inspector/selection is slowing down resolve drastically

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Rick van den Berg

inspector/selection is slowing down resolve drastically

PostSun Apr 04, 2021 9:33 pm

when the inspector is open, there is a very noticable delay in the timeline after every up or down(next or previous clip) command. especially when "selection follow playhead" is turned on. If i close the inspector things are snappy again, but that still doesn't take away the delay when i manually select a clip. It can get up to about a second or 2. I'm pretty sure this wasn't as noticable a few months ago as it is now. Is this normal?

I remember i had the same issue with my previous build, which slowly got worse and worse. even re-installed windows a few times, but didn't improve it. It got up to the point where it was so bad, that i wanted to throw my pc out of the window. i'm now kind of afraid this will happen again. Does anyone recognize this?

i tested this with footage (xavc, mxfop1a, r3d, etc) from both my NAS and my internal m2 SSD.

John Paines

Re: inspector/selection is slowing down resolve drastically

PostSun Apr 04, 2021 9:39 pm

Try disabling one of the GPUs.

Jim Simon

PostMon Apr 05, 2021 3:41 pm

If memory serves, there was a bug here related to Linked Selection. Pull that thread.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Rick van den Berg

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 1:53 pm

hmm it doesn't seem to have anything in common with linked selection, also not with the 2 gpu's. i work with 1 now, a different system needed the other for now.

It's very weird, when i use a different system, same project, it's all snappy again. It also doesn't seem to have a relationship with the database, as it is also not improved after working from the desktop.

Jim Simon

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 1:57 pm

I don't know. I can't duplicate the issue here in Studio 17.1.1 for Windows.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Rick van den Berg

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 7:19 pm

okay i was kind of wrong, the other systems (both mac and windows) were also showing the same delays in the same project, same database. it seems project related, not sure yet what exactly is causing it. wild guess is that the bigger the project, the slower these things get, which is nothing new. only the project is not big at all. still talking about delays of just below the second. so it doesn't sound huge, but it gets really annoying when you want to work fast.

Return to DaVinci Resolve