Multicamera Angle Change after Clip Speed Change

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

yamffpl

Multicamera Angle Change after Clip Speed Change

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 9:26 am

Hello Everyone,

We have been using Resolve Studio since last 8 months for editing our Multicam Videos.

One of the concerns we have been facing is able to change the multicamera angle using the keyboard shortcuts after changing clip speed / retime.

The clips successfully change angle when pressing the custom keyboard shortcut - 1/2/3/4 keys. However when the clip speed is changed even once to any percent/framerate - then the multicamera angle shortcuts don't work. The angle can still be changed by right clicking, going to Multicam>Angle1/2/3

Please help me on this.

Jim Simon

Re: Multicamera Angle Change after Clip Speed Change

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 1:56 pm

Ooooh, speed changes and Multicam, not a good mix.

Can you expand a bit on the work flow and desired result? (I'm wondering if there's a better way to approach things.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

yamffpl

PostTue Apr 13, 2021 8:44 am

Jim Simon wrote:Ooooh, speed changes and Multicam, not a good mix.

Can you expand a bit on the work flow and desired result? (I'm wondering if there's a better way to approach things.)

Hey Jim,

We shoot at 50fps, and our renders are at 25fps, multiple cameras at 4k50p without audio. The videos are long - 40-60 minutes long, which are edited with speed changes to make them 8-10 minutes long.

Audio is voiceover, which is recorded and aligned after editing with the required speed changes - 50% to 600% depending upon the scenes. These are instructional videos that we produce with the same format since a couple of years.

Shifted to using Resolve Studio from Adobe Premiere last year for the H264Decoding in Timeline Playback and for the outstanding Color Correction in Resolve.

Hope we have a way to sort this out to make the edit easier. Even if the clip is sped once, and changed back to 100%, it doesn't support changing angles. We got multiple licenses for Resolve Studio as a company, it'd be a pain if we have to shift back to PR as facing a lot of small niggles and crashes recently.

Jim Simon

PostTue Apr 13, 2021 3:20 pm

Well, the whole thing sounds weird to me, but...are you changing the Clip Attributes from 50 to 25 before creating the Multicam?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Howard Roll

PostTue Apr 13, 2021 6:04 pm

The multicam clip (compound clip) itself needs to be timestreched not the individual component, ie multicam angle 2 not Acam030502.mov

Select the cam/angle then make the adjustment on the timeline. Timestretch the timeline and all the source clips get faster or slowing in the multicam to maintain sync. This seems ideal behavior to me.

Good Luck

yamffpl

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 8:58 am

Well, the sync and the process is not a problem at all. Everything is synced, and works well without any concerns. We sync all the footage in a timeline native fps - 50fps, which is named MTC Source Timeline and the edit is done on a Timeline with 25fps called as MTC Edit on which the MTC Source is dragged. This exact workflow has been since years, and causes no sync or any other related issues. Works perfectly fine on Resolve as well as PR.

Sharing the exact concern:

In the Apricot Labelled Yellow Clip (no clip speed change)- I am able to quickly switch the multicamera angle with the Custom Keyboard Shortcut 1/2/3/4 key.

However in the Blue Labelled Clip (clip speed change is added, indicated by the speed icon) - The multicamera angle switch needs to be done by right clicking and going to Switch Multicam Clip Angle - Angle1/2. The Keyboard Shortcut does not work with clip speed added. That's the only issue.

My only concern is being able to switch multicam angles with the keyboard shortcuts even when there's a clip speed effect added.

yamffpl

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 9:22 am

To add for more info as to why this is crucial : We work with multiple editors, and there are some scenes which one editor chooses and adds clip speed and the final edit needs that to be changed. Which again, can be done but needs to be done by right clicking and going to Switch Multicam Clip Angle.

One more issue we encountered with the same stuff - Option to Flatten a Multicam Clip is not present if there is a clip speed added.

Both issues are small, but do add up for efficient, quick edits. Hope this can be done by the team with the next updates.

Howard Roll

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 11:46 am

I can't duplicate the behavior with retime, right click speed change, or inspector speed change on my system. How/where are the retime effects being applied?

After selecting a clip and making changes, in the inspector for example, one needs to go back to the viewer to re-select multicam mode.

Good Luck

yamffpl

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 4:44 pm

Howard Roll wrote:I can't duplicate the behavior with retime, right click speed change, or inspector speed change on my system. How/where are the retime effects being applied?

After selecting a clip and making changes, in the inspector for example, one needs to go back to the viewer to re-select multicam mode.

Good Luck

Thanks for your message, Howard. We use Change Clip Speed (via custom shortcut - Ctrl + R) to change the clip speed.

With your message, I was testing around and found the fix for this exact concern:

When there is a clip speed/retime effect added to a multicam clip, and is on Single Viewer Mode with Inspector open(not dual/no multicam/source monitor) - the custom shortcut for switching multicam angle does not work. However - if we turn off inspector panel, then switch to Dual Viewer Mode, and open Multicam Viewer. Then the shortcut works.

This turning off inspector panel, and opening dual viewer, then multicam viewer is not required for clips without any clipspeed/retime effects.

Overall, rightclicking the exact clip>Switch Multicam Clip Angle>Angle1/2/3/4 is faster than closing and opening these panels. As not everytime we need the Multicam Viewer open, as it sometimes hampers playback perfomance.
Maybe a custom AutoHotKey would be ideal for doing this right click mouse option. As we already use that for other stuff like Move Playhead to Cursor.

Still unable to find a fix for flattening Multicam Clips which have Clip Speed/Retime Effect Added.

I had one more concern - there are some projects where we want to Change Scaling of the Original Video to Crop Mode or any other Mode (via Retime & Scaling in Inspector Panel) after making the edits on the Multicam Project. I have found that this is not possible - unless we flatten the multicam clip.
(our raw footage is 4k, and exports are 1920x1080 OR 1080x1920)

Flattening the Multicam Clip is the only issue we are mainly facing now, specially for the clips with retime effects added.

Return to DaVinci Resolve