ATEM 2M/E = 2 program outs?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Jeff Amato

ATEM 2M/E = 2 program outs?

PostMon Oct 01, 2012 6:29 am

This may be a silly question, but does the 2 m/e have two seperate program outputs? Is that what is meant by 2 multi-effect? It's not super clear to me, however in the photos of the hardware panel there are two program and preview busses as well as two t-bars.

Could I essentially use it to run an in-house mix and a web mix separately but simultaneously?

bobzelin

Re: ATEM 2M/E = 2 program outs?

PostMon Oct 01, 2012 7:54 pm

a 2ME switcher means that you can create and build your effects in the top ME buss, and then enter this entire build into the second ME buss, which is "downstream" of the first ME buss. Did you ever watch a sporting event or news show, with all kinds of junk on the screen ? Well, that's how they do it - a multi buss switcher, that can create multiple layers live. Bigger switchers from Grass Valley, Ross, Sony, Snell and Wilcox, etc. have 3 and 4 ME switchers, for the really complex stuff.

All the switchers that BMD makes have multiple program outputs - you can use the AUX outputs as additional Program outputs - or you can buy the Blackmagic Mini converter SDI Distributor to give you 8 additional HD-SDI outputs if you need them.

Now the BIG question, is - "why does anyone want all that crap on the screen anyway !". But that question is for a producer - it's our job to just give 'em what they want, and shut up.

bob zelin
bobzelin@icloud.com

Jeff Amato

Re: ATEM 2M/E = 2 program outs?

PostMon Oct 01, 2012 8:15 pm

Thanks Bob, so then in theory is it possible to use the 'upstream ME buss' and send its output to an aux output as a separate mix (I guess that would be the SuperSource output?), then use the 'downstream ME buss' which would be the program output?

i.e. Use the upstream ME for a web feed mix, while using the downstream ME for in house mix.

This would save me $1k plus the cost of another host or hardware panel in the case of buying two 1 M/E's vs just a single 2 M/E.

Is anyone doing this/Is this possible?

Return to Getting Started