Unable to preview 3G Recorder signal in Media Express

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

morbank

Unable to preview 3G Recorder signal in Media Express

PostThu Apr 01, 2021 9:37 pm

I am trying to capture the video on my laptop from my old KY-1900 broadcast camera. But I seem to have an issue with Media Express recognizing the signal. If anyone has any insights as to how I might get this working it would be greatly appreciated!

Here is my current setup…

- Composite Output (BNC) from KY-1900 into Composite Input on AJA D10AD Analog to SDI Converter (10-bit). I have set the D10AD’s input to “Composite” by turning the first two dip switches to the “On” position.

- Out of AJA D10AD SDI Output 1 into Blackmagic Ultrastudio 3G Recorder SDI Input…

- Out of 3G Recorder Thunderbolt 3 Output into Thunderbolt 3 port on 13” 2019 MacBook Pro running Big Sur v11.0.1…

- I have successfully installed the Blackmagic Desktop Video Setup app (v11.7 as v12.0 would not recognize the 3G Recorder), and have selected the 3G Recorder’s SDI port as the Input. As a side note, the only option I have for the 3G Recorder in the Desktop Video Setup app is choosing between the SDI or HDMI as the Input.

- I have also successfully installed Media Express. However, it does not seem to have automatically detected my signal format as I do not see a preview from the KY-1900. I do not know the format of the KY-1900’s output signal other than that the manual says “500 lines at center”.

- I have confirmed that the KY-1900 and composite cable are working as I can see the video output from the camera when I connect it to a TV.

- I can also confirm that the AJA D10AD is receiving a signal as I can see it’s Output LED light up when I connect the KY-1900 to it’s composite Input. And I can also confirm that the SDI cable from the D10AD to the 3G Recorder is working because when I set the D10AD to output a test pattern I can see it previewed in Media Express.

From what I’ve read on this forum it seems like people have more options in the Desktop Video Setup app than I do in terms of setting the format? But I am assuming that is just because the 3G Recorder is a simple device. Anyone know if this is indeed the case?

Without Media Express detecting the output format of the KY-1900, and the fact that I don’t actually know what the KY-1900’s output format is, aside from “500 lines at center”, how might I determine the “Project Video Format” and “Capture File Format” in Media Express?

Lastly, I also read that the 3G Recorder and Media Express combo will not “upconvert”. That the output spec must match the input spec. But I thought this is exactly what the AJA D10AD Analog to SDI Converter was supposed to do, no?

Again, thanks for reading, and any help is super appreciated.

Clay

morbank

Re: Unable to preview 3G Recorder signal in Media Express

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 2:38 am

Something I just noticed...

In my Media Express Preferences "Capture from an RGB source" is greyed out. The camera I am using is RGB, NTSC. Is there a way to enable this? Or is this option not supported with the 3G Recorder?

Clay

morbank

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 5:37 pm

Looks like the "Capture RGB as source" has to do with DPX capture, so I'm guessing it's not related to my issue.

In some online videos demonstrating the 3G Recorder I see a "Conversions" tab in Blackmagic Desktop Video that lets you set the "Input Conversion". I don't have this tab when I open Blackmagic Desktop Video, should I?

I also tried hooking up a VCR to my setup. I see a preview in Media Express when the VHS tape is stopped (a digitally generated screen), but when I press play the screen turns black.

Lastly, Media Express is actually detecting the format (I hadn't noticed it change the setting in the lower left side). It selects "525i59.94 NTSC". Does that seem right?

So it appears that Media Express is indeed detecting and previewing, but I can't actually see the image as it is showing up as a black screen. Any ideas what's going on?

Clay

Xtreemtec

PostMon Apr 05, 2021 10:43 am

Hook up a HDMI output from a laptop to the HDMI input of the 3G Recorder and send 1920x1080P50 in it to check if your interface works at all??

People often forget on Mac to allow the security settings of the capture devices resulting in a device can be seen but no video.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

morbank

PostMon Apr 05, 2021 4:48 pm

Follow up for anyone interested...

I called Blackmagic and walked them through my set up. They concluded that the issue must be with the AJA D10AD box as the rest of my set up seemed like it should be working. I opted to replace the D10AD with a cheap, $16 dollar composite to HDMI converter (RuiPuo Composite to HDMI Adapter) to try before getting Blackmagic's Mini Converter Analog to SDI (which is $195). With the new converter in place and the Desktop Video Input set to HDMI I now can preview and capture in Media Express!

However, one issue I'm having is that there is a lag when capturing. When watching back the video I am getting skips where there are frames missing. I am going to try playing with the capture settings to see if I can find a setting that works better. Anyone have any advice here?

Clay

WahWay

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 7:35 am

Since upgrading to Big Sur my BMCC camera connected to thunderbolt no longer recognise on Media Express and OBS or Zoom. System report says the camera is connected on thunderbolt port so it is not a hardware problem.

morbank

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 3:59 pm

WahWay,

You might try checking your security settings in system preferences (if you're on a Mac) and make sure it's allowing Blackmagic access (see page 11 of the Desktop Video manual for more detailed information). I wasn't able to get my camera to work until I set the "Allow apps downloaded from:" setting to "App store and identified developers". Hope this helps.

Clay

WahWay

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 9:33 pm

Hi Clay,
Thanks for your advice. Its a success :D
I can get the BMCC via TB working in all three apps now.
MS Teams camera still don't work but that was not working before Big Sur update.

morbank

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 6:06 am

Glad to hear that it worked!

Best,
Clay

morbank

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 8:02 pm

Final update...

I was able to use the Speed Test app to determine that the 13" MacBook Pro wasn't robust enough to capture at 1080p. It performed better at 720p, but I decided to try it with my larger 15" MacBook Pro and running the speed test with that computer I was able to get much better results. So I am now capturing video with no dropped frames or jumps!

Return to Getting Started