Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion? or Fusion in Davinci

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Stephen Buckley

Fusion? or Fusion in Davinci

PostSat Mar 20, 2021 7:18 pm

Umm...it was suggested that maybe I should try asking this question in Fusion, even though the problem I am having is when using Fusion in Davinci Resolve 17.1. I suppose this could be a problem across both versions of Fusion, but honestly don't know.

Anyways, the setup is I have an actress in front of an overexposed window. The correction plate is the same shot minus the actress and exposing for the exterior of the window. The traveling matte is necessary at times to allow the actress's hand with the phone to pass in front of the properly exposed window.

This first image is showing the Left viewport as the original overexposed window and the Right viewport shows the properly exposed window.
BMcorrect.jpg
BMcorrect.jpg (184.01 KiB) Viewed 1040 times

However, this second image shows what I encounter a few frames later. The Right viewport looks exactly like the Left viewport as if nothing was done to it.
BMbad.jpg
BMbad.jpg (175.89 KiB) Viewed 1040 times

I usually, but not always, can fix this discrepancy by unchecking and then re-checking the Invert box in the MaskPaint tool panel on the far right. Unfortunately, the fix only works for several edits, before resorting back to looking as if no matte was applied.

FYI, I just realized I had an unnecessary Merge in there, but still the same problem even after bypassing the Merge1 node.

Also, as of late, when I try to do a Quick Export or a render of this section of the main timeline, it will render a little bit and then cease rendering. It won't crash, the remaining time will just continue to increase in time. When I press to Cancel or abort, nothing happens. I have to Cntrl/Alt/Del to terminate Resolve.

Please advise.
Davinci Resolve Studio 18 - Windows 10 Pro - DELL 7910 Intel Xeon E5v3 @ 2.60GHz 12-core Tower Workstation with 96GB ram - GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 TI - 1300w PSU

Chad Capeland

Re: Fusion? or Fusion in Davinci

PostSat Mar 20, 2021 10:55 pm

Does it fix itself if you save, close, and reopen the comp? If so... MaskPaint and Paint both do that in rare cases. It's a bug that has been around for a long time. As to what to do about it? If you have a file that can consistently reproduce it, share it, as it's a pretty tough one to reproduce.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Stephen Buckley

PostMon Mar 22, 2021 8:17 pm

Saving, closing and reopening doesn't seem to do anything. I find that I have to go into Fusion to start over clicking Invert again.

I feel like it might be a memory issue (eventhough I have 128gb). I'm going to try to cut the shot down to only a second instead of 15sec. Atleast that could determine if that is an issue.
Davinci Resolve Studio 18 - Windows 10 Pro - DELL 7910 Intel Xeon E5v3 @ 2.60GHz 12-core Tower Workstation with 96GB ram - GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 TI - 1300w PSU

Chad Capeland

PostMon Mar 22, 2021 8:35 pm

Fantastic. Post the file as well as emailing it to support.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

wfolta

PostTue Mar 23, 2021 12:47 pm

Just as a side note, not sure why you have two Merges. You could put your replacement window into the green port (FG) of a Merge, put your mask into the blue port, and put the BG into the orange (BG) port. Not sure that you'd come out with a different result at all, but fewer nodes is fewer opportunities for bugs.
Resolve Studio 17 latest, Fusion Studio 17 latest, macOS Big Sur latest, MacBook Pro 2020 64GB RAM and Radeon Pro 5600M 8GB VRAM

Stephen Buckley

PostSat Apr 03, 2021 9:32 pm

wfolta wrote:Just as a side note, not sure why you have two Merges

Yeah, I believe I had some other node between and never removed the redundant. That being said, removing or disabling one of the merge nodes did NOT make a difference. I wished it was that simple.

I did attempt to eliminate the rest of the project and just deal with the image and it seems to provide more frames that would stay corrected. But I still had to manually switch on and off the Invert. I then prerendered just that clip and then rendered the entire project with the prerendered clip.

I am simply done with this issue. Thank you all.

Return to Fusion