The prices of Cfast 2.0 cards are just ridiculous.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

John Brawley

Re: The prices of Cfast 2.0 cards are just ridiculous.

PostThu Apr 01, 2021 10:22 pm

This is weird.

I don’t want to pay more than I have to pay for anything.

It’s a given that one would shop around for better prices on anything. I’ve never argued otherwise.

I also want media thats reliable. It’s worth more to me to buy a media FORMAT that is more expensive than regular media that everyone else buys if it means that I am less likely to loose a shot.

Do I want to pay more ? No.

Do I try to pay more ? No.

Making blanket statements about the cost of media being ridiculous when the cost or harm to reputation or business from media failure is what’s actually strange.

We have a camera that offers choice. Why bitch about CFAST when you can use another option here ?

What a great world we live in.
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

WahWay

PostThu Apr 01, 2021 11:12 pm

Remember them Lexar 3400x 128gb Cfast cards that were selling for $70 on ebay 5yrs ago? Was hoping the trend for Cfast price was going down but then people who own UM4.6k were snapping them all up and that was the last time I saw them going for that cheap. And then there were Biwin from China and for a short while someone became an agent for them in the UK, started out cheap and got pricier. I think Cfast cards are expensive for what it is but if I was a working pro involved in biggish budget movie or drama and got use to the price of these things I probably care less about it.
There are working pros here involved in bigger budget stuff, also people doing lower budget and indie stuff including hobbyists. Probably a testament to how BMD has managed to appeal to such a wide spectrum of people with its keen pricing.

Matthew_Lawrence

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 7:19 pm

I got my two Anglebird 512gb cards. Don't want to jinx myself but I'm really happy with them so far. Thought I'd share the results of my tests in case anyone else is looking at these cards:

The approved media list said it would do 6k 5:1 at 50fps, but it seems to be able to handle 6k 3:1 at 50fps too

I managed to shoot one continuous recording of 2hrs 17 mins of ProRes 422 before filling the card, which is great for event shooting. I was using the battery grip and still had nearly a full battery left

I can also confirm that when the battery runs out it saves the file it is writing before the camera shuts off

Tim Franks

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 8:07 pm

Matthew_Lawrence wrote:I got my two Anglebird 512gb cards. Don't want to jinx myself but I'm really happy with them so far. Thought I'd share the results of my tests in case anyone else is looking at these cards:

The approved media list said it would do 6k 5:1 at 50fps, but it seems to be able to handle 6k 3:1 at 50fps too

I managed to shoot one continuous recording of 2hrs 17 mins of ProRes 422 before filling the card, which is great for event shooting. I was using the battery grip and still had nearly a full battery left

I can also confirm that when the battery runs out it saves the file it is writing before the camera shuts off

This is awesome to hear!
They seem pretty products.

Stephen Press

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 12:52 am

Funny this coming up, I was just looking at buying some more cards. I was bemused to see the price I paid 4 years ago for my Lexar 3500 is still the same (within $50) for new today, not sure if that means I got a great deal back then or things haven't moved much.
Actually wondering about some of the used card I see, if they work then they seem to keep working :)
"A cameraman with out a camera is just a man"

Johannes Jonsson

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 10:49 am

Because some say they only fabricate their cFast cards, and they only assemble and package them I want to give one example.

When I bought the big original URSA EF 4k when that camera came on the market many years ago I also bought 12x 256GB cFast 2.0 cards.
Not a single one of the 12 cards I bought all those years ago has failed.

Then few years ago I bought 8 more 256GB cFast 2.0, not the same brand and bit cheaper.

Four of those eight I bought two years ago failed after about 3 or 4 months of use, those who failed along with the rest of the eight I bought two years ago ended in the trashcan.

Yes some parts in the card could be the same but there is so much more to it then just that.
All those brands of cards are not the same and you really should expect to pay more for quality like efficiency, lifespan of those cards and security of your shots on the media because of failure.
Johannes
Previous

Return to Cinematography