Blackmagic approved CFast card skipping frames-overheating?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Matthias Wenigwieser

Blackmagic approved CFast card skipping frames-overheating?

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 8:21 pm

Shooting on my new Blackmagic 6K Pro with my Blackmagic approved Wise CFA-10240 3500X 1TB CFast 2.0 card two days ago, after about 45 minutes of intermittent shooting (BRAW 6K 5:1, 24 fps), the camera stopped recording after 1-2 seconds with a white exclamation mark in ared circle flashing next to the storage media icon which, from what I read, indicates that it was skipping frames. I always format the card in camera. I'm not excatly sure how much actual footage I had at this point, but it was less than 30 minutes.

So I dropped the compression to BRAW 6K 8:1, 24 fps with the same result. I took out the CFast card and it was hot to the touch (not "ouch, I burnt myself!" hot, but hot like a laptop that's working hard but still functioning). So I let it cool off outside the camera for about 10 minutes or so and afterwards it worked fine again.

Whether the CFast card itself was too hot or the camera, I don't know. Maybe oit was something else entirely. I was shooting at night in a room with just a few lights on, none aimed at the camera or close to it (I was using the Sigma 18-35mm at 18mm from farther away for a wider shot) and the inside temp was 22 C, so rather cool.

I don't think this is supposed to happen. I explicitly spent around 1000 dollars for an approved storage medium that is supposed to work well with this camera and if the barely one month old equipment is quitting on me due to overheating after less than an hour of shooting, that is simply unacceptable.

So, where do I go from here? Do I send the CFast card back and if so, how do I prove that it's faulty when it is obviously perfectly fine in a short test? Do I send the camera back? How do I approach something like this?

Matthias

Robert Niessner

Re: Blackmagic approved CFast card skipping frames-overheati

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 3:13 am

Matthias, I think it’s reasonable to ask the reseller for an exchange.
From what you described here it seems likely to be that the card is overheating.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Travis Hodgkinson

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 12:38 pm

Hey bud is it the latest cfast card? Does it have the letter C at the top right hand corner of the sticker?

They’ve released newer cards..
Freelance Camera Op & Cinematographer based in Brisbane, Australia.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Weapons: URSA 12K + Canon XF605 + Hero 10 + Pocket 6K Pro
Optics: DZO Pictor Zooms + SLR Magic Hyper Prime + Tokina Cinema Zoom

Matthias Wenigwieser

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 11:25 pm

Travis Hodgkinson wrote:Hey bud is it the latest cfast card? Does it have the letter C at the top right hand corner of the sticker?

Yes it does. Right-hand upper corner of the sticker on the back of the card it has a "C". Is that a good or a bad sign? It was advertised as being approved for Blackmagic cameras and is in BM list of approved media.

Matthias

Matthias Wenigwieser

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 11:30 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:Matthias, I think it’s reasonable to ask the reseller for an exchange.
From what you described here it seems likely to be that the card is overheating.

Thank you. I will contact the store.

Matthias

jonstatt

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 6:08 am

Travis Hodgkinson wrote:Hey bud is it the latest cfast card? Does it have the letter C at the top right hand corner of the sticker?

They may have gone backwards with the new type! I have a Wise non C and just did an identical 5:1 test for over 45 minutes, no skipped and not that hot but definitely rather warm. Where do Wise document the C type? I can't see it for some reason on their website.

Tests on the PC show sustained writes never dropping below 295MB/s even when the card is almost full. They seem to be good cards. Not sure what the C version changes.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Travis Hodgkinson

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 2:51 pm

Apologies for the late reply.

I was in contact with a rep from Wise. They mentioned the new cards. Also deep diving on the Wise site, I found mention of the newer models.

I don't know how these compare to Angelbirds, but they should be ok seeing as they're on the approved list.
Freelance Camera Op & Cinematographer based in Brisbane, Australia.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Weapons: URSA 12K + Canon XF605 + Hero 10 + Pocket 6K Pro
Optics: DZO Pictor Zooms + SLR Magic Hyper Prime + Tokina Cinema Zoom

Return to Cinematography