Colour Science Gen 5 on BMPCC4K?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Francesco Bollorino

Colour Science Gen 5 on BMPCC4K?

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 4:48 am

As I have read wonders about this new feature now ready on BMPCC6K PRO I'd like to know when this kind of upgrade will be made available for my BMPCC4K
Francesco Bollorino
Editor of Psychiatry on line Italia
Thematic Channel on Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/PsychiatryonlineITA1

rick.lang

Re: Colour Science Gen 5 on BMPCC4K?

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 4:57 am

It’s been mentioned that it will be in the next camera firmware update 7.3 but no implementation date has been given. The update will include other new features so it’s going to be a very welcome release!
Rick Lang

RyLo2797

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 7:41 pm

rick.lang wrote:It’s been mentioned that it will be in the next camera firmware update 7.3 but no implementation date has been given. The update will include other new features so it’s going to be a very welcome release!

Has it been mentioned whether it will be a setting in camera whether to use Gen 4 or 5 (for preview or ProRes)? That would be ideal.

Phil999

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 11:31 pm

recently I started to change the default project settings in Resolve to Gen 5, YRGB managed, and Wide Gamut. Great colour. My old pocket 4k footage shines in a rather new light. Which I could achieve with Gen 4 and LUTs and corrections, but with the above project setting I get the good colour without using a single node or LUT. It's a new feature in Resolve 17.

rick.lang

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 11:53 pm

RyLo2797 wrote:Has it been mentioned whether it will be a setting in camera whether to use Gen 4 or 5 (for preview or ProRes)? That would be ideal.

Sorry, I don’t recall BMD discussing implementation details, just that the 7.3 update will include Colour Science Gen 5.

From what we’ve been able to gather, after moving to Gen 5, we’ll be singing that WWII meme (at least in Canada that turned a lot of farm boys into soldiers): “How you gonna keep them down on the farm after they’ve seen Paris?” The family farm was a great place for us kids to visit, but my father never worked the farm again.
Rick Lang

Jamie LeJeune

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 2:49 am

As already noted in this thread, you can currently decode any BRAW file to Gen5 in any app that supports BRAW (and even via setting it in the sidecar file which you can edit in any text editor).

The promised addition of Gen5 will only change what happens in camera — the BRAW metadata will default to Gen5 and the image processing for the LCD and HDMI output will be Gen5. The image data in the BRAW files won't change at all.

It is also worth noting that Gen4 v Gen5 decode option for BRAW has zero impact in any color managed project - whether RCM or ACES. It only has an effect when working outside of those modes.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

WahWay

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 4:07 am

rick.lang wrote:It’s been mentioned that it will be in the next camera firmware update 7.3 but no implementation date has been given. The update will include other new features so it’s going to be a very welcome release!

When Grant announce the Pocket 6k Pro in 17th February he said ver 7.3 was meant to come out about a month. With all the problems that needed addressing with the Pocket 6k Pro the date has been pushed back.

antoine

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 3:17 pm

I confirm that from the moment you use BRAW SDK version 2.0 onwards you should be able to get Color Science Gen5 on all .braw, but by default if you use an old firmware the Decode Using = Camera Metadata it will be in Gen4 by default, until the firmware gets updated with Gen5 as explained previously. But you can switch Decode Using to Custom (Clip) and you can choose Gen5. BRAW SDK 2.0 is available with DaVinci Resolve 17, the BRAW Player + PrPro plugin you download from Blackmagic Design support page and BRAW Studio for Adobe CC version 2.4.0 onwards
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

rick.lang

PostSun Apr 11, 2021 6:47 pm

Remember many shoot ProRes so having Gen 5 in camera is relevant.
Rick Lang

Jamie LeJeune

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 7:55 am

rick.lang wrote:Remember many shoot ProRes so having Gen 5 in camera is relevant.
Thank you for the reminder Rick.
BRAW is so useful it I kinda forgot that ProRes was still there too :lol:
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

rick.lang

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 9:26 pm

It’s understandable since BRAW is so much easier to develop than CinemaDNG. ProRes was possibly even the dominant codec until people tried BRAW and are won over by the ease of use.
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography