Problems with desktop video 12 *SOLVED*

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

David Hutchinson

Problems with desktop video 12 *SOLVED*

PostSun Apr 04, 2021 9:02 pm

Just upgraded my Decklink Quad2 card the firmware 12 and the drivers can no longer see the card. No card appears in Desktop Vidro setup, however I can see all 8 ports in device manager. I've incrementally downgraded to V11.5 - from where I started- but still nothing in setup.

Anyone with any suggestions?
Last edited by David Hutchinson on Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nelson Villamil

Re: Problems with desktop video 12

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 7:53 pm

I made a small "Images Mix" for a reference of each step.

Step-0 IMPORTANT

Verify that only one version of Desktop Video is installed, in this case version 12

Step-1

Open the Task Manager and select the STARTUP tab

Step-2

Right click on Desktop Video Updater, and click on the option: Open file location

Step-3

Now in the file explorer, right click on DesktopVideoUpdater.exe and select: Run as Administrator

Step-4

Open the Desktop Video Setup to confirm if the card is detected !!!

Step-5

Open Media Express and check in the Device menu, if it shows the card

Steps-to-FIX.jpg
Steps-to-FIX.jpg (591.63 KiB) Viewed 5294 times

NOTE
ONLY if the last steps didn't work,
Option 2:
It is necessary to open the computer to access the card

- Desktop video Ver 12 installed
-Turn off the computer
-connect by cable the card using the DeckLink internal USB connector to a USB port on the computer.
-Restart
- and wait for it to show the Firmware Update window

David Hutchinson

Re: Problems with desktop video 12

PostSun Apr 11, 2021 9:04 am

Nelson thank you so much for taking the time and effort to do the explanation. Unfortunately it didn't work with part1 but it definitely got me thinking on the right track.

I ended up going into Device Manager and uninstalling all the Quad2 devices. I rebooted and the card updated firmware - now all is good with the world especially as I have a big concert to film this week and I needed my captions!.

Once again thank you for taking the time to help out.

roadrunner

Re: Problems with desktop video 12 *SOLVED*

PostTue Apr 13, 2021 8:03 am

I can confirm I've solved the same issue with my Quad HDMI Recorder, using the same actions as David in the post above.

In Device Manager, uninstalled all Decklink card devices and shutdown for a cold restart. All good now. Thanks all for sharing what you have learned!
System 1: Dell Precision 7810, Dual Xeon 2620, 72GB RAM, GeForce 1080ti 11GB, Win10 pro, Resolve Studio 17.4.
System 2: Custom build Intel i7-12700K, 64GB RAM, GeForce 1080ti 11GB, Ubuntu 22.04, Resolve Studio 17.4.

tbc.av7

Re: Problems with desktop video 12 *SOLVED*

PostSun May 02, 2021 4:21 pm

I also had this issue when I originally installed "everything", a newly built DIY computer, Windows 10 20H2 installation with a BM Quad HDMI Recorder. Everything was working fine with the initial installation. Upon doing some BM Desktop Video updates, going from 11.6 (maybe it was 11.7) to 12.0, the Desktop Video Setup itself lost visibility to any HDMI device plugged in. Still, I surprisingly could at least get OBS to recognize an input to HDMI-1. And as others mentioned, I could see the proper setup in Device Mgr of HDMI-1. The rest, the 2nd, 3rd and 4th HDMIs were all listed under "Other devices" with a (?) question mark on each of them. And I tried downgrading the BM Desktop Video back to 11.7, 11.6 and several others previous levels, all without any success.
And then after reading this post and another BM forum posting, I merely just selected each of the 3 non-working HDMIs found in Device Mgr under "Other devices" and chose the "Update driver" option (I myself did not do any uninstallating). One by one, each became defined properly in Device Mgr, started working and all became visible to Desktop Video Setup.
Perhaps the BM hardware received an initial firmware update with a possible bug, and that's why it worked initially but then eventually stopped working.... but who knows. I wish BM engineering would take a real look at this with so many customers apparently having this issue.
Thank each of you for posting your experience here.

Return to Post Production