Support the AV1 codec (and open-source codecs)

• Author

Videoneth

• Warnings: 1

Support the AV1 codec (and open-source codecs)

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 3:51 pm

All in the title.

I got a video file from someone to edit, I dragged it in Resolve (17.1.1 Windows 10), and only the audio appeared :/ I get them more and more now.

Another file I have to transcode before I can start to work with it.

And for some reason, I can't open VP9 file too now (I had success with that before, I don't know why).

I'm fine by not having this flexibility for the export, but I really want to be able to skip this transcoding process. It's time consuming and disk space consuming if I want to preserve 100% of the original file.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AV1

AOMedia Video 1 (AV1) is an open, royalty-free video coding format initially designed for video transmissions over the Internet. It was developed as a successor to VP9 by the Alliance for Open Media (AOMedia),[2] a consortium founded in 2015 that includes semiconductor firms, video on demand providers, video content producers, software development companies and web browser vendors. The AV1 bitstream specification includes a reference video codec.[1] In 2018 Facebook conducted testing that approximates real world conditions, the AV1 reference encoder achieved 34%, 46.2% and 50.3% higher data compression than libvpx-vp9, x264 high profile, and x264 main profile respectively.

Like VP9, but unlike H.264/AVC and HEVC, AV1 has a royalty-free licensing model that does not hinder adoption in open-source projects
Attachments
bg.jpg
bg.jpg (192.14 KiB) Viewed 7542 times
AV1.jpg
AV1.jpg (19.05 KiB) Viewed 7547 times
Windows 10
nVidia 3090 - 537.42

Jim Simon

Re: Support the AV1 codec (and open-source codecs)

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 4:54 pm

Resolve does seem to focus more on professional or camera-based codecs. I'm kind of in agreement with that philosophy, so I would vote no here.

There are plenty of consumer editors that can handle 'delivery' formats.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Videoneth

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 8:23 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Resolve does seem to focus more on professional or camera-based codecs. I'm kind of in agreement with that philosophy, so I would vote no here.

lol again with the imaginary vote.

There is no such thing of a "delivery format". By the same logic, Resolve shouldn't be able to open a h264 video file because everything is already baked in... you know, "ready to go", "delivered", "exported" (whatever you want to call it) by the camera.

I can have this kind of weird logic too. Resolve is free, Sony Vegas Pro is not. Resolve is a "consumer editor", Vegas pro is for... Pro, because it's not free, and there is "Pro" in the name. Therefore Resolve is for "non-pros" and needs to be able to read video encoded with the AV1 codec. Thanks BMD.

Anyway.

We (others) already had this discussion about "professional codecs" (for those who are catching up)

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=131091

RitterRunkel wrote:Consumer vs. professional. Well ... isn't it rather unprofessional not to support basic open formats. To present a video to a non-video-nerdy customer it seems preferable to use Webm (VP9+Opus). Currently it is the one format that is supported and playable directly e.g. via browser, while not relying on outdated codecs like H.264. At least until AV1 is usable.

And here : viewtopic.php?f=33&t=132294

roger.magnusson wrote:
Jim Simon wrote:MKV isn't sufficiently used in professional production to warrant the expenditure of resources.
You never really provide any rationale or proof to support your views. FFV1 in MKV is used a lot for video archiving purposes.
You can use MKV in stand-alone Fusion if you configure the FFmpeg support that Fusion has.

Resolve already uses FFmpeg for some stuff so that might be a shortcut for MKV support if they don't want to implement it using custom code.

Sorry, there is nothing to vote on here ;) Your "blank vote" is duly noted and put in the trash bin.
Hey, I vote Yes :geek:

TONS of "pros" want to be able to do what the feature request is about. TOOOOONS. You know why? Because nobody in its right mind would say something like : "I don't want to be able to open a particular video file", that's what you're saying.

Jim Simon wrote:MKV isn't sufficiently used in professional production to warrant the expenditure of resources.

AGAIN, Let BMD manage their resources. They don't need you to tell them what is important or not especially if the requested feature doesn't break anything, doesn't take away anything, and doesn't change any paradigm, or workflow, or whatever.

Don't worry, they are looking at your feature requests too, the ones you're constantly bumping ;)
There is no competition here.
Windows 10
nVidia 3090 - 537.42

Rob Smith

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 12:10 pm

I know I have no vote, but I vote YES to AV1 support :)

Chrome has just enabled AV1 support for Version 90.0.4430.72, youtube has some videos that already use AV1, there's talk of 30% better compression vs h.265, etc.

Only downside would seem to be an only software encoding solution, so rendering times might take a hit. Would very much like it if Resolve would be ahead of the curve for people looking to maximise their quality options.

Cheers.

C.T. Bell

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 1:28 pm

+1
Resolve 18.0.4
Ryzen 2700x - 8 core
GTX 1070ti 8gb
64 Gig ram @
1tb WD SN750 NVME SSD
Win 11

Videoneth

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 5:17 pm

Rob Smith wrote:I know I have no vote, but I vote YES to AV1 support :)

Chrome has just enabled AV1 support for Version 90.0.4430.72, youtube has some videos that already use AV1, there's talk of 30% better compression vs h.265, etc.

Only downside would seem to be an only software encoding solution, so rendering times might take a hit. Would very much like it if Resolve would be ahead of the curve for people looking to maximise their quality options.

Cheers.

I'm curious if Brave (based on Chrome) has it enabled too.. I have to test.

For the encoding part it's not too much of a problem (it would be a good addition anyway), youtube accepts ProRes, Cineform and DNxHR (if someone wants the top quality.... youtube re-encode it anyway.)

The feature request is mostly to be able to open these file encoded with open-source codecs (and containers like MKV, WebM, etc) so we can bypass the transcoding part and concentrate on the edits.
Windows 10
nVidia 3090 - 537.42

Videoneth

PostWed May 12, 2021 1:02 pm

What's new in DaVinci Resolve 17.2
• Support for decoding AV1 clips on Windows.
• Accelerated AV1 decodes on supported Intel, NVIDIA and AMD platforms.
• Support for decoding MKV clips.

EXCELLENT, I can't test it right now, but this is GREAT if it works. Thank you BMD! Especially for the AV1 codec support!

Finally, I'm gonna be able to use the video files I get without wasting time with transcoding, and wasting space. Concentrate on the edit and the creativity.

Jim said :

Hey, I guess Resolve became a "consumer editor" overnight ;)

EDIT:
I tested some MKV files, with VP9/AV1 in mp4/mkv containers... it works very well! I really happy!
It saves me sooo much time and disk space!!!
Windows 10
nVidia 3090 - 537.42

bclontz

PostWed May 12, 2021 4:00 pm

Wow, I am glad to see the support for AV1 and MKV as well. Thanks Blackmagic!

DesertCookie

PostSat Jul 16, 2022 10:42 am

I just tried to import some AV1 files in Resolve 18 beta 1 and was not able to import them. Strange.

MKV, SVT-AV1

aquinox

PostTue Nov 01, 2022 5:06 pm

yes pleasee
AMD3700x
32GB DDR4
RTX2060 super
SSD
Win10

Time wasted due to resolve bugs: 38 hours (and counting.. just used for 6 months)
Time wasted due to Premiere bugs: 108 hrs (final)

Bink19th

PostThu May 25, 2023 3:06 am

Upon trying to import an AV1 encoded file today, it appears it is not (yet) supported under Linux, as of Resolve Studio 18.1.4 build 9. Only the audio (PCM) came in, much like the OP's example.
Ryzen 9 5900X 64GB RAM, NVidia RTX A4000, EndeavourOS
Davinci Resolve Studio 18.1.4 BUILD 9

Bink19th

PostThu May 25, 2023 3:14 am

Reviewing the version history, it seems strange I couldn't import it actually. Apparently AV1 decode support for Linux was added in 17.3:

What's new in DaVinci Resolve 17.3
  • Support for decoding AV1 clips on Mac OS and Linux.
  • Hardware accelerated AV1 decodes on NVIDIA graphics in Linux.
Ryzen 9 5900X 64GB RAM, NVidia RTX A4000, EndeavourOS
Davinci Resolve Studio 18.1.4 BUILD 9

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostMon May 29, 2023 9:12 am

Hi David

From our tests in DaVinci Resolve 18.0 and 18.5 beta, hardware accelerated AV1 decodes work on CentOS 7.3 and Rocky Linux 8.6. Our tests cover consumer cards like RTX 3080 and Quadros like RTX A6000, using NVIDIA GPU 525.116.x drivers.

If you continue seeing an issue with decoding AV1, you may try the following:
a. check if the video can be imported and played in other operating systems - both on Resolve and other video players.
b. download standard AV1 test sample clips - e.g http://download.opencontent.netflix.com/?prefix=AV1/ - and check if Resolve's behavior of importing only audio is limited to this clip.

We will need access to the following info and diagnostic files to check further.
• DaVinci Resolve diagnostic logs (from the CentOS applications menu, under DaVinci Resolve) - captured after an import operation.
• a sample clip that does not import as video in DaVinci Resolve.
• more detail - the exact DaVinci Resolve version & build from DaVinci Resolve > About menu, OS, hardware and drivers. The FAQs are a good starting point for this.

Please add the requested files to a file sharing site, enable anonymous access and post a shared URL in your response along with the info requested so we can take a look.

Regards
Shrinivas

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests