P6kPro monitor issue

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

jonstatt

Re: P6kPro monitor issue

PostTue Mar 16, 2021 6:34 am

WahWay wrote:All my other BMD cameras and video assists has been a sorry mess of colour casts, mostly green and one red/magenta. My Pocket 6K Pro is the only one with a perfect colour balance but going by reports from other owners I might be the few exceptions.
If you do have a copy were the screen is pefect its very easy to judge the colour shift caused by the internal NDs just by looking at the camera HDR screen without having to load the file into post. I find it equal to my grading monitor albeit a lot smaller.
Let's hope a firmware update doesn't mess yours up while fixing others. The only way out of this is to provide a self calibration option.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
Last edited by jonstatt on Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robert Niessner

PostTue Mar 16, 2021 7:12 am

Ian Henderson wrote:I almost burst out laughing when I turned it on. The screen literally looks like it has a sheet of cyan film over the top. I couldn't believe it. It is an absolute mess. Basically, if you haven't had first hand experience of it you wouldn't believe it.... how this got through QC I don't know. Blackmagic have had some clangers, but this is doing them absolutely no favours. And this is coming from a real fan - we shoot all our stuff on them, and I love the company and its products.

They should really reconsider better QC management in their production facilities. Can't believe that this happening again after the green Video Assist of the first Gen and color casts on the second Gen.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

WahWay

PostTue Mar 16, 2021 8:00 am

jonstatt wrote:
WahWay wrote:All my other BMD cameras and video assists has been a sorry mess of colour casts, mostly green and one red/magenta. My Pocket 6K Pro is the only one with a perfect colour balance but going by reports from other owners I might be the few exceptions.
If you do have a copy were the screen is pefect its very easy to judge the colour shift caused by the internal NDs just by looking at the camera HDR screen without having to load the file into post. I find it equal to my grading monitor albeit a lot smaller.
Let's hope a firmware update doesn't mess yours up while fixing others. The only way out of this is to provide a scrre calibration option.

I think that is probably what is going to happen according to the reply a customer had from BMD. The severity of the blue tint differs from one camera to another. To avoid a lengthy product recall were each undividual cameras has to be calibrated seperately, an in camera calibration feature would be the answer.

Dan Turmik

PostTue Mar 16, 2021 8:24 am

same here...
hope they fix this fast.. that colorcast is a joke

Drew_69

PostTue Mar 16, 2021 3:47 pm

Sent mine back! Will either get the original 6K which I absolutely loved or, look at Z Cam.

P.S I was I believe the first person in the UK to report the issue to my dealer Pro AV end of February. Seems like a long time to come up with a firmware fix especially as BM deemed it a "priority" status fix.

WahWay

PostTue Mar 16, 2021 4:44 pm

Drew_69 wrote:Sent mine back! Will either get the original 6K which I absolutely loved or, look at Z Cam.

P.S I was I believe the first person in the UK to report the issue to my dealer Pro AV end of February. Seems like a long time to come up with a firmware fix especially as BM deemed it a "priority" status fix.

Are you Andrew Reid of EOSHD?

Olivier Burri

PostTue Mar 16, 2021 5:43 pm

Same blue tint.
Agree it seems a joke, very unprofessional QC to say the least.

But BMD is no stranger to bad QC. I was confronted last year with strange LCD problems on a top of the line UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3 and BMD support was rude and of no real help.

They generally try to keep tight prices but unfortunately save on QC and support.

Dunno how they gonna get out of this mess this time....
Olivier G. Burri

Lee Mackreath

PostTue Mar 16, 2021 7:26 pm

Got my Pro today.. any such tint is not that obvious to me if I am honest.

What I did find is that my shots seems exposed correctly on screen with the extended lut applied.. but according to the false colour I was under exposing... when I then exposed for skin tones using the false colour.. and going back to. Or al view my footage looked a stop or over overexposed??

In resolve however the footage did look fine?... so don’t know if this is another screen issue?.. I had brightness on 50 %

In terms of everything else love the camera.. bigger than my 4K but you forget the difference very quickly. I would say it’s still quite light but heavy enough to add some stabilisation to footage.

Have the evf and grip too so any questions you have let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jamie LeJeune

PostTue Mar 16, 2021 11:30 pm

Lee Mackreath wrote: What I did find is that my shots seems exposed correctly on screen with the extended lut applied.. but according to the false colour I was under exposing... when I then exposed for skin tones using the false colour.. and going back to. Or al view my footage looked a stop or over overexposed??

In resolve however the footage did look fine?... so don’t know if this is another screen issue?.. I had brightness on 50 %
It's a 1500 nit LCD screen. The backlight is super bright. It's designed so that you can frame + focus + see the touchscreen menu in bright daylight. It's not an exposure tool, especially for the shadows.

I carry a reference display to set. It's 120 nits max. Even indoors it looks dim. The reference luminance for REC709 is only 100nits. It's useless outdoors.
Ever try to view an accurately REC709 calibrated screen in full sunlight? You can't see a damn thing.
Ever see "video village" on a set? It's always in a tent or inside a trailer for a reason

We can have an LCD display that matches REC709 levels or we can have an LCD that we'll be able to see in daylight. Having both is physically not possible.

The LCD screen on any camera is not an accurate exposure tool. Never has been. That's why cameras have always had exposure tools like zebras and (more recently on some cameras) waveforms. False color is a much easier to use and more detailed exposure tool than either waveforms or zebras, and it's great that BMD has put it on their cameras.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

WahWay

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 7:28 am

Lee Mackreath wrote:Got my Pro today.. any such tint is not that obvious to me if I am honest.

What I did find is that my shots seems exposed correctly on screen with the extended lut applied.. but according to the false colour I was under exposing... when I then exposed for skin tones using the false colour.. and going back to. Or al view my footage looked a stop or over overexposed??

In terms of everything else love the camera.. bigger than my 4K but you forget the difference very quickly. I would say it’s still quite light but heavy enough to add some stabilisation to footage.

Have the evf and grip too so any questions you have let me know!

Maybe you have a tint free screen like me ;)
For indoor I lower the screen brightness to 5% to match what I was recording.

Lee Mackreath

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 7:31 am

Jamie LeJeune wrote:
Lee Mackreath wrote: What I did find is that my shots seems exposed correctly on screen with the extended lut applied.. but according to the false colour I was under exposing... when I then exposed for skin tones using the false colour.. and going back to. Or al view my footage looked a stop or over overexposed??

It's a 1500 nit LCD screen. The backlight is super bright. It's designed so that you can frame + focus + see the touchscreen menu in bright daylight. It's not an exposure tool, especially for the shadows.

I carry a reference display to set. It's 120 nits max. Even indoors it looks dim. The reference luminance for REC709 is only 100nits. It's useless outdoors.
Ever try to view an accurately REC709 calibrated screen in full sunlight? You can't see a damn thing.
Ever see "video village" on a set? It's always in a tent or inside a trailer for a reason

We can have an LCD display that matches REC709 levels or we can have an LCD that we'll be able to see in daylight. Having both is physically not possible.

The LCD screen on any camera is not an accurate exposure tool. Never has been. That's why cameras have always had exposure tools like zebras and (more recently on some cameras) waveforms. False color is a much easier to use and more detailed exposure tool than either waveforms or zebras, and it's great that BMD has put it on their cameras.
It was odd though.. I was filming my daughter and I couldn’t expose her skin properly.. even with false colour.. nothing on her face was showing up the required pink.. it was either green or light grey... always quickly nailed this easily with my 4K!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mekkes82

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 10:53 am

Regarding the false colors. They are definetely different compared to my Pocket 4K. Much less saturated. Have the same problem, not being able to clearly see skin tones pink or differentiate it from light grey. Does anybody else noticed that?

Pocket 4k False Colors
IMG_1063 klein.jpg
Pocket 4K False Colors
IMG_1063 klein.jpg (229.11 KiB) Viewed 9674 times

Pocket 6K Pro False Colors
IMG_1064 klein.jpg
Pocket 6K Pro False Colors
IMG_1064 klein.jpg (191.14 KiB) Viewed 9674 times

saisit

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 4:44 pm

I just received the 6k Pro with a blue tint on the screen... I don't know if I should wait for the firmware or retour the camera, knowing there's no stock in my country...

rick.lang

PostThu Mar 18, 2021 1:17 am

@mekkes82

That is odd in the your BMPCC6K Pro seems to have a higher exposure with pinks registered as light grey, but the green is more dominant as well when you would think the green would be moving to mid-grey. It’s like the dynamic range has changed significantly. Is this ProRes Video for the BMPCC6K Pro and BRAW Film for the first shot? That difference might be explained by codec settings.
Rick Lang

mekkes82

PostThu Mar 18, 2021 7:03 am

Both were set to BRAW. It’s just that the pink on the 6KPro seems to be less saturated compared to the 4K. Buts it’s manageable in real life.

Ryan Earl

PostThu Mar 18, 2021 1:20 pm

saisit wrote:I just received the 6k Pro with a blue tint on the screen... I don't know if I should wait for the firmware or retour the camera, knowing there's no stock in my country...

You have to do what you're comfortable with. You can ask yourself how it fits into your kit, and if it is your primary camera or if you're trying to include it along with others.

Where it seems to be the biggest issue is where someone has the Pocket 6K and GEN 4 color science then getting this Pocket 6K Pro with GEN 5 and a different screen tint, so there is added confusion on how they will match up. The NDs may be adding a tint that people are not used to or find to be a negative for them.

For me, I previously relied on (2) URSA Mini 4.6K with GEN 3 color and (2) Micro Cinema cameras for action and I felt like everything came together well as a kit. The Micro Cams don't have screens and the (2) URSA Mini's have two slightly different tints to them, blue and red. (Which I still own and have just used commercially, I didn't sell them to purchase the new cameras.)

If they don't fix it does it matter to you? For me, no, I'm riding it out holding on to my Pocket 6K Pro and I'm looking at how the URSA 12K with GEN 5 will intercut with it.

saisit

PostFri Mar 19, 2021 9:16 am

Ryan Earl wrote:
saisit wrote:I just received the 6k Pro with a blue tint on the screen... I don't know if I should wait for the firmware or retour the camera, knowing there's no stock in my country...

You have to do what you're comfortable with. You can ask yourself how it fits into your kit, and if it is your primary camera or if you're trying to include it along with others.

Where it seems to be the biggest issue is where someone has the Pocket 6K and GEN 4 color science then getting this Pocket 6K Pro with GEN 5 and a different screen tint, so there is added confusion on how they will match up. The NDs may be adding a tint that people are not used to or find to be a negative for them.

For me, I previously relied on (2) URSA Mini 4.6K with GEN 3 color and (2) Micro Cinema cameras for action and I felt like everything came together well as a kit. The Micro Cams don't have screens and the (2) URSA Mini's have two slightly different tints to them, blue and red. (Which I still own and have just used commercially, I didn't sell them to purchase the new cameras.)

If they don't fix it does it matter to you? For me, no, I'm riding it out holding on to my Pocket 6K Pro and I'm looking at how the URSA 12K with GEN 5 will intercut with it.

I finally returned my 6K Pro back because there was also some dead pixel on the screen and on the footages. So now I have to wait 4 to 6 weeks to get a remplacement unit. It's difficult to wait because I really enjoy this camera ! It will be my primary one and replace my old Canon 5DMKII.

SantenPlu

PostFri Mar 19, 2021 6:50 pm

Same Problem here.

Display has a strong green-cyan cast.

Can this be fixed by sending in the camera? How long does it take (i´m in germany)?
I need this camera in production!

The EVF is also very disappointing. Very low contrast, blacklevel is very high up to a middle grey!
I hope this can also be fixed and is not only a cheap display.
(I will start a separate thread for this issue).

dmalovic

PostSun Mar 21, 2021 11:59 am

I think the false color problem is directly related to the Blue screen tint problem, as the Pink false color appears normally on an external screen.

I do wonder about the brightness also, as the camera auto exposure always seems to look too bright, looking at the screen. But the histogram looks ok. Seems to me that I am properly exposed only when the histogram shows clipped shadows?

Robert Niessner

PostSun Mar 21, 2021 12:52 pm

SantenPlu wrote:The EVF is also very disappointing. Very low contrast, blacklevel is very high up to a middle grey!

Have you set the Display LUT for the EVF? Sounds like you are viewing the film log preview.

<Menu>> MONITOR >> VIEWFINDER >> Display 3D LUT => ON
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

SantenPlu

PostSun Mar 21, 2021 4:30 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:
SantenPlu wrote:The EVF is also very disappointing. Very low contrast, blacklevel is very high up to a middle grey!

Have you set the Display LUT for the EVF? Sounds like you are viewing the film log preview.

No, the viewfinder LUT is ON.
The viewfinder has very low contrast. Blacklevel is high. It´s either not calibrated or a very cheap display.

JacobSchuhle

PostMon Mar 22, 2021 7:39 am

Does anyone know if the 12g 5" video assist uses the same display? I'm having a very similar issue with mine!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=137559

Robert Niessner

PostMon Mar 22, 2021 10:29 am

SantenPlu wrote:
Robert Niessner wrote:

The viewfinder has very low contrast. Blacklevel is high. It´s either not calibrated or a very cheap display.

As it is OLED which do have deep blacks this can't be a very cheap display. So there must be another reason. Sorry, but I do not have the EVF myself so can't experiment with the settings and help here.
Maybe someone how got the EVF can chime in with any idea?

Otherwise it would be best to contact support asap.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Ryan Earl

PostMon Mar 22, 2021 3:09 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:Maybe someone how got the EVF can chime in with any idea?

The viewfinder has a brightness control, a focus chart and a smooth motion toggle in the menu.

The focus chart could be helpful to see what the black level looks like at different brightness settings as well as adjusting for your eyes.

I have smooth motion turned off BTW.

daletidy

PostTue Mar 23, 2021 8:30 am

I also have an insane blue cast on my monitor. I tested it outside in the sun. I had to push my white balance to 10000 for the screen to look like regular Daylight on my old BMPCC 4K. Terrible QC.

Please hurry up Blackmagic and speak to us. Tell us if it's a firmware fix, self calibration, or full service recall/repair. Or even just tell us that you don't know. Just be transparent and honest, we will respect you more for it.

Robert Niessner

PostTue Mar 23, 2021 2:23 pm

daletidy wrote:Please hurry up Blackmagic and speak to us. Tell us if it's a firmware fix, self calibration, or full service recall/repair. Or even just tell us that you don't know. Just be transparent and honest, we will respect you more for it.

They have already spoken to us (if you would have cared to read the whole thread):
viewtopic.php?p=733685#p733685
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Casper75

PostTue Mar 23, 2021 11:10 pm

Here is my contribution to compare my new 6kpro screen VS quick time player screen ( macbook pro 2014) :

I hope they will fix it soooon

Dan Turmik

PostWed Mar 24, 2021 6:34 pm

BMs response to my support request regarding the monitor:

The PCC6K Pro LCD and EVF are intended as reference monitors and are not designed to be colour accurate, so they may not match perfectly to the colours in your scene.

We have informed our development team of the LCD tint some of our customers have been seeing and I can confirm that this is being addressed.

Currently I do not have a time scale for this but I have confirmation that it is being looked into.

Casper75

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 9:10 am

Don't worry, they will fix the problem

neasanmcbeer

Re: P6kPro monitor issue - Poor Connectors. Screen Brightnes

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 12:57 pm

I just got my 6KP about 2 weeks ago and I’ve babied it. It has been taken care of extremely well and yet tonight whilst out shooting, my screen brightness started flickering between 50-100%. I had it set to 50% and it would shift back and forth to 100%, when at 100% it wouldn’t allow me to change the brightness either. The slider would move but nothing would change. I figured out it was the strip connector at the back of the monitor, and when there was no tension the monitor would default to 100% brightness. Has this happened to anyone else? And would I have to send it back for a repair?

Olivier Burri

PostFri Mar 26, 2021 12:24 pm

Gee

I wouldn't wait a sec and send the lemon back.
Olivier G. Burri

TeilO.

PostFri Mar 26, 2021 4:22 pm

hey

My BMPCC6KPRO arrived yesterday + the LCD also exhibits a cool tone .. annoyingly

Spoke to supplier then BM support (UK)

The dude confirmed they are aware of the issue and it will be addressed in the next firmware update (7.3 i think) via a user calibration feature i believe..

He couldn't give an ETA (is in BETA)

I'm kind pissed still, but hope this fix is effective + swift and that info is of use to anyone else with the same probelmO

x

SantenPlu

PostSat Mar 27, 2021 1:37 pm

TeilO. wrote:Spoke to supplier then BM support (UK)

The dude confirmed they are aware of the issue and it will be addressed in the next firmware update (7.3 i think) via a user calibration feature i believe..

I'm curious how they will implement a calibration feature.
For calibration you´ll need a colorimeter or spectrometer. I think most people don't have this at home.

Or they just put some RGB slider in the menu and you can correct by eye :/

nselangbam

PostSat Mar 27, 2021 5:50 pm

Some people in the Facebook group day that the tint goes away after a week of use? I'm still getting my spare batteries today so I haven't tried it yet. I don't see anybody else reporting these findings though.

WahWay

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 3:08 pm

SantenPlu wrote:
Robert Niessner wrote:

It could be you have a faulty one because it is very bright and contrasty.
My viewfinder for the Pocket 6k Pro arrived today. It look very good and almost matches my camera screen. I don't have the blue tint problem that others have. The viewfinder is a touch less contrast than my Pocket 6k Pro screen. Also in false colour the viewfinder shows more stronger pink while the Pocket 6k Pro screen has a pale pink.
I heard some reviewers think the resolution is too low and could not really make use of it, but given how small the screen is I'm not sure it makes much if any different if the viewfinder was 4k or higher. It maybe that they too have a bad one?
I recommend using the focus chart and make proper adjustment.

focuspulling

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 6:30 pm

WahWay wrote:It could be you have a faulty one because it is very bright and contrasty.
My viewfinder for the Pocket 6k Pro arrived today. It look very good and almost matches my camera screen. I don't have the blue tint problem that others have. The viewfinder is a touch less contrast than my Pocket 6k Pro screen. Also in false colour the viewfinder shows more stronger pink while the Pocket 6k Pro screen has a pale pink.
I heard some reviewers think the resolution is too low and could not really make use of it, but given how small the screen is I'm not sure it makes much if any different if the viewfinder was 4k or higher. It maybe that they too have a bad one?
I recommend using the focus chart and make proper adjustment.

I do think that via firmware update there should become a discrete/different focus peaking (via colored peaking) sensitivity setting and pixel size due to the tiny size of the EVF screen -- currently, focus peaking is very clear and easy to use on the big screen, but almost invisible when looking through the EVF, at the same setting. It leaves the impression of a design mistake; the native pixel resolution of the EVF is not corresponding right with the focus peaking pixel density.
Paul Moon | FocusPulling (.com) | On the art & technology of filmmaking
www.focuspulling.com | facebook.com/focuspulling | @focuspulling

WahWay

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 7:56 am

My Pocket 6k Pro Viewfinder produce image closer to my Video Assist than my camera monitor. Although my camera did not have the blue tint problem the way it handles highlights making it look brighter and drop deeper shadow is not so accurate afterall. I originally thought it was the LUT so maybe its my camera screen. This may also explain how false colour pink is not quite as strong but sort of pale grey?

Howard Roll

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 11:13 am

Dan Turmik wrote:BMs response to my support request regarding the monitor:

The PCC6K Pro LCD and EVF are intended as reference monitors and are not designed to be colour accurate, so they may not match perfectly to the colours in your scene.

The opposite is true, reference monitors are designed to be color accurate. These are not reference monitors, they're confidence monitors.

Good Luck

Arvidnicolas

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 11:53 pm

I ordered 2 units, I picked up one that was available in the store in Andorra and another sent to my house few days later. Whoalla the minute I turn it on I immediately knew it was what you guys all been talking about the horrible cyan green ish look. Side by side with the first unit that is perfect it looks terrible definitely not what you want to expect after getting 2 brand new units. Worst thing is I bought it for a shoot in halfway round the globe and I don't have time to wait for a different unit,... Really wondering will this issue be resolved by firmware update really? Or its just a lemon... Anyone have any real knowledge of how blackmagic will resolve this to their customer who gets such a product... Were there any foot note in the ad campaign of 6k pro *BTW as its a hdr lcd monitor color may shifts wayyyy off from one product to another. If anyone have any idea please shine the light?

jokafor

Black Magic 6k pro blue screen

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 10:54 pm

I just got my Black Magic 6k pro from B&H but unfortunately, it has the dreaded blue/green tint on the back screen. I'm not sure if I should return it or will Black Magic do something about it and for how long we should wait.

I should have kept my old 6k and wait for the issue to be resolved before purchasing one. There is no guarantee that the next copy won't have the same issue if I return it.

jokafor

PostTue Apr 13, 2021 6:05 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:I'd guess that you have accidentally activated a display LUT above the internal LUT.
Make sure that if you for example have set dynamic range to "video" or "extended video" you have no display LUT activated for the LCD

I will check that but I always set it to film but for sure I activated display lut.

jokafor

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 2:26 am

I won't be returning mine since Black Magic is aware of the issue and working on a fix. Below was an email I got from Black Magic support:

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

Our developers are aware of tint issues with the LCD of the Pocket Cinema Camera 6K Pro, and are working on addressing this by way of a future firmware update. While we don't have an indication of when this update will be available, rest assured that we are actively working on this, and when it's released, it should be made available on the following support page: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/suppor ... al-cameras

I do apologize for the inconvenience, but I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Olivier Burri

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 3:03 pm

Howard Roll wrote:The opposite is true, reference monitors are designed to be color accurate. These are not reference monitors, they're confidence monitors.

Good Luck

I'm afraid, this is evidence.

Blackmagic support is a joke or a pity, maybe both.
Olivier G. Burri

AmeliaC92

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 11:26 pm

I tested against a cheep chinese monitor and the 6k pro viewfinder and the blue shift is VERY noticeable (see picture.) If anyone from Blackmagic is reading, please provide a color calibration tool because it would quickly solve the issue for those of us with the technical knowledge could get it in an acceptable range. I don't plan on resending it because if I am shooting in raw simply shifting the color warmer solves this but I'd like to not have to return it later on.

Kadokiox

PostTue Apr 20, 2021 7:14 pm

While my new (Replacement) 6K Pro no longer suffers from white dots on the ND filters, it does have the severely cyan tinted screen. Possibly worse than my first 6K Pro which I had to return.

I was on a shoot a few days ago alongside a 6K non-pro and the cyan tint of my 6K Pro's screen was so drastic the DP literally did a double take, stopped in their tracks and pulled me aside to ask about it. I told them about the on-going issue, connected a reference monitor to show the flaw to them and reassured them that the recorded footage will be fine. Regardless, we had to do a test shoot and send a short clip to the colorist to confirm before the DP allowed production to continue which that cost us about an hour of production time as people milled about waiting.

Putting a 6K Pro with the dramatic cyan-tinted screen next to a 6K non pro is absolutely striking; it's such a large difference that BM simply has to fix or recall cameras that have this flaw.
Previous

Return to Cinematography