matthew_Lawrence

Re: Camera lenses for BMPCC 6k and Pro

PostTue Mar 09, 2021 4:27 pm

I really like the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8.

I'm on the fence about getting the Sigma 50-100 F1.8 to compliment it, but I'm not sure about the size and weight and whether I'd need to have a lens support.

Paul Jonathan

PostTue Mar 09, 2021 10:56 pm

This might be slightly off-topic but with the 6K Pro I finally made the jump to PL because I was sick and tired of the lens moving when using an external follow focus. I was able to pick up a used Wooden Camera PL Mount modification on Ebay for around 300 bucks and it opens up a whole new world of beautiful Super35 cinema glass, both old and new (: Feel like really makes the camera feel 'Pro'

timbutt2

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 12:11 am

I have the Sigma Art 18-35mm f1.8 lens, and it's fine. As well, I have the Sigma Art 50-100mm f1.8. I also have the Rokinon Cinema Lenses, and the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8.

However, my new favorite cinema lenses have become the DZOFilm Pictor Zooms and Vespid Primes. I can't use the Vespid Primes on the Pocket 6K until I get the PL Modification for the 6K, but since the Pictor Zooms can be changed from PL to EF I have used them on the Pocket 6K. I really like the images I get out of it.

Those are some options for what I have. Likely I'll be selling my Rokinon Cinema Lenses in the future. And, I am using those Sigma lenses far less.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

focuspulling

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 4:14 am

Got my BMPCC6K Pro today, and thrilled to find that the killer trifecta of Tamron lenses -- 15-30mm f/2.8 G2, 24-70mm f/2.8 G2, & 45mm f/1.8 prime -- are fully controllable in all three categories of: (one-touch-auto-)focus, aperture, and VC image stabilization. What a huge relief, and what a perfect match for this camera that's probably the last hurrah for EF mount worldwide. Since it doesn't have I.B.I.S., these VC-stabilized lenses stand apart, especially at 15-30mm and 45mm.
Paul Moon | FocusPulling (.com) | On the art & technology of filmmaking
www.focuspulling.com | facebook.com/focuspulling | @focuspulling

rick.lang

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 6:03 am

Excellente.
Rick Lang

Paul Jonathan

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 10:53 am

timbutt2 wrote:However, my new favorite cinema lenses have become the DZOFilm Pictor Zooms and Vespid Primes. I can't use the Vespid Primes on the Pocket 6K until I get the PL Modification for the 6K, but since the Pictor Zooms can be changed from PL to EF I have used them on the Pocket 6K. I really like the images I get out of it.

Used the 6K Pro with the PL-conversion and DZOFilm Pictor 20-55 last week and yesterday. It's really a great match and I would recommend PL over EF to avoid any focus shifts. Thinking of perhaps buying the 20-55mm however I find it slightly too large for handheld, bolex style EVF shooting. I know the 20-55 is already quite compact in terms of PL-Zooms, but was wondering if anyone here had other recommendations for compact PL-Zooms?

rick.lang

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 12:20 pm

I use the Tokina Cinema-ATX 11-20mm T2.9 PL on both the URSA Mini 4.6K and the BMPCC4K. Since the BMPCC6K/Pro fits in between these sensors, should be a useful zoom.

Tokina has longer zooms of course.
Rick Lang

CdnStache

PostSat Mar 13, 2021 8:37 am

focuspulling wrote:Got my BMPCC6K Pro today, and thrilled to find that the killer trifecta of Tamron lenses -- 15-30mm f/2.8 G2, 24-70mm f/2.8 G2, & 45mm f/1.8 prime -- are fully controllable in all three categories of: (one-touch-auto-)focus, aperture, and VC image stabilization. What a huge relief, and what a perfect match for this camera that's probably the last hurrah for EF mount worldwide. Since it doesn't have I.B.I.S., these VC-stabilized lenses stand apart, especially at 15-30mm and 45mm.

Thank you for this. I’ve been looking for lenses that have image stabilization for the 6k pro and I think these Tamrons will work.

Jay Soriano

PostMon Mar 15, 2021 2:23 pm

focuspulling wrote:Got my BMPCC6K Pro today, and thrilled to find that the killer trifecta of Tamron lenses -- 15-30mm f/2.8 G2, 24-70mm f/2.8 G2, & 45mm f/1.8 prime -- are fully controllable in all three categories of: (one-touch-auto-)focus, aperture, and VC image stabilization. What a huge relief, and what a perfect match for this camera that's probably the last hurrah for EF mount worldwide. Since it doesn't have I.B.I.S., these VC-stabilized lenses stand apart, especially at 15-30mm and 45mm.

Looking for a run n gun lens with IS for the 6K Pro. Like your trifecta. How does the Tamron 15-30mm 2.8 VC compare with:

Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS

Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 OS

Also if modding with a PL mount any suggestions with IS?

Thank you.
2015 15" Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz i7
macOS Mojave 10.14.6
AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB
16GB RAM
FCPX/DaVinci Resolve Studio
Akitio Thunder2 Quad Mini
Envoy Pro EX

carlomacchiavello

PostMon Mar 15, 2021 6:56 pm

Canon 17-55 2.8 is work fine stabilisation

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

focuspulling

PostMon Mar 15, 2021 7:00 pm

Jay Soriano wrote:

Looking for a run n gun lens with IS for the 6K Pro. Like your trifecta. How does the Tamron 15-30mm 2.8 VC compare with:

Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS

Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 OS

Also if modding with a PL mount any suggestions with IS?

Thank you.

Well, that extra 2mm is especially valuable on the low end, so that's why the Tamron is king for me. And since I pair it with the 24-70mm f/2.8 G2, I don't need/don't want the 50/55mm reach of the alternatives. I also like that the Tamron zooms internally without a protruding lens barrel.

What all of these lenses have in common, is substantial heft. I can appreciate the shift to RF mount, especially since that always adds another control ring for things like aperture.

To my knowledge, there is no way to preserve lens IS on a PL mount because it is not an active electrical connection. Am I wrong about that?

Paul Jonathan

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 1:35 am

Has anyone here used the Red Pro 17-50 with a Wooden PL Mount modification on a 6K or 6K Pro? Seems like the only PL-Mount option that is more compact than the DZOFilm 17-55.

John Brawley

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 2:19 am

Paul Jonathan wrote:Has anyone here used the Red Pro 17-50 with a Wooden PL Mount modification on a 6K or 6K Pro? Seems like the only PL-Mount option that is more compact than the DZOFilm 17-55.

There's a Century (Canon) 17-35 that's even smaller and lighter, but they're hard to come by these days.https://www.camtec.tv/century-1735

The RED PRO is a surprisingly nice lens optically, but I seem to recall they need servicing regularly. Back when I worked at a rental company we had six of them and usually any two of them would be out of service. I think they weren't that well made.

Cooke also make a delicious 15-40 T2 that's awesome, but you never see them around. Also $$$$
https://www.ducloslenses.com/products/cooke1540cxx

It wasn't small, but it was lightweight for what it was. I used it on Steadicam a lot along with the Century 17-35 and the Red Pro. I ended up liking the Century a lot.

Can't say if any of them work on the WC mod, though a lot of other Cooke lenses do.....

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Paul Jonathan

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 2:56 am

John, once again thanks for the super in-depth reply! Also appreciate the info about the other lenses, but yeah waaaay out of my budget unfortunately :) but good to know for rentals!

Regarding the mechanical problems of the RED Zoom, are you talking about the 18-50 or the newer 17-50? I did some research online, and it seems the earlier 18-50 was indeed plagued by frequent mechanical problems, but I haven't found any reports except for yours that this is also true for the 17-50.

Will head over to a rental place tomorrow to try out if the 17-50 fits the WC kit.. Should we perhaps start a lens compatibility chart for the PL modification? The list on their website is really limited and their support repeatedly refused to say which lenses are not compatible, which I remember they did in the past.

While I couldn't find exact measurements of the 17-50, RED does list a chart of their Motion Mount cavity and lists the 17-50 as a compatible lens. Overlaying that image with the drawing on the WC website seems like it should be a tight fit. So anyway, will need to physically verify. Image
Last edited by Paul Jonathan on Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Brawley

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 2:58 am

Paul Jonathan wrote:John, once again thanks for the super in-depth reply! Also appreciate the info about the other lenses, but yeah waaaay out of my budget unfortunately :) but good to know for rentals!

Regarding the mechanical problems of the RED Zoom, are you talking about the 18-50 or the newer 17-50? I did some research online, and it seems the earlier 18-50 was indeed plagued by frequent mechanical problems, but I haven't found any reports except for yours that this is also true for the 17-50.

Will head over to a rental place tomorrow to try out if the 17-50 fits the WC kit.. Should we perhaps start a lens compatibility chart for the PL modification? The list on their website is really limited and their support repeatedly refused to say which lenses are not compatible, which I remember they did in the past.

You may be right about it being the 17-50 that had problems. There was also a companion longer zoom that didn't seem to have as many issues.

I think there's a lot more lenses that "work" with the mod, they just haven't updated the list. My SLR Magic APOS and Microprimes for one....

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Paul Jonathan

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 3:02 am

John Brawley wrote: You may be right about it being the 17-50 that had problems.

Sorry to be nitpicking here - do you mean the 17-50 (newer, updated version) or the 18-50 (older design)?

Thanks for the info about those other lenses! Tested the DZOFilm 20-55 last week, which also fit without issues, however it was a little too big for the Bolex-style handheld shooting through the EVF. That's why I started looking into other PL alternatives in that range.

John Brawley

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 3:38 am

Sorry yes, I meant the 18-50.

There always the much loathed Sigma ? Available in PL if it makes you feel any better.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Jamie LeJeune

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 7:28 am

John Brawley wrote:My SLR Magic APOS and Microprimes for one....
Have SLR Magic released the APO Microprime CINE lenses in PL mount? I've been hoping they would do that but I haven't seen that published anywhere.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Paul Jonathan

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 7:44 am

Check their Instagram. I don't think they are officially for sale yet (at least in Europe). Pricing is quite a bit higher, which for PL is expected but I was kind of hoping for these to compete with Meike and DZOfilm Vespids. One can dream..

Paul Jonathan

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 7:46 am

John Brawley wrote:Sorry yes, I meant the 18-50.

There always the much loathed Sigma ? Available in PL if it makes you feel any better.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Haha yes, the Sigma is kind of where I started out. But it's a beast, even chunkier than the DZOFilm Pictor, unless I am looking at conversions and a lot of those seem to have mechanical issues as well. On top the focus breathing is really significant and I have yet to encounter a copy that's parfocal (no surprise, photo optics after all).

musashie

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 1:52 pm

Matthew_Lawrence wrote:I really like the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8.

I'm on the fence about getting the Sigma 50-100 F1.8 to compliment it, but I'm not sure about the size and weight and whether I'd need to have a lens support.

I have both. The 50-100mm is a beast. You would definitely need support. I need to calibrate my 50-100mm. The thing has not focused correctly of late. need

Paul Jonathan

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 3:32 pm

So I tested the RED 17-50 at a rental this morning - all good - and then found a cheap offer online and purchased it. It's not my absolute dream lens but it's definitely going to come in handy as a kit lens and feels very comfortable for handheld shooting, almost the size of CP.2 Compact Prime, and that's the most important thing about that setup for me.

jonstatt

PostSat Mar 20, 2021 11:55 am

Just a tip, particularly with Sigma and Tamron lenses that you should also get the USB pucks to customise them for image stabilisation. With BM cameras the stabilisation functions as if in viewfinder mode. With these lenses they don't achieve full stabilisation in viewfinder mode unless you enable the custom programming feature of the lens. The Sigma 150-600mm has nearly no stabilisation at all if you don't do this.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

focuspulling

PostSat Mar 20, 2021 6:03 pm

jonstatt wrote:Just a tip, particularly with Sigma and Tamron lenses that you should also get the USB pucks to customise them for image stabilisation. With BM cameras the stabilisation functions as if in viewfinder mode. With these lenses they don't achieve full stabilisation in viewfinder mode unless you enable the custom programming feature of the lens. The Sigma 150-600mm has nearly no stabilisation at all if you don't do this.

Can you elaborate on this? I have the killer duo of 15-30mm & 24-70mm G2 lenses, and while I own the dock, those EF-mount lenses are technically compatible -- https://www.tamron.co.jp/software/en/tapin/help/lens -- but haven't received any updates relevant to the BMPCC6K products -- https://www.tamron.jp/en/support/release_note.html (only for the Canon R5/R6).

Are you saying that apart from firmware updates, we need to choose the mode that is not Standard (striking a balance), not Viewfinder Priority, but Prioritize Stabilization, as described at
? I can't say that VC doesn't work on my Tamrons, but you're suggesting it could be better.

jonstatt

PostSat Mar 20, 2021 6:43 pm

All image stabilised lenses have two modes of operation and you need to think of it in relationto a DSLR. Stabilisation as seen through a camera viewfinder when you are composing a shot. And the Stabilisation you get when you press the shutter button to take a picture. Stabilisation on some lenses are weaker when in viewfinder mode Aooarently this because the mechanism can't react as well when then taking the shot.

On BM cameras, from my experience, never set the lens to shot mode. Therefore they are permanently in viewfinder mode. If you Dock the 24-70 and load up the Tamron software, under one of the tabs will be a setting to change the stabilisation. The software does not just update firmware.

The Sigma 150-600 is a fascinating lens because it is almost perfectly parfocal which is extraordinary considering its range. But if you just connect it to a BM camera you will think the stabilisation is broken because this lens has virtually no viewfinder mode stabilisation. However a bias can be set to viewfinder mode with the PC software.

If I missed a setting somewhere in a BM camera that puts the lens into shot mode, then all of this may not be needed.

focuspulling

PostSat Mar 20, 2021 6:58 pm

jonstatt wrote:All image stabilised lenses have two modes of operation and you need to think of it in relationto a DSLR. Stabilisation as seen through a camera viewfinder when you are composing a shot. And the Stabilisation you get when you press the shutter button to take a picture. Stabilisation on some lenses are weaker when in viewfinder mode Aooarently this because the mechanism can't react as well when then taking the shot.

On BM cameras, from my experience, never set the lens to shot mode. Therefore they are permanently in viewfinder mode. If you Dock the 24-70 and load up the Tamron software, under one of the tabs will be a setting to change the stabilisation. The software does not just update firmware.

The Sigma 150-600 is a fascinating lens because it is almost perfectly parfocal which is extraordinary considering its range. But if you just connect it to a BM camera you will think the stabilisation is broken because this lens has virtually no viewfinder mode stabilisation. However a bias can be set to viewfinder mode with the PC software.

If I missed a setting somewhere in a BM camera that puts the lens into shot mode, then all of this may not be needed.

You might have skimmed what I wrote. There are specific Tamron settings that don't match your terminology. Check again? If not, not your problem to begin with, I'll look around for help.

jonstatt

PostSat Mar 20, 2021 6:59 pm

focuspulling wrote:
jonstatt wrote:All image stabilised lenses have two modes of operation and you need to think of it in relationto a DSLR. Stabilisation as seen through a camera viewfinder when you are composing a shot. And the Stabilisation you get when you press the shutter button to take a picture. Stabilisation on some lenses are weaker when in viewfinder mode Aooarently this because the mechanism can't react as well when then taking the shot.

You might have skimmed what I wrote. There are specific Tamron settings that don't match your terminology. Check again? If not, not your problem to begin with, I'll look around for help.
Viewfinder priority should help. For some reason the first time I read your post I only saw the first paragraph.

focuspulling

PostSat Mar 20, 2021 11:47 pm

jonstatt wrote:
focuspulling wrote:

Viewfinder priority should help. For some reason the first time I read your post I only saw the first paragraph.

Thanks; I think you were so quick to the punch that you caught my post before I updated it in the next minute. It would have otherwise felt counter-intuitive to force the lenses into viewfinder priority, but I think I get the point: it's fundamentally about the difference between I.S. for still photography -- always the first priority for EF lenses -- and I.S. for video. And it looks like in Standard mode, Tamron splits the baby.

SarahMP

PostMon Apr 19, 2021 1:06 pm

Thats nice to hear. I am also thinking about getting the BMPCC 6k Pro (Switching from Sony a7iii) and 2 of the lenses I plan to get for the 6k Pro are Tamron lenses. (the SP 45mm f1.8 VC and the 85mm f1.8 VC)

Scott Stacy

PostMon May 17, 2021 2:24 am

I like my SLR Magic APO MicroPrime Cine Collection.
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
NVME M.2 Samsung 970 2TB (x4)
Resolve 17.4

SwissCH

PostMon May 17, 2021 9:48 am

How about IS on Canon 30mm F2 IS USM and the Canon 85mm 1.4 IS USM - does anyone use these two lenses with the BM 4k or 6K? Looking at this thread re Tamron IS adjustments makes me wonder how the two Canon EF lenses that I have will work with my 6K Pro when I receive it.

Lee Mackreath

PostMon May 17, 2021 1:59 pm

SwissCH wrote:How about IS on Canon 30mm F2 IS USM and the Canon 85mm 1.4 IS USM - does anyone use these two lenses with the BM 4k or 6K? Looking at this thread re Tamron IS adjustments makes me wonder how the two Canon EF lenses that I have will work with my 6K Pro when I receive it.

i dont know if you mean the canon 35mm f2 is?

if so I have this lens and the IS is great - actually sent back the sigma art 24-70 2.8 in favour of this lens!

focuspulling

PostMon May 17, 2021 3:41 pm

SarahMP wrote:

Thats nice to hear. I am also thinking about getting the BMPCC 6k Pro (Switching from Sony a7iii) and 2 of the lenses I plan to get for the 6k Pro are Tamron lenses. (the SP 45mm f1.8 VC and the 85mm f1.8 VC)

I just noticed, how strange that the 85mm was discontinued:

https://bhpho.to/3fn2OUx

And they didn't replace it with anything.

SwissCH

PostMon May 17, 2021 3:51 pm

Lee Mackreath wrote:
SwissCH wrote:How about IS on Canon 30mm F2 IS USM and the Canon 85mm 1.4 IS USM - does anyone use these two lenses with the BM 4k or 6K? Looking at this thread re Tamron IS adjustments makes me wonder how the two Canon EF lenses that I have will work with my 6K Pro when I receive it.

if so I have this lens and the IS is great - actually sent back the sigma art 24-70 2.8 in favour of this lens!

Thanks for picking me up on that type! Yes - Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM - very good to hear that the IS works great. Is there anything need to be set in the 6K Pro settings, or just set on lens and go? Hopefully the Canon EF 85mm f/1.4 IS USM IS works just as well.

Lee Mackreath

PostTue May 18, 2021 8:14 am

SwissCH wrote:
Lee Mackreath wrote:

Thanks for picking me up on that type! Yes - Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM - very good to hear that the IS works great. Is there anything need to be set in the 6K Pro settings, or just set on lens and go? Hopefully the Canon EF 85mm f/1.4 IS USM IS works just as well.

its just put the lens on and away you go there used to be an option in the menu to toggle image stabilisation on/off but that seems to have gone now? - as long as its switched to 'on' on the lens it works fine

here is a pic of the lens on my cam
Attachments
cam.jpg
cam.jpg (727.11 KiB) Viewed 3436 times

SwissCH

PostTue May 18, 2021 12:22 pm

its just put the lens on and away you go there used to be an option in the menu to toggle image stabilisation on/off but that seems to have gone now? - as long as its switched to 'on' on the lens it works fine

here is a pic of the lens on my cam[/quote]

Great news thanks! Good to see the Peak Design anchors too as that will be the first attachment when my camera is delivered this week.!

Return to Cinematography