Audio Inputs not monitoring

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

matthewgoyke

Audio Inputs not monitoring

PostWed Mar 31, 2021 5:02 am

I have done my homework reading the reference manual, new features guide, using the search function and looking through many many posts on this forum, watching youtube videos and no luck yet.

I am using:
Resolve Studio 17.1 Build 24
Macbook Pro 16 inch 2019
macOS Big Sur 11.2.3

I have an audio engineering degree and think I pretty much understand the menu options, bus routing, way of selecting/patching inputs and outputs.
I've tried selecting my Macbook Pro built in microphone and patching it to a mono audio track, but no sound is heard or recorded.
I've tried selecting different inputs from my SSL 2+ class compliant audio interface as well with the same results, I can't record anything, even though everything looks good in the preferences, project settings and mixer channel inputs.
I've tried using both Use Fixed Bus Mapping checked and unchecked under Audio Busing Mode.

I love this software and was trying to get up to speed on the audio side by following along with the training videos. I feel like I've tried everything to rule out any issues with hardware, it all works with every other audio software on my computer.

The whole thing actually seems pretty straightforward, any ideas why I can't get any audio into this software? Almost everything I read on the forums was related to Windows PCs.

Thank you for any information.

tlegvold

Re: Audio Inputs not monitoring

PostWed Mar 31, 2021 6:26 am

Hi Matthew,

have you tried simply using Built-in Audio (BIA) to start with, to verify you're getting sound in and out and can monitor your inputs?

I haven't done a tonne of recording in Fairlight, but have found that using the ADR Setup panel invariably results in a correctly configured audio input, and when put in record armed mode you should be able to monitor the input.

Select your Record Track first, that will "unlock" the Record Source pulldown, select your input source (you can also do this at the top of the mixer strip in question) and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps.
Desktop: 2019 Mac Pro 16 Core CPU 192GB RAM | AMD Radeon W5700X 16GB | OS X Monterey 12.7
Fairlight Audio Accelerator CC-2 | Audio Interface SX-36 | Audio Editor (FAE) | Studio Console
Mobile: 2023 16" M3 Max MacBook Pro 64GB RAM | OS X Sonoma 14.3

matthewgoyke

PostWed Mar 31, 2021 6:57 am

Hi Thor,

Thank you so much for the reply. I have already tried what you mentioned, attached pics as well. Yeah, it's frustrating because there isn't really much to set it up.

I've tried just using built in audio for recording and playback to test, before introducing other hardware such as audio interface. It behaves the same on both, inputs show up in the options, looks to patch correctly source - audio input to destination - track input.

Figured I'd tackle the built in before the SSL just to confirm it works, but no luck with either.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 11.47.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 11.47.43 PM.png (66.59 KiB) Viewed 13102 times
Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 11.47.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 11.47.15 PM.png (143.85 KiB) Viewed 13102 times
Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 11.47.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 11.47.02 PM.png (70.15 KiB) Viewed 13102 times

matthewgoyke

PostWed Mar 31, 2021 6:57 am

1 more pic
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 11.53.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 11.53.10 PM.png (31.94 KiB) Viewed 13102 times

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 7:22 am

Hi

Can I check what monitoring setting is in use on your system:
monitoring.png
monitoring.png (15.5 KiB) Viewed 13056 times

Can you also attach a DRP file and show your settings in DaVinci Resolve > Preferences > Video and Audio IO tab and under File > Project Settings > Fairlight?

Thanks
Shrinivas

Reynaud Venter

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 7:33 am

If no input signal is monitored or captured, you may need to grant Resolve access:
System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Microphone

May also be worth confirming that Resolve has been granted full disk access:
System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Full Disk Access

matthewgoyke

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 9:01 pm

Reynaud Venter wrote:If no input signal is monitored or captured, you may need to grant Resolve access:
System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Microphone

May also be worth confirming that Resolve has been granted full disk access:
System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Full Disk Access

This fixed it!!!! It also now works with my SSL interface.
Thank you so much to all who replied with things to try, it is so much appreciated, I've spent hours on this.
Funny how it usually ends up being something simple.

Thank you.

davidcatt

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 9:15 pm

I have been struggling to get the audio to work also. Initially using my old MacPro, I found that I could select the mic inputs and route to the desired audio channel. Like you, this did not work at first but after giving permission in the settings tab this worked.
So next I tried to do this on Windows and initially, it worked. A couple of days later, I did exactly the same thing and I did not get any audio. Everything was patched exactly the same but no audio. I tried changing the parameters in settings/Privacy/Microphone which made no difference initially but then I found that if I turned permissions off and tried to select "Use System Setting" in Resolves Preferences/Video-Audio tab, and got a message to say that Resolve did not have permission to access this. I gave it permission and it worked.
Today I tried the same thing again but have not managed to get audio from the mic inputs. Not sure what it was that made it work yesterday.
If I use Google Meet, I can select any of the audio input sources. If permission is not granted in "Privacy" settings, I get a warning to say it does not have permission to access the microphone.
I believe that Resolve is not selecting the Microphone correctly and wouldn't it be great to get a warning if the Microphone access is blocked by the OS system controls which would have helped out Matts's initial issue.

Thanks

David

AdamGRF

PostSun Aug 13, 2023 10:49 pm

In my case the solution was to go to Audio Midi Setup Assistant, right click on the audio interface, and "use this device for sound input".

From there Davinci was getting audio from the Mic.

Return to DaVinci Resolve