Option to remove all audio channels in clip attributes

• Author

elkins.alex

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 11:31 am

When changing the clip attributes of a source clip/clips we are able to delete or re-order audio channels. However, it's not possible to delete ALL audio channels. At least one has to remain. Clicking the bin icon has no effect if there is only a single audio channel present.

This is frustrating when, for instance, an entire shoot is recorded in slow motion without sound but the camera still records empty audio tracks.

Screenshot 2021-04-15 at 12.29.44.png
Unable to delete channel 1
Screenshot 2021-04-15 at 12.29.44.png (31.97 KiB) Viewed 4747 times

Jim Simon

Re: Option to remove all audio channels in clip attributes

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 5:57 pm

Given that we've long been able to add just the video portion of a clip to a timeline, I don't see this as a terribly important thing. There's about 100 things I'd much rather see BMD work on before this.

That said, it would be a welcome addition to the feature set.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

dariobigi

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 6:09 pm

One click of turning off your audio assignment channel does what you ask. SOP in all NLEs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dario Bigi, Colorist
http://dariobigi.com
New York
C: 1-646-436-4600

HPz840 - 2x 14 Core 2.6GHz - 64GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
2x RTX 2080Ti (SD 472.84)
Resolve Studio 17.4.6
Decklink 4K Extreme (12.2.2)
FSI CM250
Panasonic FZ1000
Mini Panel

elkins.alex

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 2:34 pm

dariobigi wrote:One click of turning off your audio assignment channel does what you ask. SOP in all NLEs

It’s not one click though. If you load a clip that doesn’t have audio into the source viewer (eg a still image or some motion graphics) the audio track destination resets itself, meaning that next time you load a clip you have to toggle the audio destination off again. So maybe 100+ extra clicks per day? Sometimes a lot more? Plus all the additional clicking you then have to do when you have a clip with audio you do want. And the fact that there’s no ‘toggle all audio destinations on/off shortcut’ to make all this a bit faster.

I’m not asking for something radical here. It’s something that every other NLE does already.
Last edited by elkins.alex on Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Early

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 10:41 pm

+1

this should be simple to implement, and anything that means that edits flow more smoothly without having to pause to edit video only is only going to be a good thing.

In the real world you'll likely drag or edit the clip in, realise it has audio that you'll never need, then redo the operation as video only. And this doesn't just happen with slo-mo clips, it can be anything rendered/created with audio channels that doesn't actually have any, including GFX.

Like I said this should be a simple fix, so why should I have to go through unnecessary hassles just because other features that will take far more effort to code are deemed more important? Improvements can come in small increments as well as big ones, I really don't see why anyone should object to this or suggest a workaround that should never be needed.

Not sure about Avid but this feature already exists in both Premiere and FCPX, and is certainly something that should be standard.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

elkins.alex

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 3:04 pm

Tom Early wrote:Improvements can come in small increments as well as big ones, I really don't see why anyone should object to this or suggest a workaround that should never be needed.

My thoughts exactly Tom. There is a very negative tendency on this forum for people to respond to straightforward feature requests with work arounds (sometimes quite long winded ones) or with an “I don’t need that as much as I need X”.

AndrewKeil

PostMon Apr 19, 2021 3:32 pm

+1

As long as the audio was retained in the file so that you could go back into the clip attributes and restore the audio at any time, then great. Any removed audio tracks could just be greyed out in clip attributes audio window.

This really is a no brainer, and as others have said it's been in PPro and FCPX for some time. I have no need for the audio track on Drone footage and neither does anyone else, and changing audio attributes when ingesting saves me the hassle of remembering workarounds for specific clips in my media pool.

ecpcorran

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 12:11 am

From the perspective of someone whose primary interest is editing music videos, this feature would be greatly appreciated.

MargayAndBinturong

PostTue Nov 16, 2021 8:27 pm

+1 We edit product videos partially shot in a warehouse with noise and unprofessional banter. Would love to select only those clips in Media panel, and mute/delete audio for those clips only.

Also: I'm a self-taught editor of one year, so if anyone wants to flame me for not knowing how to mute just a few source clips without muting the whole timeline or DaVinci interface, please indulge. I would love to hear how easy this is to script in handbrake. Sort of joking/halfway serious.

Charles Bennett

PostWed Nov 17, 2021 11:28 pm

Micah, in the Edit page with the clips unlinked select the desired audio part of the clip and press D to mute it.
This is what you will see. When you have done all your clips you can turn the linking on again.
Attachments
Muted Clip Audio.jpg
Muted Clip Audio.jpg (82.97 KiB) Viewed 4155 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Charles Bennett

PostWed Nov 17, 2021 11:49 pm

Alternatively, you can just drag the video part of those clips from the preview window to the timeline.
Attachments
Drag Picture Only to the Timeline.jpg
Drag Picture Only to the Timeline.jpg (298.89 KiB) Viewed 4144 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Philipp Glaninger

PostWed Apr 13, 2022 9:00 am

+1

While it is true that there are many ways to circumvent the issue, I will give this request a big +1

It would be a great way to keep my workflow free of those micro-interruptions, since right now keeping track of useless Audio clips it is occupying way too much of my attention while editing.
Last edited by Philipp Glaninger on Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resolve Studio 18.x / i7 6700k / Windows 10 (64GB Ram) / GeForce GTX 1080TI 11GB / Tangent Wave Tablet / 3 Monitors + 1 Reference Monitor (by Intensity Pro)

MaxFilms

PostSun Jul 10, 2022 11:15 am

+1

PedjaS

PostSun Oct 08, 2023 9:57 am

+1

transon

PostTue Oct 31, 2023 9:19 pm

+1

I get canon footage all the time with 4 dead audio channels. Do I know how to mute, sure. Do I know how to lengthen my day by taking every clip into viewer first and only then dragging the alternate icon to the timeline, yes. But it would be simpler if I could either: A) use clip attributes to delete all audio channels (not leave the last one), or B) in any other way mass delete all audio since they are empty channels that just annoy me. I am editing video only here to music, I never need any of this in this workflow I repeat it very often.

MaxFilms

PostFri Jan 19, 2024 5:41 pm

+1

Marc Wielage

PostSat Jan 20, 2024 3:10 am

Charles Bennett wrote:Alternatively, you can just drag the video part of those clips from the preview window to the timeline.

That's exactly my answer as well.

Maybe a better question is to ask the camera manufacturers, "why don't you make it possible to shoot picture with no sound, and turn the audio channels off?"
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

MaxFilms

PostSat Jan 20, 2024 8:08 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
Charles Bennett wrote:Alternatively, you can just drag the video part of those clips from the preview window to the timeline.

That's exactly my answer as well.

Yeah, that works for one clip and if I load it into the preview before dragging it into the timeline. But what if I want to drag multiple clips from the media browser into my timeline?

quote="Marc Wielage"]
Maybe a better question is to ask the camera manufacturers, "why don't you make it possible to shoot picture with no sound, and turn the audio channels off?"[/quote]

So you think that is the easier way to go? Getting multiple manufacturers to update countless camera firmwares? Also, you might still end up with empty tracks, if you forget to disable them.

It would be such a simple feature, to just allow us deleting all audio channels.

Marc Wielage

PostSat Jan 20, 2024 9:17 am

MaxFilms wrote:So you think that is the easier way to go? Getting multiple manufacturers to update countless camera firmwares? Also, you might still end up with empty tracks, if you forget to disable them.

What I'd do is just add the file to the timeline while holding down Option, which I think I've done for about 10 years.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Tom Early

PostSat Jan 20, 2024 2:43 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
MaxFilms wrote:So you think that is the easier way to go? Getting multiple manufacturers to update countless camera firmwares? Also, you might still end up with empty tracks, if you forget to disable them.

What I'd do is just add the file to the timeline while holding down Option, which I think I've done for about 10 years.

Yes but before you do that you'll always be dragging it normally, see that it has audio and then have to return to the bin and drag again, this time holding the Option key. You shouldn't have to do this.

Edit: also if you use the timeline overlay controls, option-drag will have no effect, so you'll have to delete the audio afterwards
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests