Speed Editor wheel push actions

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Phil999

Speed Editor wheel push actions

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 4:25 pm

I just wonder what the transport wheel push action could be assigned to by the developer team. My favourite action would be to select the Cut page. The Speed Editor is made for the Cut page. In my opinion this would make much sense. When in the Fusion page, in the Color page, the Edit page, even in the Delivery page, it is often necessary to go to the Cut page. This push on the wheel would be a very good shortcut, instead of grabbing the mouse for this trivial task.

And there's not only the push action, there's also the push-and-wheel action. You push the wheel, hold it down, and turn. This I would like to have as the global audio level. Would be very useful for mobile use where there is no console or audio interface attached, only the laptop system audio. It would equally be useful for workstations. No need to reach for the mixing desk that might be too far away, or the audio interface. I edit very different material in the same timeline, and quite often there is a clip which is much louder than the others. This is a moment of unease where I quickly have to grab my other controls, then come back to Resolve. This could be facilitated greatly with a quick global audio level control in Resolve via push-wheel for the initial work process, as well as for client presentation.

What are your wishes and ideas about these two actions?

SwansongMedia

Re: Speed Editor wheel push actions

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 4:54 pm

There's already a keyboard shortcut to get to the Cut page so I'd see it as a bit of a waste to use the wheel click for something that you wouldn't need all that often. I'd rather see it as something like the razor cut.
Resolve Studio 17.1.1
CentOS 7.3
Asus Z87, Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz, 24 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (450.66, supports CUDA 11.0). Old system but runs Resolve remarkably well!

filmfabrik

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 9:54 am

Close Up

YPOS + Wheel --> YPOS
YPOS + Wheel pushed --> XPOS

that would be great!
MacBook i9 (2019)/AMD Radeon Pro 5500M/RX 580 eGPU/ShuttlePro2/logickeyboard Resolve/intensity shuttle thunderbolt/Speed Editor/Micro Panel/Stream Deck XL/ATEM mini & ISO extreme
English is not my mother tongue...

Phil999

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 4:54 pm

filmfabrik wrote:YPOS + Wheel pushed --> XPOS

excellent idea.

Indeed there could be many more secondary push wheel actions in combination with buttons.

Glenn Sakatch

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 3:52 pm

Here is a novel idea...let the users decide! Quit telling us how we should work, and let us map items for how we actually work.

Tom Early

PostMon Apr 19, 2021 1:07 am

Glenn Sakatch wrote:Here is a novel idea...let the users decide! Quit telling us how we should work, and let us map items for how we actually work.

Exactly.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Phil999

PostMon Apr 19, 2021 4:18 am

while I would certainly welcome custom mappings, from the engineer's and software developer's standpoint it may be too much of a risk to break current functionality, and therefore it's easier to have a fixed mapping. With this discussion I just wanted to collect ideas of what functionality is best for the wheel. I trust the developers know what's best, and that they possibly already work on functionality expansion to other pages, especially for the Edit page.

And, who knows, one day there may be even user assignable mappings. Of course that would be nice.

Return to DaVinci Resolve