laptop for editing

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

freddyel

laptop for editing

PostMon Mar 08, 2021 3:22 pm

hello

I m about to buy a new laptop but I'm a bit confused, first of all:

-there is difference in performance between AMD and Intel (of course for budget question series I7 10th gen)?
-then 3080, 3070 or 3060? I'm I right the 3060 is the lowest GPU between them?

I m looking for the new MSI serie 30 or ne new Asus Rog (don t know which one) my budget is 2000€, I edit and color mostly, but sometimes I put some effect on fusion, nothing of professional, but I use it

Can I have any suggestion by you, I'm open to other brands and configurations, but one compromise, I don t wanna do optimized media, and avoid if is possible the overheating

Uli Plank

Re: laptop for editing

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 4:46 am

All Intel or AMD laptops are a compromise, they all have difficulties getting rid of the heat they generate. They either trottle down or get very noisy (or both). And then, they eat batteries for breakfast or throttle down massively if not on mains.

If you desperately want a laptop, I'd consider one of the new Apple M1 machines.

If not, rather get a good desktop setup, you'll find tons of information around here and save money too.
Carsten Sellberg, for example, is very knowledgeable.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

freddyel

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 5:54 pm

Uli Plank wrote:All Intel or AMD laptops are a compromise, they all have difficulties getting rid of the heat they generate. They either trottle down or get very noisy (or both). And then, they eat batteries for breakfast or throttle down massively if not on mains.

If you desperately want a laptop, I'd consider one of the new Apple M1 machines.

If not, rather get a good desktop setup, you'll find tons of information around here and save money too.
Carsten Sellberg, for example, is very knowledgeable.

thanks for your answer, yes I defo need of a laptop cause I work around and then my worflow is not massive that a laptop cannot do, usually I edit video around 10min max but thousands of clip in the timeline, for this reason i would like something that at least contain the heat... I know is difficult but I put my hopes on the new series of MSI and ASUS.... will see

Uli Plank

PostSat Mar 13, 2021 1:21 am

It doesn’t depend on the length of your project or the number of clips. What matters is the codec of your clips and the resolution of your timeline. Don’t waste your money on a gamers PC, but have a look at the next M1 MacBook Pro 14”, due soon.
No, I’m not a fanboy, working with both systems on the job. Even for my personal use with DR I was close to getting a PC desktop, being frustrated by Apple’s price/performance ratio on Intel base. But the new machines are nothing short of impressive, my wife’s new MB Air M1 with only 8 GB can handle BRAW and R3D!
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Ellory Yu

PostSat Mar 13, 2021 4:32 am

I agree with Uli. If you’re on a budget for a laptop, go with the MacBook M1 maximum RAM and storage. You can’t go wrong with that. For desktop, Go with a Windows 10 64bit and discrete GPU like the 3080 or 3090... if you can find one for sale.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Steve Fishwick

PostSat Mar 13, 2021 3:17 pm

Uli Plank wrote:All Intel or AMD laptops are a compromise, they all have difficulties getting rid of the heat they generate. They either trottle down or get very noisy (or both). And then, they eat batteries for breakfast or throttle down massively if not on mains.

As an alternative perspective, this is not my experience of enterprise workstation laptops, nor is the experience of several busy editor friends working on powerful gaming laptops. I moved to exclusively working on laptops some 5 years ago, for a variety of professional case reasons, though I happily online and offline with both Avid and DVR up to UHD/4K. The HP ZBook 17 G5 I have neither has difficulty getting rid of heat, never throttles down or gets noisy, even though an Avid Artist mix sits on it's keyboard (I use a an Avid keyboard) and it has a Quadro P5200 16GB graphics card with 64GB ram and more than one internal drive. Even though it's a couple of generations long in the tooth now, there is nothing I've come across yet that it can't handle in both programmes. The key often is in properly tweaking the bios, which is very powerful in all HP workstations and clean maintenance.

There should be nothing remarkable in working with Braw and R3D and they are a breeze with this laptop too. There is so much hallabaloo about the M1 that everyone fails to mention the elephant in the room, how they slow down markedly when you start piling on the grading nodes and fx. I don't know of any major post grading house using them at the moment, yet I can happily do that kind of broadcast work on this laptop linked to an Ultrastudio 4K Mini and a pro grading monitor.

No argument with the statement that a powerful desktop is the ultimate but the OP has stated he needs a laptop not a desktop and as I said there may be many case uses why it's preferable or even necessary, from DIT to mobile and remote working. and why they can happily work too.

I should add too - no problems with batteries for which HP has released very comprehensive bios conditioning, though obviously it operates on mains - portable does not have to mean battery portable.

freddyel

PostSat Mar 13, 2021 6:19 pm

ok thanks guys I'm gonna think about the MB M1 I just found out the price is not so high actually, so maybe I can seriously think to buy the new 16" cause 13" for editing is so small, yeah maybe the moment to swith to apple is arrived.... let's see

freddyel

PostSat Mar 13, 2021 7:18 pm

ok guys I wa about to say yes let's go for mac...but I saw some test with davinciresolve and the mac still making me laugh.... I will go defo for a gaming laptop, thanks you all

Uli Plank

PostSun Mar 14, 2021 1:29 am

All correct, Steve, but he mentioned a budget of 2K…

Ellory Yu

PostSun Mar 14, 2021 8:29 am

Uli Plank wrote:All correct, Steve, but he mentioned a budget of 2K…

Exactly. The HP laptop you are using is not near the ballpark of 2K.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

freddyel

PostSun Mar 14, 2021 1:38 pm

I'm thinking to go for XMG, already told me in another forum, and I can completly customize it even the screen, so I ll take that, thanks people

Steve Fishwick

PostFri Mar 19, 2021 4:29 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:Exactly. The HP laptop you are using is not near the ballpark of 2K.

The laptop actually cost £2100 new direct from HP. The P5200 was an upgrade but was a bargain new buy on ebay. The one I was using before was a much cheaper Lenovo multi media consumer i7 laptop and I did a lot of paid work on that. As I also said, colleagues of mine are using good gaming laptops without any of the problems mentioned, though not finishing work admittedly.

Return to Post Production