Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Can someone help me to get my hand around Fusion Merge node?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

FTN95_fanboy

Can someone help me to get my hand around Fusion Merge node?

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 10:45 pm

So, I've picked up resolve almost entirely for one project which requires me to do some 2d effects. I try to learn basics of fusion but seem to have some problem with it.

The following describes my issue. I start new project, and import a jpg image of approximately 2000 by 2100, and a video of 1200 by 740 (yes I know that's a weird resolution). Then I go to the edit tab and create an empty fusion composition.

I click on it to select it and switch to fusion tab. There I drag and drop two media sources and a merge node. Then I direct jpg into the yellow port on merge for it to serve as the background. Afterwards I direct my video to the same merge node to the green arrow as an insert object.

Afterwards I change merge type to multiply to ensure two surfaces are blended. finally I put color correction node between merge node and background jpg node. AT this stage everything is fine, if I don't touch the frame position bar on the bottom of the preview. As soon as I do it preview switches to the checked texture and starts to flicker between actual image and the checkers. If I return back to the edit tab and remove the new composition, my source media will also be affected and become a weird flickering mashup.

I also cant seem to appropriately position the inner image within the larger image as it seem to only move the frame and not the actual object. I understand that this is probably a very easy question but since I'm forced to restart the app every time i attempt to figure it out I had to reserve to asking for help. Thanks in advance.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Can someone help me to get my hand around Fusion Merge n

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 4:56 am

Moved to Fusion forum
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

UserNoah

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 6:46 am

What's exactly do you mean with "frame position bar at the bottom of the preview"?
Usually there should be a green arrow. One side facing up and one to the right, to move the foreground image in the merge. That arrow should be exactly in the middle of the image by default.

The checker background means the same as in any other application. It's indicating transparency. But if your video doesn't have very rapid changes, then this shouldn't cause flickering.

What happens if you load the image and video into the Fusion composition by using a Loader?
Exchange the MediaIn nodes for Loaders, and on there you need to select the files again from disk.

FTN95_fanboy

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 8:21 am

UserNoah wrote:What's exactly do you mean with "frame position bar at the bottom of the preview"?
Usually there should be a green arrow. One side facing up and one to the right, to move the foreground image in the merge. That arrow should be exactly in the middle of the image by default.

The checker background means the same as in any other application. It's indicating transparency. But if your video doesn't have very rapid changes, then this shouldn't cause flickering.

What happens if you load the image and video into the Fusion composition by using a Loader?
Exchange the MediaIn nodes for Loaders, and on there you need to select the files again from disk.

Ok I will try. Thanks for advice. The frame position bar is the one to scroll over preview in time. And my images have no transparency that partially why I'm confused. I will post the results of changing nodes to loader after I'm done with that. I wanted to also add few things because yesterday it hit me that the issue might be that I`ve installed resolve in not default directory and it might not be able to pinpoint some components? but then I guess its really small chance because its made by professionals. Flickering occurs indeed but that might be due to faulty framerate setting, despite that it seem to be ok before quitting fusion pane?

FTN95_fanboy

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 9:04 am

Here is my process:

Here is my loader node attempt

Step 1:
create new project - everything is default.
[img]//live.staticflickr.com/65535/51106064642_337c71a04e_k.jpg[/img]

Step 2:
Setting up new fusion composition - everything is default.

Step 3 / Step 4:
Loading my materials via loader nodes.
[img]//live.staticflickr.com/65535/51106064617_a35b646d82_k.jpg[/img]
[img]//live.staticflickr.com/65535/51106064607_5bdc2e977b_k.jpg[/img]

Step 5:
My flowchart for attempt with loader nodes. Red circle is around the preview button but the preview is empty.
[img]//live.staticflickr.com/65535/51106636061_e29b9817af_k.jpg[/img]

Step 6:
Once returned to the edit layout my composition had my desired background but no foreground.
[img]//live.staticflickr.com/65535/51106636046_5973eecd72_k.jpg[/img]

Below is my repeated attempt with MediaIn nodes:

Step 1:
Loading media to my project.
[img]//live.staticflickr.com/65535/51106381119_e34baeb9a5_k.jpg[/img]

Step 2:
Creating a timeline with the paper.jpeg as it has larger dimensions.
[img]//live.staticflickr.com/65535/51106381104_4559ef47c4_k.jpg[/img]

Step 3:
My composition during mediaIn nodes attempt. When moving through the timeline (in red rectangle) the nodes highlighted in red flicker with white.
[img]//live.staticflickr.com/65535/51106381084_1021d9750b_k.jpg[/img]

Step 4:
Once returned to the edit pane i got an error this time.
[img]//live.staticflickr.com/65535/51106381064_dc0742c363_k.jpg[/img]

Return to Fusion