How to make the Mini Extreame better for Churches

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

TonyThigpen

How to make the Mini Extreame better for Churches

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 3:21 pm

I have been using the original 1 M/E for a long time at our church. Although I would like to upgrade to the Mini-Extreame, it just is not possible because of one big issue: Aux outputs.

In our church environment, we drive TVs though-out the building using the 1 M/E "Aux Outs". These TVs will, at the correct time, show any of the following:
1) Program out (during the service)
2) Something from the Media player (building map)
3) Camera 1-4, as defined as inputs to the 1 M/E
Additionally, we drive the main projector from another "Aux Out" because it can show different things too.

We currently use macros to switch the Aux Outs on our 1 M/E as we switch inputs at specific times during our service.

So, BMD, can you please consider doing either of the following with the Extreme:
1) Provide a software switch to convert some of the Inputs to AUX Outputs?
2) Or, Create a new Mini, based on the Extreme, that replaces 2 or 4 of the HDMI inputs with HDMI Aux Outputs?

Tony T.

David_Anderson

Re: How to make the Mini Extreame better for Churches

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 8:13 pm

I'd call BM and suggest it but at the same time most people that are using the Mini's aren't looking for the flexibility you are. Probably not a big market share for it. Besides, I avoid HDMI as much as I can as they are not commercial connections.

Good luck!

Best,

David
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
https://leadingedgemultimedia.com
(888) 336-LEMM

TonyThigpen

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 11:08 pm

Almost all my connections to my current 1 M/E are SDI. I use SDI for any input over 10-12' feet.

Maybe if they just updated the current 1 M/E to have some of the Mini Extreame features: SuperSource, Internet streaming and usb disk support.

Side note: Have you noticed that since BMD made the 2 M/E software up-gradable to the 4 M/E, all the 2 M/Es are selling for the price of the 4 M/E? The price for the 2 M/E now is twice the price of the 1 M/E? :cry:

Tony T.

Canyons

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 5:03 am

Church here as well, app is a little different but the 2 aux just misses for us to.

We have two worship centers with two screens in each. We have wanted to run each screen with different content for many years. Zoom has made that even more desirable for when we have business meetings.

At the same time we need the multiview available for the sound board operator and when moving the cameras.

We need three outputs, 1 for each screen and 1 for multiview. I am sure we could find a use for 4, but I can't think of one at the moment.

We have TVs running the Vimeo feed to distribute the service, yes its delayed but nobody notices or at least nobody has ever commented. They just want the content at the other locations.

Yes, a pc might be used for the audio operator to view the audio level, but a TV is much more simple and easier for everyone. Its a church, people do the best they can most without a lot of tech skills ... Not to mention it is safer if they are not in the networked admin panel.

David_Anderson

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 1:46 pm

The only 2 M/E that is upgradeable to the 4 M/E was the 2 M/E Broadcast version which is no longer available. The 2 M/E Production Studio is still selling for 3995.00 and for all intents and purposes the 2 M/E Broadcast was re-branded the 4 M/E.

I'm almost angry with BM for releasing features in the mini's that we had to shell out 4k and up for a year ago. I do recognize what BM's target market is however it ends up on people wanting features in existing units that aren't possible due to hardware limitations.

I remember when a Panasonic 40" plasma TV was 10K. Now you can get a 40" tv for 139.00. It sounds like you just need a 2 M/E and maybe a AMP if you want a hardware encoder. I use a 2 M/E and Wirecast which works well.

Best,

David

TonyThigpen wrote:Almost all my connections to my current 1 M/E are SDI. I use SDI for any input over 10-12' feet.

Maybe if they just updated the current 1 M/E to have some of the Mini Extreame features: SuperSource, Internet streaming and usb disk support.

Side note: Have you noticed that since BMD made the 2 M/E software up-gradable to the 4 M/E, all the 2 M/Es are selling for the price of the 4 M/E? The price for the 2 M/E now is twice the price of the 1 M/E? :cry:

Tony T.
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
(888) 336-LEMM

TonyThigpen

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 2:52 pm

I wish BMD would put out a simple chart comparing the different versions/models of their switchers so it is easy to see what level I need for what I want to do. It's hard to pick out even something so simple as SuperSource without digging into the manuals or finding good pics of the back-side connections. I can't even figure out what I would loose just moving from my original (no longer supported) 1 M/E to the current 1 M/E.

FYI, right now, I feed the program output from the 1 M/E to a Mini-Pro to get the recording and streaming. It would just be so much nicer to have those features internal to the 1 M/E so I did not need all the extra wires and multiview monitors. (Without the multiview on the Mini-Pro, you can't see how good your outbound connection is buffering.)

Tony T.

David_Anderson

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 3:08 pm

Super Source Models:

ATEM Mini Extreme
ATEM 2 M/E
ATEM 4 M/E
ATEM Constellation

Moving from the original 1 M/E you would lose (4) HDMI inputs, the Analog Video Input, Composite Program out. Those are the main things. With the current 1 M/E 4k You would gain (4) SDI inputs and obviously 4k capability. You would also gain noise as the fans are a bit of a hassle but that's consistent throughout the line. If you wait until the warranty is up and replace them with better and also quieter units that's a win.

I doubt they will put streaming engines in the higher end switchers because they're really designed for a different market segment but I could be wrong. Typically in higher end productions you have roles split into different hardware. For instance I use Hyperdecks to do "ISO" recording of each input. There is no way that an ISO recording off an ATEM Mini Extreme will match that from my HD set to Prores 422. There are limitations.

Hope this helps clear things up for you.

Best,

David

TonyThigpen wrote:I wish BMD would put out a simple chart comparing the different versions/models of their switchers so it is easy to see what level I need for what I want to do. It's hard to pick out even something so simple as SuperSource without digging into the manuals or finding good pics of the back-side connections. I can't even figure out what I would loose just moving from my original (no longer supported) 1 M/E to the current 1 M/E.

FYI, right now, I feed the program output from the 1 M/E to a Mini-Pro to get the recording and streaming. It would just be so much nicer to have those features internal to the 1 M/E so I did not need all the extra wires and multiview monitors. (Without the multiview on the Mini-Pro, you can't see how good your outbound connection is buffering.)

Tony T.
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
(888) 336-LEMM

Fornez

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 3:23 pm

It seems like you could use a different device instead of the media player and save yourself an output

Our setup will be like this

ProPresenter Computer - All Projectors
ATEM HMDI Out 1 - Cafe and Lobbies
ATEM HMDI Out 2 - Multiview
Program Feed - Livestream

Then we have a video hub leftover from the original install that all the sources route through. So if we want what we send to the cafe's to be inside our main room we switch with a stream deck through the video hub

David_Anderson

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 4:22 pm

Seems like the OP is trying to use less gear and not have external devices. Multiple Aux Outs are quite useful.

Best,

David

Fornez wrote:It seems like you could use a different device instead of the media player and save yourself an output

Our setup will be like this

ProPresenter Computer - All Projectors
ATEM HMDI Out 1 - Cafe and Lobbies
ATEM HMDI Out 2 - Multiview
Program Feed - Livestream

Then we have a video hub leftover from the original install that all the sources route through. So if we want what we send to the cafe's to be inside our main room we switch with a stream deck through the video hub
David Anderson
Leading Edge Multimedia
(888) 336-LEMM

TonyThigpen

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 6:55 pm

David_Anderson wrote:Seems like the OP is trying to use less gear and not have external devices. Multiple Aux Outs are quite useful.
Best,
David

Yes, adding Pro Presenter would complicate things even more. Currently, we have two simple power-point laptops where one is on the pulpit for the speaker and one in the sound booth for the song service. (Our minister wants to control the sermon power-point himself so we let him.) We also use an old power-point PC to show announcements and other information on the TVs in the foyer, but it does not currently feed though the 1 M/E because we burnt out one of the AUX outputs of the 1 M/E.

Tony T.

Frank Engel

PostSun Apr 11, 2021 4:06 pm

TonyThigpen wrote:Yes, adding Pro Presenter would complicate things even more. Currently, we have two simple power-point laptops where one is on the pulpit for the speaker and one in the sound booth for the song service. (Our minister wants to control the sermon power-point himself so we let him.) We also use an old power-point PC to show announcements and other information on the TVs in the foyer, but it does not currently feed though the 1 M/E because we burnt out one of the AUX outputs of the 1 M/E.

Just to point it out: ProPresenter could replace PowerPoint on both computers. You could have your pastor use ProPresenter remote on an iPhone or iPad to advance his sermon slides (he would be able to see the slides as he could with the laptop).

Fornez

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 5:46 pm

TonyThigpen wrote:
David_Anderson wrote:Seems like the OP is trying to use less gear and not have external devices. Multiple Aux Outs are quite useful.
Best,
David

Yes, adding Pro Presenter would complicate things even more. Currently, we have two simple power-point laptops where one is on the pulpit for the speaker and one in the sound booth for the song service. (Our minister wants to control the sermon power-point himself so we let him.) We also use an old power-point PC to show announcements and other information on the TVs in the foyer, but it does not currently feed though the 1 M/E because we burnt out one of the AUX outputs of the 1 M/E.

Tony T.

Why not just give him a clicker and keep everything on one computer?

Return to Live Production