Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion composition slightly blurred when I zoom in

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Matthew Tingblad

Fusion composition slightly blurred when I zoom in

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 4:51 pm

Hello,

I noticed when when I zoom in a bunch with some text or shapes in fusion, I see a small bit of blur, even without any blur notes. See the attached image.

Is this just how it is with video? I'm hoping that I can get a pixel-perfect sharpness for this project, so that the exported form can be imported into different projects and then be able to key out the Green background without any problem.

Thanks!
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (33.34 KiB) Viewed 1172 times

Bryan Ray

Re: Fusion composition slightly blurred when I zoom in

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 5:08 pm

Why are you bothering setting up something to key? Just make it with an alpha and save as OpenEXR, and it's done—no keying necessary. Or if you need it to be in a video format, there are flavors of both ProRes and DNxHR that support alpha.

If you have a raster image, enlarging it will always reduce the quality. Instead, make your element at the largest anticipated size and expect to shrink it. There will still be some filtering, but it's way easier to remove data than to invent it, so you will maintain sharpness more easily. You can choose the Filter Method in a Transform tool to choose one that works better for your particular element. Linear will frequently soften things the most, but it's the fastest. If you go with Catmull-Rom or higher, you'll get a tiny bit of artificial sharpening, which might cause ringing if you have a lot of contrast or extremely saturated colors. Most of the time, though, Catmull-Rom is the one I tend to pick.

Are you zooming in with the Viewer? Or using a Transform node to increase the size? The viewer, by default, has a feature called "Smooth Resize" turned on, which attempts to interpolate pixels when you zoom in instead of showing you an accurate representation. I forget exactly where it is in the context menu, but if you right-click in a Viewer and explore around in there, you should be able to find where to turn it off. But remember that if you're not viewing at 100%, you're not seeing what the actual output will be.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Matthew Tingblad

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 8:16 pm

Thanks, I might go your route and export with an alpha. I agree that would be better. Though my client's original material (which I am remaking) used green backgrounds.

To clarify, I'm not using any raster images. It's all generated stuff from within fusion. The screenshot is just two blue background nodes with polygon masks (soft edge is set to 0), and I am zoomed in a bunch with the viewer. After unchecking smooth resize, I can see better what's actually going on with the pixels, though it doesn't solve the problem.

It still just seems odd to me that these generated shapes are still blending with surrounding colors. They are not noticeable when zoomed out to actual size, but it would make a slightly more challenging green screen pull.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (8.03 KiB) Viewed 1136 times

Bryan Ray

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 8:46 pm

Once the shape comes out of the Polygon node, or what have you, it's a raster. The vector only exists inside the mask node. If you use the Size slider in the Polygon tool itself, you'll see that that maintains quality, but once it hits the output it's pixels.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Matthew Tingblad

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 10:50 pm

I see, that makes sense. Thanks.

Return to Fusion