Best affordable computer for editing 4K BRAW

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Grandemo

Best affordable computer for editing 4K BRAW

PostWed Mar 31, 2021 7:49 pm

Hello! I've just recieved my BMPCC4K and I'm really eager to start making films!
I'm just a bit worried my computer won't measure up when it comes to editing the footage - and wonders if I need to get myself a new computer, and if so, which one... hoping someone could advice me on the matter.

My computer at the moment:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, 2015)
Processor: 2,2 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Startup Disc: Macintosh HD
Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

I think I will be shooting mostly in 4K BRAW 5:1 or Q0.
My plan is to edit in Premiere Pro (and maybe colour grade in DaVince)

My budget is limited. I've been looking at the new Mac Mini M1 (16GB). Does anyone have any experience of that one? Would it be a step forward from my current situation?

And what other options are there? Which Mac do I need to REALLY be able to edit my videos smoothley.
ALSO: is working with proxies a better option if my budget is small? Is my current computer good enough to handle that?

Grateful for all the tips and all the advice I can get!

/Emil

Uli Plank

Re: Best affordable computer for editing 4K BRAW

PostThu Apr 01, 2021 8:31 am

The new Mac mini can handle it smoothly. BUT it will bog down with any serious effects like NR, optical flow, Magic Mask etc. since it’s lacking a serious GPU. Sorry, but for that price you won’t get anything really up to the task 4K means a lot of pixels. If you spend twice as much, you’ll get a decent desktop PC. Or souvenir wait what Apple has up their sleeves next.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Grandemo

PostThu Apr 01, 2021 2:25 pm

Uli Plank wrote:The new Mac mini can handle it smoothly. BUT it will bog down with any serious effects like NR, optical flow, Magic Mask etc. since it’s lacking a serious GPU. Sorry, but for that price you won’t get anything really up to the task 4K means a lot of pixels. If you spend twice as much, you’ll get a decent desktop PC. Or souvenir wait what Apple has up their sleeves next.

OK; I get it. But would be a good computer for editing 4K video... how much does it have to cost?
And is the mac mini still a step up from the computer I have now?

Ellory Yu

PostThu Apr 01, 2021 4:25 pm

I'm waiting to see what Apple will have for their next gen Mac Mini come this June announcement. I'm hoping they'll have a mac mini with more CPU and GPU cores (maybe 16 cores each) and upgradable memory like in the Intel mac mini. I think that will really make the mac mini Mx be a good mid-grade work system.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Uli Plank

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 1:07 pm

From their cycles in the past, I doubt that the first machine to get an M1X (or whatever the name) will be a Mac mini. Rather a MacBook Pro. And then, RAM will never be upgradable for M1. It’s speed and power efficiency lies in everything being on one piece of silicon.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Ellory Yu

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 2:13 pm

Uli Plank wrote:And then, RAM will never be upgradable for M1. It’s speed and power efficiency lies in everything being on one piece of silicon.

I was wishful for it but you're right, it's likely one piece. Hopefully at least a 32Gb RAM model will be available on the Mac Mini M1x.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Return to Post Production