Starter cine package suggestions

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

BatmansBM

Starter cine package suggestions

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 10:05 pm

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
Meike 50mm T2.2 Cinema Lens - MFT
Sandisk Extreme Pro CFast 2.0 128 GB (525R/450W)

I primarily want to shoot 4K 30 fps to 60fps. The only distortion I am interested in is the bokeh effects that cinematic anamorphic 2:35:1 lenses produce especially with the background blurred in contrast to the subject matter in the foreground. I don't want wide-angle lens distortion for now. I would consider some sort of Sigma telephoto lens with minimal zoom but I want to avoid image stabilization. I will use gyroscopes for that and Davinci Resolve.

I am making this step because I want to upgrade to DaVinci 17 pro and I want to start shooting digital cinema quality RAW 4K footage for presentation as widescreen. As close to 2.35:1 anamorphic look as I can get as near 35mm film quality on a budget.

Or can I do better on a similar budget?

Thanks
Bokeh is nice

Uli Plank

Re: Starter cine package suggestions

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 12:39 am

While the Meike is nice, it's not really a wide angle on MFT, rather a short tele. For budget lenses, make yourself familiar with vintage photographic glass. Minolta for example is still cheap, while great quality. See my thread over at: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread ... ival-Guide

Another good starting place is https://www.vintagelensesforvideo.com

And then, the typical anamorphic bokeh can only be achieved with an anamorphic lens.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

rick.lang

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 5:15 am

Your proposed gear won’t give you an anamorphic bokeh. You may not have the appropriate lens as Uli mentioned. You might use an true anamorphic lens however they are not inexpensive. An anamorphic adapter requires that your taking lens has a sufficiently large image circle as the adapter will increase your horizontal angle of view. Let us know if you understand all that or we should provide you more specific information or examples.

What budget would you have for the lens or anamorphic adapter?
Rick Lang

BatmansBM

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 7:15 am

One video I was looking at was and I seemed to like was the Sigma 50mm 1.4 bokeh test

I am also reading and learning about a Metabones Speedbooster.

I am open to the idea of using anamorphic lens adapters on a budget lens. Isn't that the 3.7K Anamorphic format setting and then using the de-squeeze feature on the camera? I hope DaVinci has the de-squeeze also.

However, I am interested in retaining 4K quality also. However nice bokeh is a big consideration for me. I like that look and will be using it often.
Bokeh is nice

roger.magnusson

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 10:27 am

In addition to what's already been said above, the Pocket 4K has a 16:9 aspect ratio sensor. In order to get the traditional oval bokeh from a 2x squeeze anamorphic lens or adapter in the correct desqueezed aspect ratio you would have to crop in quite a lot on the sensor.

You could also get a 1.33x squeeze lens to use the whole sensor and get a 2.40:1 image, but then there's hardly any oval bokeh.

BatmansBM

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 2:01 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:In addition to what's already been said above, the Pocket 4K has a 16:9 aspect ratio sensor. In order to get the traditional oval bokeh from a 2x squeeze anamorphic lens or adapter you would have to crop in quite a lot on the sensor.

You could also get a 1.33x squeeze lens to use the whole sensor and get a 2.40:1 image, but then there's hardly any oval bokeh.

Okay this seems like a valid point. If I look at a Super35mm movie camera aperture the full-frame ratio is 4:3. On a 4k TV I have black bars at the top and bottom. So basically I seeing just 4K cropping for that 2.4:1 shape. A full 55" 4K screen is the entire 4K sensor. Therefore all bokeh effects need to be coming from an effect on the lens and I need the right lens for the job.

So if I am sticking with the BMPCC4K what would be a good lens and any adapter I need have a cinematic image not unlike anamorphic super35mm 2.35:1 background bokeh. If I won't get exact the same on a budget that's fine, just something close. What I say budget I mean not spending on a professional version of the gear at industry-standard grade. Semi-pro level is what I am aiming for.
Bokeh is nice

Ellory Yu

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 4:52 pm

Agree with everyone else comment on the lens. You might also want to check out the SLR Magic line of cine lenses, as well as anamorphic adapters. For instance...
SLR Magic 25mm T0.95 HyperPrime Cine III Lens (MFT Mount) - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _cine.html

Anamorphic adapters...
1.33 - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... l/overview

or go with something like this...
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... s=pi&pim=Y

BTW, these lenses are not really wide with the Pocket 4K as you're looking at MFT and also without a focal reducer.

On the CFast card, I suggest getting a 256Gb as your minimum. The Angelbirds are excellent and their prices have been pretty reasonable (compared to the Sandisk Ex-Pro) lately.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

BatmansBM

PostTue Apr 13, 2021 9:19 am

I decided not to go with anamorphic. In the end, I just felt it was not worth the constraints it would put on lens options, the higher prices and the extra work in processing the image. So I will not be going with anamorphics.

Now I want to know if I really need 6K or 6K pro. Or will 4K do. 6K really is a jump up in costs and even without a lens.
Bokeh is nice

Ellory Yu

PostTue Apr 13, 2021 1:50 pm

BatmansBM wrote: In the end, I just felt it was not worth the constraints it would put on lens options, the higher prices and the extra work in processing the image. So I will not be going with anamorphics.

You can always rent anamorphic lenses if the need arises and get an adapter if budget is there.

BatmansBM wrote:Now I want to know if I really need 6K or 6K pro. Or will 4K do. 6K really is a jump up in costs and even without a lens.

This is a matter of preference, convenience, budget, and need. I don't think anyone can tell you if 6K Pro is better than 6K than a 4K. Everyone of this camera can give you excellent IQ and result if you know how to optimally use them.
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

BatmansBM

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 12:21 pm

My GoPro Hero 5 is the only 4K camera I have. It's a fixed lens camera though. You can change settings from that first-person action camera wide-angle spherical look to a flatter linear one. That linear mode is maybe the closest look to a normal SLR with a wide angle lens. Hero 5 is only 12MP. I like it can do 4K at 24 or 25 fps. It has great HD recording at 120 fps for example. Action videos.

I do have access to a phone with 16MP. So a BMPCC4K does stills at only 8MP and if I want 21MP then I need the BMPCC6K. Anyway, the 4K 60 fps and ability to use nice lenses does make the BMPCC4K look like an affordable option.

The only thing is that the Fuji X-T3 is offering some very nice color science with its 4K 60 fps capability. Despite the slight frame crop because it is not a full-frame sensor, APS-C, might also be a contender instead of the BMPCC4K.

So if I wanted a BMPCC4K I might consider an X-T3 instead.
Bokeh is nice

Ellory Yu

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 4:08 pm

BatmansBM wrote:My GoPro Hero 5 is the only 4K camera I have. It's a fixed lens camera though. You can change settings from that first-person action camera wide-angle spherical look to a flatter linear one. That linear mode is maybe the closest look to a normal SLR with a wide angle lens. Hero 5 is only 12MP. I like it can do 4K at 24 or 25 fps. It has great HD recording at 120 fps for example. Action videos.

Why not just get yourself an upgrade with a GoPro Hero 9? Keep in mind you cannot compare the BMPCC line of cameras to a GoPro or DSLR camera. It is a cinema camera and has cinema camera functionality and IQ. You will be disappointed if you think that it is a GoPro replacement. It is a camera that you will need to learn to use first and foremost.

BatmansBM wrote:I do have access to a phone with 16MP. So a BMPCC4K does stills at only 8MP and if I want 21MP then I need the BMPCC6K.

Ha! You will be very disappointed if you think the BMPCC line of cameras 'still' functionality will be anything but. The still feature on the BMPCC is primary conceived to be used for capturing still shots for reference when filming on set for things like continuity reference. It is NOT a still photography camera. You have to get that off your mind.

BatmansBM wrote:The only thing is that the Fuji X-T3 is offering some very nice color science with its 4K 60 fps capability.

Color science - are you kidding me? Not even close.

BatmansBM wrote:So if I wanted a BMPCC4K I might consider an X-T3 instead.

I think you are better off with a GoPro or if you want to spend some money, the X-T3. As I said, you will just be disappointed with BMD cameras if you're thinking of it as a for consumer camera. Good luck!

BatmansBM

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 6:21 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:
BatmansBM wrote:Why not just get yourself an upgrade with a GoPro Hero 9? Keep in mind you cannot compare the BMPCC line of cameras to a GoPro or DSLR camera. It is a cinema camera and has cinema camera functionality and IQ. You will be disappointed if you think that it is a GoPro replacement. It is a camera that you will need to learn to use first and foremost.

Ha! You will be very disappointed if you think the BMPCC line of cameras 'still' functionality will be anything but. The still feature on the BMPCC is primary conceived to be used for capturing still shots for reference when filming on set for things like continuity reference. It is NOT a still photography camera. You have to get that off your mind.

Color science - are you kidding me? Not even close.

I think you are better off with a GoPro or if you want to spend some money, the X-T3. As I said, you will just be disappointed with BMD cameras if you're thinking of it as a for consumer camera. Good luck!

My background involved film school and working for TV later on. I used 16mm, 35mm and Betacam SP before going to MiniDV and Digital S. I basically stopped for decades and want to get back into it again by going digital.

I get the BMPCC isn't a stills camera nor a replacement for a GoPro. I just meant that GoPro Hero 5 is the closest I have come to using modern digital 4K systems. Hero 9 is a very impressive action camera for 4K DCI quality.

I referenced Fuji because it does 4K DCI and also Fuji has a color science history because it use to make even cinematography film stock like Kodak. DaVinci Resolve has some Fuji film LUTs but the Fujicam X-T3 has also got LUT and Log settings within in that look as good as what I have seen for BMPCC4K in terms of YouTube 4K example videos. They both have roughly the same sensor sizes (3/4). So I just saw them both as being close to each other but you seem to think the BMPCC is maybe much more cinematic than the X-T3? Like more faithful to the 35mm big screen look?
Bokeh is nice

Rakesh Malik

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 9:03 pm

BatmansBM wrote:My background involved film school and working for TV later on. I used 16mm, 35mm and Betacam SP before going to MiniDV and Digital S. I basically stopped for decades and want to get back into it again by going digital.

You'll find pretty much any current BMD camera to be rather luxurious if you're used to working with film.

I get the BMPCC isn't a stills camera nor a replacement for a GoPro. I just meant that GoPro Hero 5 is the closest I have come to using modern digital 4K systems. Hero 9 is a very impressive action camera for 4K DCI quality.

When you see the difference in color rendition, you'll start becoming a bit annoyed with the GoPro. :)

When you start adding looks either by creating show LUTs or by color grading (or both), you'll start looking for ways to avoid using the GoPro.

I referenced Fuji because it does 4K DCI and also Fuji has a color science history because it use to make even cinematography film stock like Kodak. DaVinci Resolve has some Fuji film LUTs but the Fujicam X-T3 has also got LUT and Log settings within in that look as good as what I have seen for BMPCC4K in terms of YouTube 4K example videos. They both have roughly the same sensor sizes (3/4). So I just saw them both as being close to each other but you seem to think the BMPCC is maybe much more cinematic than the X-T3? Like more faithful to the 35mm big screen look?

Fuji has a well-earned reputation for its color rendition, because Fuji has been involved in digital imaging since more or less the beginning of time as far as digital imaging is concerned. Their looks aren't the same, but Braw is so malleable that it doesn't really matter that much, and the "stock" look gives you a great starting point. The Fuji's are however primarily still cameras with added video features, which is the main difference as far as quality goes. Great stills, decent video vs the Black Magic great video with decent stills.

Holding off on going anamorphic is a good idea. Start with rectilinear lenses, learn the camera, the footage, and the post process, and as you get more comfortable with all of that you can decide when you're ready to snag an anamorphic lens or adaptor, or just rent anamorphic lenses for a particular shoot.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

JackJones1337

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 6:18 pm

All photos are beautiful. Thank you for thisthread.

Saylrman64

PostSat Apr 22, 2023 8:15 pm

Hey BatmansBM,

I found this thread as I'm moving to a BM 4K and I was wondering if you ever came up with an acceptable lens to get awesome movie style depth of field and bokeh as desired without going to a anamorphic lens.

Thanks in advance. Any help is appreciated.

Saylrman64

BatmansBM

PostMon Jun 12, 2023 11:21 am

Saylrman64 wrote:Hey BatmansBM,

I found this thread as I'm moving to a BM 4K and I was wondering if you ever came up with an acceptable lens to get awesome movie style depth of field and bokeh as desired without going to a anamorphic lens.

Thanks in advance. Any help is appreciated.

Saylrman64

I held back on buying the 4K, and then the 6K G2 came out with the Super 35mm sensor since.

So I am thinking this year of getting a 6K G2 and a Meike S35 25mm.

I'd really like the full edition of DaVinci because I use that often.

Any tips on anything else I need for a basic starter package? I want to get a film look out of the box rather than using a mirrorless camera.

So does that setup sound like it will work?
Bokeh is nice

rick.lang

PostMon Jun 12, 2023 3:02 pm

I like using an app called Lens Toolkit (f8) that allows you to compare lenses and two cameras. You would select the BMPCC6K and possibly the BMPCC4K or another camera and any common lenses that interests you. For example you were thinking of a 25mm lens on the BMPCC4K so you could compare that to the 35mm lens on the BMPCC6K.

You can see DOF and FOV at a variety of subject distances. I found it very helpful when considering a new lens. You can also see the impact of using the full sensor versus a crop or different aspect ratio.
Rick Lang

BatmansBM

PostMon Jun 12, 2023 11:21 pm

rick.lang wrote:I like using an app called Lens Toolkit (f8) that allows you to compare lenses and two cameras. You would select the BMPCC6K and possibly the BMPCC4K or another camera and any common lenses that interests you. For example you were thinking of a 25mm lens on the BMPCC4K so you could compare that to the 35mm lens on the BMPCC6K.

You can see DOF and FOV at a variety of subject distances. I found it very helpful when considering a new lens. You can also see the impact of using the full sensor versus a crop or different aspect ratio.

Awesome. I'll check it out.
Bokeh is nice

Ellory Yu

PostTue Jun 13, 2023 6:19 am

BatmansBM wrote:
rick.lang wrote:I like using an app called Lens Toolkit (f8) that allows you to compare lenses and two cameras. You would select the BMPCC6K and possibly the BMPCC4K or another camera and any common lenses that interests you. For example you were thinking of a 25mm lens on the BMPCC4K so you could compare that to the 35mm lens on the BMPCC6K.

Awesome. I'll check it out.

I second the app called Lens Toolkit (F8). It’s a very indispensable tool for me.

Also, the BMPCC 6K G2 is currently on sale at Adorama. I recall it was like $400 less. So it’s just about $300 more than the P4K. A good time to buy.

BatmansBM

PostTue Jun 13, 2023 12:56 pm

Ah, a small snag. I don't have Apple. Is there another package that can do this for Android or Windows?
Bokeh is nice

Ellory Yu

PostWed Jun 14, 2023 3:53 am

BatmansBM wrote:Ah, a small snag. I don't have Apple. Is there another package that can do this for Android or Windows?

It's only on Apple now. But if you can snag an old IPhone 5 or IPad from Ebay, then you can use it just for that application. I did that for a while since I had an IPhone 5 and 6 just in my drawer.

Return to Cinematography