ratio and frame guides : help a film student!

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

chloee13

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 12:10 pm

Hello!
(sorry in advance for my english)
i am a film student and i get to shoot with a Black magic Ursa mini pro 4.6K for the first time, but i am a beginner and i have some questions :
i want to record with a 16:9 ratio, but with 1:1 frame guides that will just help me but not affect the shot i am recording, i want the shot to be in 16/9
how can i do that? First, how do i select 16:9 ratio and then how do i select 1:1 frame guides?
thank you so much if you can help me :)

John Brawley

Re: ratio and frame guides : help a film student!

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 6:53 pm

Welcome.

This should be easy to do. Which camera are you using ?

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

chloee13

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 7:09 pm

Black magic Ursa mini pro 4.6K!

John Brawley

Re: Blackmagic Design Wireless System

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 8:35 pm

chloee13 wrote:Black magic Ursa mini pro 4.6K!

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't see that up there.

OK, you can go to the record page and choose a 16:9 format. The highest resolution is 4608x2592 which is a 16:9 format. As per page 80 of the manual.

THEN

Then you'd use the frame guides (page 61 of the manual) to choose 1:1, though I'm not so sure it's possible on the older builds of the URSA Mini Pro 4.6K. I don't have one with me to check right now.

If it works though, the frame guide is just for the operator to frame by, but you're still always recording the "record" format.

Hope that works out for you.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Uli Plank

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 4:39 am

Mine is sitting right next to me and I checked: yes, there are 1:1 frame guides. Firmware is 6.9.4.
But the sides of your image will be darkened considerably.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

timbutt2

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 5:11 am

Uli Plank wrote:Mine is sitting right next to me and I checked: yes, there are 1:1 frame guides. Firmware is 6.9.4.
But the sides of your image will be darkened considerably.

Well, you could have the frame guides, but make the opacity 25% so that the sides aren't too dark.
Ironically, the OG UMP has 1:1 frame guides. The G2 still doesn't. The OG UMP also has custom frame guides that means just like the Pockets. The G2 still doesn't.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

chloee13

Re: Blackmagic Design Wireless System

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 12:54 pm

thank you all for you answer!

unfortunately i can't find the 1:1 frames guides, i only have the choice between 2:40:1 , 2:39:1 , 2:35:1 , 2:1 , 1:85:1 , 16:9 , 14:9 and 4:3.
And i don't know if it's possible to have customable frames guides

am i in the wrong setting?

carlomacchiavello

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 1:47 pm

chloee13 wrote:thank you all for you answer!

unfortunately i can't find the 1:1 frames guides, i only have the choice between 2:40:1 , 2:39:1 , 2:35:1 , 2:1 , 1:85:1 , 16:9 , 14:9 and 4:3.

Check the firmware of camera, it’s possible that you have a camera with old firmware. Custom frames guide is recent addition, if I remember correctly.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Ellory Yu

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 9:36 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:

Check the firmware of camera, it’s possible that you have a camera with old firmware. Custom frames guide is recent addition, if I remember correctly.

The latest or last firmware for the Ursa Mini Pro 4.6K G2 is 6.5.1. I don't think this has the 1:1 and custom frame guides. Is there a newer one for the G2?
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

timbutt2

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 9:46 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:
carlomacchiavello wrote:

The latest or last firmware for the Ursa Mini Pro 4.6K G2 is 6.5.1. I don't think this has the 1:1 and custom frame guides. Is there a newer one for the G2?

No, the G2 hasn't had an update in over 1.5 years. It is kind of forgotten and unloved by Blackmagic Design.

Uli Plank

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 11:32 pm

Well, I wrote my firmware version. Could it be that BM took the feature away in a newer version? Weird.
You can go back in firmware with these cameras.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Ellory Yu

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 6:15 am

Uli Plank wrote:Well, I wrote my firmware version. Could it be that BM took the feature away in a newer version? Weird.

That’s confusing. Is your UMP the G1 or G2? If it’s the G1, it can be that BMD has a newer firmware version for the G1 and no update on G2.
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Ellory Yu

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 7:09 am

Ellory Yu wrote:
Uli Plank wrote:Well, I wrote my firmware version. Could it be that BM took the feature away in a newer version? Weird.

That’s confusing. Is your UMP the G1 or G2? If it’s the G1, it can be that BMD has a newer firmware version for the G1 and no update on G2.

I did some research on the firmware. The UMP G1 most latest firmware update is 6.9.4 which has the 1:1 and custom frame guides plus many other updates. The UMP G2, which is newer, has its latest firmware version 6.5.1 which does not have the 1:1 and custom frame guides plus many other updates that went into the G1 model.

Like Tim said, the G2 has not received an update in 1.5 years and the G1 seem to have a more updated functionality. That is total BS from BMD. I guess you’re better off buying a used UMP G1 and update it with firmware 6.9.4 and have the extra functionality for cheaper than buying the G2 which supposedly is still being marketed and sold.

What the heck is wrong with this picture, BMD? Why is there no love for the UMP G2??? We G2 owners and potential G2 buyers need an explanation. Isn’t G2 supposed to be everything the G1 has plus many more, not the other way around? This does not compute!

carlomacchiavello

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 8:21 am

Ellory Yu wrote:
Ellory Yu wrote:

I did some research on the firmware. The UMP G1 most latest firmware update is 6.9.4 which has the 1:1 and custom frame guides plus many other updates. The UMP G2, which is newer, has its latest firmware version 6.5.1 which does not have the 1:1 and custom frame guides plus many other updates that went into the G1 model.

Like Tim said, the G2 has not received an update in 1.5 years and the G1 seem to have a more updated functionality. That is total BS from BMD. I guess you’re better off buying a used UMP G1 and update it with firmware 6.9.4 and have the extra functionality for cheaper than buying the G2 which supposedly is still being marketed and sold.

What the heck is wrong with this picture, BMD? Why is there no love for the UMP G2??? We G2 owners and potential G2 buyers need an explanation. Isn’t G2 supposed to be everything the G1 has plus many more, not the other way around? This does not compute!
To be honest I keep G1 to 6.0 firmware be cause I not need a newer feature but I want to keep braw and cdng option on same camera.
I did many test about picture quality of braw of old 6.0 and last 6.9.4 and I did same braw quality on controlled shooting, but if I need the option of cdng I can keep it.
Other update are not mandatory for me.
For frame guide I ever used a simple screen protector with a little mark over.
I think (I hope) Blackmagic Design will release newer firmware for all ursa mini pro line with additional compression (Q3 and 18:1), cs5, and align all feature at same time.
But at this time we have what we have.

timbutt2

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 5:46 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:
Ellory Yu wrote:

Listen, I still love my G2. It's my workhorse. Am I disappointed that there has been no firmware updates in over 1.5 years? Sure, but that doesn't take away how great the camera is. The reality is I rarely use the custom frame guides. I have the Pocket 6K and almost never use them.

The only update I care about for the G2 at this point is Color Science 5 and possibly those new BRAW compressions for Constant Quality. I'd love to have Q1 and Q3 options.

Ellory Yu

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 7:25 pm

timbutt2 wrote:Listen, I still love my G2. It's my workhorse. Am I disappointed that there has been no firmware updates in over 1.5 years? Sure, but that doesn't take away how great the camera is. The reality is I rarely use the custom frame guides. I have the Pocket 6K and almost never use them.

The only update I care about for the G2 at this point is Color Science 5 and possibly those new BRAW compressions for Constant Quality. I'd love to have Q1 and Q3 options.

Well, I want them too. I want them all.

Uli Plank

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 12:37 am

Well, actually the current constant Q data rates already overlap, depending on image content. I suppose the new ones were mainly developed for the 12K model with it's much higher amount of RAW data. I don't miss them and I enjoy the workhorse (G1).

I grew up with shoulder cameras, from mechanical Arris to electronic Sonys, and I always thought that this line of BM cameras is the right thing. I don't like to bolt on dozens of elements to make a camera complete. I still have my original pocket, but that is used with just a tiny Kern Switar lens and stays a true pocket camera. A few batteries in the pocket or a bigger one with a smooth cable are enough.

Return to Cinematography