BRAW container format

Ask software engineering and SDK questions for developers working on Mac OS X, Windows or Linux.
  • Author

smunaut

BRAW container format

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 6:59 pm

Hi,

Is the BRAW container format documented somewhere ?

I'd like to have a software that keeps 1 out of every N frames from a braw file and saves the results as braw. AFAICT I can't do that using the SDK (no way to write ...).

So I was looking into the container format and see if I can easily parse the "outer layer" of it just enough to slice frames.

AFAICT there is a small header, then a frame pattern repeating and then a footer. But can't really find any official info about it.

(Obviously the audio would get screwed up, don't care about that).
Resolve Studio - Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD RX6600 / NVidia RTX 4070 (switching between the 2) - Linux

carlomacchiavello

Re: BRAW container format

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 7:07 pm

Support page of Blackmagic Design
Install braw 2.0 and you find sdk installed with lib doc and more

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

smunaut

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 7:24 pm

I have that installed and I don't see any documentation about the file format ...

And the API provided by the SDK seems to be purely display/decode, you can't for instance trim a clip or as I want to do pick some frames and save those as a new BRAW file.
Resolve Studio - Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD RX6600 / NVidia RTX 4070 (switching between the 2) - Linux

smunaut

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 7:59 pm

Small correction, the SDK API actually allows trimming. But doesn't allow to pick 1:N frames like I want to do, so doesn't really help me here.

carlomacchiavello

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 9:15 pm

smunaut wrote:Small correction, the SDK API actually allows trimming. But doesn't allow to pick 1:N frames like I want to do, so doesn't really help me here.
Ask support directly to Blackmagic Design by form to dev team, the same from support page.
I thought that if you can trim (autokroma did a plug-in for premiere to do it) you can access and elaborate single frame solution.
Newer braw support dual file braw from 12k, should be (my idea) access to single frame and rewriting to single braw.
But who better then developer can answer you?
Good luck.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

antoine

PostSat Apr 03, 2021 4:03 am

smunaut wrote:Hi,

Is the BRAW container format documented somewhere ?

I'd like to have a software that keeps 1 out of every N frames from a braw file and saves the results as braw. AFAICT I can't do that using the SDK (no way to write ...).

So I was looking into the container format and see if I can easily parse the "outer layer" of it just enough to slice frames.

AFAICT there is a small header, then a frame pattern repeating and then a footer. But can't really find any official info about it.

(Obviously the audio would get screwed up, don't care about that).

Yes you can do that. Why do you want to do that ?
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

smunaut

PostSat Apr 03, 2021 5:43 am

I can ? How ?

Basically I want to take some piece of footage and convert it as if I had shot it using the "time lapse" option of the camera. This is to still keep then as original BRAW but reduce their size drastically since they are just b-roll and I just need to show "long term" evolution of the scene.

smunaut

PostSun Apr 04, 2021 9:08 am

I ended up writing my own tool to do that :
https://gist.github.com/smunaut/8dedbf5 ... d8490fa763

antoine

PostSun Apr 04, 2021 11:31 pm

Haven't tested your code, but wow you're fast Sylvain ! You could have tried to hack ffmpeg to accept the braw and tweak it there (at least you would have had the MOV Quicktime demuxers and muxers)
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

smunaut

PostMon Apr 05, 2021 7:50 am

I thought about trying to reuse mov parsing code but given I wanted to try and keep the meta-data as close as possible to the original (I don't know what subset of MOV they actually allow/implement) with as close a structure to the original as possible.

In the end it wasn't too much of an issue to just go parse & patch the 'moov' block in python.

My code definitely doesn't support all of possible MOV option/structure, but it parses fine what's written by my bmpcc4k.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 2:59 am

Hi, we will consider this feature for the trim command in a future update, thanks.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

smunaut

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 5:49 am

\o/ Thanks, that would be great to be able to use the official SDK for this.

Return to Software Developers