Working with BRAW in Premiere Pro

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

shebbe

Working with BRAW in Premiere Pro

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 1:01 pm

Hello,

We are currently shooting on BM camera's. I'm not at the shoot but I got a call with the question ProRes or BRAW. I said braw for obvious reasons and I know it's supported in Premiere but I have a few questions.

For post we won't be going to Resolve for grading, all will be done inside Premiere. I did a quick test with some sample footage and the BRAW 2.0 software.

1. How can I apply different metadata to multiple clips?
Right now the save preset and then drag that to other clips doesn't do anything although this works perfectly with RED files.

2. Can I batch update the sidecar files as workaround?
The idea is to change the colorspace and gamma it's decoding to and remove the lut so we can do proper grading.

If nothing is effective our solution would be to conform all files in resolve to ProRes in preferred settings but I'd rather not have twice the files.

I'm aware of the Autokroma plugin but I don't think it is a good idea to buy 8x a third party plugin for just one project outside of our normal workflow.

Any help is appericiated.
Home System Resolve 18.6b9: Z790 / i9 13900K / 64GB DDR5 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / ASUS PA32UGC 1600 nits
Office System Resolve 18.6b9: X570 / Ryzen 9 5900X / 128GB DDR4 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / EIZO CG248-K

Jamie LeJeune

Re: Working with BRAW in Premiere Pro

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 1:37 pm

I’ve no idea why it doesn’t work in Premiere Pro, but at least in Resolve you can edit BRAW files as a batch by setting one BRAW clip in the raw tab and then pasting that to all the others in a timeline. From there you can make sidecar files for each one. Unfortunately there is currently no batch function for creating or updating sidecar files.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Nick Heydon

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 2:01 pm

If I'm thinking correctly, you can do it like this:

---
Effects Controls > Master Settings

Copy those settings

Project > Bin with media

Select all relevant media and Paste.
---

This should change everything to your chosen parameters, however it might give issues when clips are in different ISO brackets, so keep an eye on that.

Please post back with your results :)

shebbe

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 2:44 pm

Nick Heydon wrote:Effects Controls > Master Settings

Copy those settings

Project > Bin with media

Select all relevant media and Paste.

Thanks Nick, I'm already aware of that method but as I stated this doesn't work with .braw files unfortunately. We use it for RED clips and that works fine...

Jamie LeJeune wrote:I’ve no idea why it doesn’t work in Premiere Pro, but at least in Resolve you can edit BRAW files as a batch by setting one BRAW clip in the raw tab and then pasting that to all the others in a timeline. From there you can make sidecar files for each one. Unfortunately there is currently no batch function for creating or updating sidecar files.

Thanks for the tip but yea updating every single clip would be hell. I am looking in to batch adjusting the sidecar files with a text editor that might do the trick. :)

I also tried messing with the metadata from inside Premiere and pushing to sidecar but that breaks very fast. The plugin for premiere seems pretty much total garbage and a quick fix to at least give decoding support. Hope they will properly update it or Adobe will support it natively.

If I change the sidecar from Resolve and then read in the clips in Premiere all is good and no fiddling with metadata is needed once loaded.
Home System Resolve 18.6b9: Z790 / i9 13900K / 64GB DDR5 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / ASUS PA32UGC 1600 nits
Office System Resolve 18.6b9: X570 / Ryzen 9 5900X / 128GB DDR4 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / EIZO CG248-K

Nick Heydon

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 4:20 pm

shebbe wrote:Thanks Nick, I'm already aware of that method but as I stated this doesn't work with .braw files unfortunately. We use it for RED clips and that works fine...

Ah sorry, must have misread that part of your post. I've done this with the Autokroma plug-in and with cdng from a Sigma FP and both worked fine, so assumed it would with the official plug-in too. How frustrating for you... I hope you find a fix / reasonable workaround.

Andrew HATFIELD

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 4:48 pm

I don't think the option to copy and paste the metadata to multiple clips is working at the moment. It has worked in previous versions of the BRAW Premier Pro plugin but it doesn't work in the current version.

Another significant problem to be aware of is that if/when you update the BRAW plugin your metadata changes won't be recognised. Your options are then to go back to the version of BRAW you used for the project or redo all your metadata adjustments. It is worth making a note of the version of BRAW used on each project so you can use them retrospectively.

The BRAW/Premier Pro support isn't great at the moment.

antoine

PostTue Apr 13, 2021 8:48 pm

Hi,

How many clips do you have ? With the sidecar workflow you will also need to manually change the name of each .sidecar

In theory the copy paste of Source Settings should work (except when you have a different ISO lists !). It works in BRAW Studio. Last time we tested it in the official Blackmagic plugin it was buggy ("I’ve no idea why it doesn’t work in Premiere Pro" => because they need to fix that bug), but maybe this changed in recent versions ? More information in those articles : Blackmagic plugin bugs Copy paste source settings effect Batch apply global presets to multiple clips with our PrPro Panel You can also batch load/save sidecar

Nick we didn't know about this "Project > Bin with media" we will look into it ! Are there others use of this method ?
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

shebbe

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 7:57 am

Thank you all for thinking with me here.
The footage arrived and luckily enough everthing is already set to log space. My concern was that it would have the metadata set to video/709.

It's set to gen4 film so I can easily create a lut and apply grade now.

Good to know that there are also issues on plugin version versus metadata changes not loading. I guess I'll avoid it's use as much as possible for now. Worst case we could do a roundtrip to Resolve for this particular project eventhough that reaches a bit outside of our workflow it would be alot more efficient for finishing.

Nick Heydon

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 11:03 am

antoine wrote:Nick we didn't know about this "Project > Bin with media" we will look into it ! Are there others use of this method ?

It's just copying the source/master settings to multiple clips, but I didn't know how to word it.

Return to Cinematography