Resizing Issue - major issue - Bug?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Kicheche

Resizing Issue - major issue - Bug?

PostMon Mar 29, 2021 2:25 pm

Hi, was wondering if we can get help from BM on this.

I work in the IMAX format. Currently editing in 6144x4608, using 8K footage. Eventually will output a 8K 3:2 and 4:3 master. 80% of the clips use shot extensions that I have done in Colour by digitally extending the original plate vertically to be 4:3.

But I have a problem since upgrading to 17.

1. when placing the clip on the timeline 6144x4608, I use project settings set to "scale entire clip to fit", I then go into colour, change Input size to Node size, move the clip down to the bottom of the frame. Then rebuild the sky to accommodate the 3:2 or 4:3 versions.

2. On upgrading to 17, all my 4:3 are shots extensions are now cropped to the original input size of the clip giving me black bars on top and bottom. I can't see the the extension work I have done.

3. To replicate my error. Create a timeline with the above dimensions. Place a 16;9 clip on the timeline using project scaling at "Scale entire image to fit). So you have black on top and bottom. In colour, change the move function from "input size" to "node size", then move the clip to the bottom of the frame. Next try adding a serial node, mask it, and add solid colour using the sky colour to extend to the top of the 4:3 frame. In 17.1 the clip mask to what ever the original file input size/aspect ratio. Giving me a 16:9 letterboxed frame.

I can't extend the shot anymore or see the work I have done.

Help would be appreciated.

Michael
Michael Dalton

Kicheche

Re: Resizing Issue - major issue - Bug?

PostTue Mar 30, 2021 2:01 am

Blackmagic? Any ideas on this?
Michael Dalton

Kicheche

PostThu Apr 01, 2021 1:41 pm

Blackmagic, is there someone there who can give comment?
Michael Dalton

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 2:42 am

Instead of "Scale entire clip to fit", you can use "Full Frame with crop", and then use Input sizing to zoom as you like.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Kicheche

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 5:59 pm

Rohit thanks very much. I had done the vast majority of work using SCALE TO FIT, so was hoping for the continuity in the version. This solution at least means I can save a lot of my work which is great.
Michael Dalton

Return to DaVinci Resolve