Toggle Source and Record side + proper track patching

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

anikolic

Toggle Source and Record side + proper track patching

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 12:47 pm

I’ve just spent two minutes doing something in Resolve that would only take only a few seconds in MC with its ability to toggle timelines between the source and record sides.

All I wanted to do is copy the subtitles from one sequence to a re-edited version of that same sequence. All the changes to the cut happened at the start of the sequence so what I would do in MC is simply set ‘In Points’ on both sequences at the point from which they are identical and then ‘overwrite’ the subtitles from the source side to the record side.

With Resolve it took probably 2 minutes. Yes copy and paste works just as quickly, but you don’t have the same control over the tracks. The problem was that when I pasted the subtitles the gap between the ‘In Point’ that I’ve set (which is the point where both sequences start to align) and the first subtitle was ignored and the first subtitle landed at the ‘In Point’ in the record sequence. Then I had to measure the duration between the in point and the first title in the source sequence and then push the titles on the record side to match this duration. And then I had to double and triple check that everything was still in sync.

I know that this has been discussed before, but I want to plead again for the ability to toggle between source and record sides as well as the ability to do proper track patching.

These are the only big features that I really miss from MC.

Please, please implement this in the next version of Resolve! It is so helpful.

And everybody who wants this please add your comment to this thread so that the good people at Blackmagic know that I am not the only one that wants this feature. (cue not a single comment :roll: ).

Thanks!
A

P.S.
If you didn’t quite get what toggle source record does here is an explanation from BrianDors:

Yes, in resolve you can load sequences into the source and splice them into the timeline, but what I am referring to is actually swapping the actual timeline between the source and the "record" side. I'm trying to really not compare Resolve to Avid, but it really drives down my point I said before.... Forgive me.

You have the option in MC to toggle the actual timeline between the source timeline and record timeline. The record timeline shows the playhead in blue, while the source timeline shows the play head in green.

I believe this is a strengthening request for Resolve as it allows for greater and more importantly pinpointed control over anything loaded into the source monitor instead of scrubbing through the tiny window of the source. Also it allows you to pick what tracks or portions you want from the source and splice that into the timeline.

It is extremely helpful when producers are let's say.. "Can you take this section of v2 and put it there in v3?"

You can load that sequence into the source, toggle the timeline over, mark the clip you want or even a full section of the source timeline and then splice it (The specific blocks or in to out) right onto your timeline on whatever tracks you wan them to land on.

John Paines

Re: Toggle Source and Record side + proper track patching

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 2:20 pm

This will be difficult for non-Avid users to visualize, possibly including the developers. If you really want to sell the idea, post a video. They do listen (and watch).

Note also that insert/overwrite operations which work with clips and titles, won't work with subtitles at present. I tried an alternate approach in Resolve using the ctrl-pgup command (swap timeline/source), and subtitles are ignored.

Jim Simon

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 2:22 pm

Open both timelines, select from one, drag to the other.

Done.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

John Paines

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 2:25 pm

Not. Done.

You're still fighting a losing war against this proposed design. It's a different process, with patching. This is why I suggested he post a video.

anikolic

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 4:15 pm

Yes, it's difficult to visualise if you are not well versed with Avid.

But because it's such a powerful feature I will try and do a video as soon as soon as I get a minute.

A

anikolic

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 10:01 pm

Here is the video:

Ok, I did not copy the subtitles in the most efficient way possible in Resolve, but it does illustrate my point about the flexibility of the source/record side editing in Avid.

To reinforce my point I also included a third example of a bit more complex edit in Avid.

If you want to go straight to how things work in Avid go to: 2.44

Link

John Paines

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 10:50 pm

If can I say so, you're taking for granted crucial Avid operations, which won't be obvious to Resolve users.

Switching from source to record on the timeline, and the relationship between the two, along with the patching operation, is the crucial thing here, but I don't think it's clear from the video exactly how this feature works. For a Resolve, Premiere or FCP user, it's a completely foreign notion.

Daniel Probst

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 11:04 pm

I want to toggle S/R + patch tracks too... in Avid I use it every day.

Please implement this function...

+1
DR 18.6.5 Studio | AMC Ultimate 2024.02 | AVID Artist DNxIO | HP Z8 G5 Fury, Xeon W7-3465X, 128 GB RAM, RTX ADA 5000, Win11 Pro, Nvidia Geforce 551.61, Desktop Video 12.8, Continuum, Sapphire, Mocha Pro, MonoNodes, Dehancer, Neat Video, Topaz, OmniScope

mattpf

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 12:03 am

+1 as well.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 3:05 am

Have you looked at the Command Page Up function, in Timeline menu.
There is also a Stacked timeline mode in the timeline viewer option selection from the edit toolbar.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Trevor Asquerthian

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 6:18 am

Unless you use Avid you are unlikely to understand just how useful timeline switching and record dominant patching (especially with auto-patching) is.

I’ve just returned one regular gig to Avid after 3.5 seasons of PP/Resolve as their multicam groups finally became editable after creation. Still the best for actual editing IMO.

anikolic

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 11:08 am

Thanks for having a look Peter.

Yes, I have looked at Command Up which I use all the time and stacked timeline which I do no use so often.

The problem is that neither of these options are anywhere near as flexible as Avid's implementation.

On Avid, you can load clips, sequences and the contents of the clipboard onto the Source side. Once there, they are all treated the same (basically like a normal clip). You can then select In and Out points and select which tracks you want to use. You then switch to the Record side and select the In or Out points of where you want the material to go (you only need one, it's normal 3 point editing). And then CRUCIALLY, because Avid has track selection on both Source and Record sides, you can then select which tracks on the source side you want to go to which tracks on the Record side (or if you don't want some tracks you can just deselect them). You have full control. It's exactly like a simple clip on the Source side.

Also the fact that you can load the contents of the Clipboard to the Source side is amazing because the patching function gives you so much more flexibility as to which bits of the copied material you want to paste and to which tracks.

It is especially useful on longform projects when you are restructuring the film. It is so easy to move scenes around or to bring back scenes from older cuts while ignoring old music or old commentary.

I have to agree with Trevor that the actual editing is still best on Avid. And it's all down to source/record side with patching.

I find it amazing that other NLEs have not implemented this because Avid has been the de facto standard for so long (there must be a reason for that).

The problem with Avid is just about everything else. It remains almost unchanged in 20 years. They release a new version of the software and it's main new feature is a 'Live Timeline' which is not even really live.

Blackmagic on the other hand introduce a whole compositing system and a very capable sound editor.

Compared to that implementing Avid's Source/Record with patching is piss easy. And it would, in my eyes, make Resolve the best editing program in the world (before you even consider its grading capabilities).

If this is still not clear, I will try to at some point do another video that has a more detailed look at source/record side.

If somebody else knows a good way of illustrating it, please do so.

A

Trevor Asquerthian

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 7:54 pm

Aleksander

Your explanation worked for me (but then I know what you are explaining). I think you sell Avid’s dev a bit short, although most of the recent improvements have been to match PP.

Trimming, slipping & sliding are unequalled, as are head/tail fades, audio file metadata, interchange with EVS:ProTools and all the stuff you are talking about. Avid is to editing what Resolve (and Baselight & Nucoda)is to grading.

Grading in Avid is *not* great (Baselight plugin excepted) and editing in Resolve is *not* great; but they are both getting there.Theres room for all I think.

Jim Simon

PostMon Mar 11, 2019 5:31 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:There is also a Stacked timeline mode in the timeline viewer option selection from the edit toolbar.

That's what I'm talking about.

I think it uses a different method to achieve the desired end goal. The advantage is that it doesn't require any use of limited resources from BMD. It can be done now.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

gabe67

PostTue Apr 13, 2021 4:31 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Peter Chamberlain wrote:There is also a Stacked timeline mode in the timeline viewer option selection from the edit toolbar.

That's what I'm talking about.

I think it uses a different method to achieve the desired end goal. The advantage is that it doesn't require any use of limited resources from BMD. It can be done now.

I disagree. Stacked timelines offer not nearly the same functionality.

+1 for toggling s/r - And when I open the sequence in the source, it would even only offer me V1 and A1 to splice into my new sequence. Even though there are many tracks in my source sequence. Am I missing something here? I should be able to see all tracks to patch from.
Davinci Resolve Studio 18.5, MacOS Ventura, Macbook Pro M1 Max

Vit Reiter

PostTue Apr 13, 2021 6:05 pm

As far as I know, Avid is the only NLE that works with tracks in the timeline as with clips. In Avid you can apply a filter / effect to an empty track, you can cut an empty track, etc. This has its advantages and disadvantages.

For other NLEs, the timeline is just an environment in which clips must be inserted, and without a clip, the timeline is nothing. I liked that Final Cut Pro 7 called the timeline more precisely Sequence - the environment in which you compose clips.

Therefore, some tools cannot be developed outside of Avid and a different workflow needs to be found.

I also often make the situation with subtitles from the video. I do this by inserting them according to the source timecode of clip, not the timecode timeline. (DaVinci called Record Timecode)
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.6 Studio (macOS Monterey 12.7.4)
Mac Pro 2013, AMD FirePro D700, 64GB RAM

Film Editor, Colorist, DIT, Datalab technician
linkedin.com/in/vít-reiter-film-editor

Misha Aranyshev

PostTue Apr 13, 2021 8:25 pm

anikolic wrote:Here is the video:

Ok, I did not copy the subtitles in the most efficient way possible in Resolve, but it does illustrate my point about the flexibility of the source/record side editing in Avid.

To reinforce my point I also included a third example of a bit more complex edit in Avid.

If you want to go straight to how things work in Avid go to: 2.44

Link

Set in where you need it before you paste. You'd still had to do it if your source sequence was loaded into the viewer.

gabe67

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 11:01 am

Vit Reiter wrote:As far as I know, Avid is the only NLE that works with tracks in the timeline as with clips. In Avid you can apply a filter / effect to an empty track, you can cut an empty track, etc. This has its advantages and disadvantages.

For other NLEs, the timeline is just an environment in which clips must be inserted, and without a clip, the timeline is nothing. I liked that Final Cut Pro 7 called the timeline more precisely Sequence - the environment in which you compose clips.

Therefore, some tools cannot be developed outside of Avid and a different workflow needs to be found.

I also often make the situation with subtitles from the video. I do this by inserting them according to the source timecode of clip, not the timecode timeline. (DaVinci called Record Timecode)

But how do I re-patch let's say V3 from the source sequence to V6 of the record sequence? The source sequence for me would just show up as V1. When I splice it in, ALL the video/audio tracks from the source are automatically created in my record sequence. Annoying..

Vit Reiter

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 11:31 am

gabe67 wrote:
Vit Reiter wrote:I also often make the situation with subtitles from the video. I do this by inserting them according to the source timecode of clip, not the timecode timeline. (DaVinci called Record Timecode)

But how do I re-patch let's say V3 from the source sequence to V6 of the record sequence? The source sequence for me would just show up as V1. When I splice it in, ALL the video/audio tracks from the source are automatically created in my record sequence. Annoying..
I don't know if I understand you well. The Swap timeline / source (command + PgUp) is currently intended for this purpose, which displays the source timeline expanded, not packaged in V1. This will take you to the source timecode of the clip and you will use it in the new timeline to insert captions from the same place as in the source timeline. Because the source timecode of the clip is the same in both timelines.

Trevor Asquerthian

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 1:43 pm

What is missing, I think, is the 'overwrite source sequence as nest/individual clips' toggle that Premiere has (Avid doesn't have the option to edit the source sequence as a nest)

gabe67

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 1:45 pm

Trevor Asquerthian wrote:What is missing, I think, is the 'overwrite source sequence as nest/individual clips' toggle that Premiere has (Avid doesn't have the option to edit the source sequence as a nest)

Yes, that would be cool. Also an option to toggle between source and record timeline. I'd like to use my TAB key for that, just like in Avid. And then they might as well be in different tabs, that really doesn't matter much.

Trevor Asquerthian

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 2:04 pm

gabe67 wrote: Also an option to toggle between source and record timeline. I'd like to use my TAB key for that, just like in Avid.

"Swap timeline and source viewer" does that - and you can overwrite/ insert the nested timeline - then 'decompose in place'

But it's not much use for reusing other timelines as it stands, unless they introduce the PP toggle.

Stacked timelines are better - or copy and paste. Remembering that filler doesn't really exist in Resolve/PP so you will paste from the first clip (rather than including any filler beforehand if you have it).

Have to say I've pretty much abandoned the idea of using Resolve as an editor though... it's good but not really good enough.

John Paines

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 2:50 pm

Trevor Asquerthian wrote:Have to say I've pretty much abandoned the idea of using Resolve as an editor though... it's good but not really good enough.

Without wanting to pile on here, I think there is a fair question of whether, for a full-time editor, the Edit page is "good enough". It's "good enough" to get the work done, but here's wishing there was greater focus on reaching the highest standard for what amounts to the Avid model on the Edit page.

For starters, the Avid feature discussed above, as well as the functionality of stacked timelines in Premiere, not available in Resolve, don't have to discovered or reinvented. They're just begging to be added. I'm told mouse trimming is greatly improved in v17 -- up to and including 16, it can be a frustration -- so that's excellent news, if so.

Vit Reiter

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 6:50 pm

Trevor Asquerthian wrote:"Swap timeline and source viewer" does that - and you can overwrite/ insert the nested timeline - then 'decompose in place'
You do not have to do "Decompose in place" if you insert / overwrite the source clip directly from the timeline in the left preview window. Check the "Decompose Compound Clips on Edit" option in the Edit menu.

But let's say, creating a new timeline from the previous timeline is typically an Avid workflow that editors use due to Avid's limited capabilities. The editor first inserts all the shots into the timeline to view them comfortably. He opens this timeline in the left preview window and compiles a second timeline from it, thus creating a timeline with selected shots, which he also opens in the left preview window and compiles another timeline from it. The assembly is created from a timeline - from a timeline - from a timeline, but this may not be the standard procedure in NLEs other than Avid, when it has options for which you do not have to create an auxiliary timeline.

Trevor Asquerthian

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 11:16 pm

Vit Reiter wrote:You do not have to do "Decompose in place" if you insert / overwrite the source clip directly from the timeline in the left preview window. Check the "Decompose Compound Clips on Edit" option in the Edit menu.

Aha - yes, thanks, that is the function I was looking for (equivalent to the PPro edit as nest / individual clips)

BUT...

there's no way of patching from the source sequence to the record sequence.

Vit Reiter wrote:But let's say, creating a new timeline from the previous timeline is typically an Avid workflow that editors use due to Avid's limited capabilities. The editor first inserts all the shots into the timeline to view them comfortably. He opens this timeline in the left preview window and compiles a second timeline from it, thus creating a timeline with selected shots, which he also opens in the left preview window and compiles another timeline from it. The assembly is created from a timeline - from a timeline - from a timeline, but this may not be the standard procedure in NLEs other than Avid, when it has options for which you do not have to create an auxiliary timeline.

I think you are not understanding how folks edit in Avid. Editing from KEM roll assemblies (itself based on film editing) is one use of timeline to timeline editing. There's a hundred other reasons. The #1 is the 'copy subsequence to source' and then 'edit subsequence from source' - using autopatch and view source timeline in the process.

Sure Avid has it's limitations - effects and titles and CCR being just 3 - but it's still got lots left to steal, particularly when it comes to editing.

Trevor Asquerthian

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 11:21 pm

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sy71wfce2tksg ... h.mp4?dl=0 - my autopatch request to PP from 6 years ago.... still waiting

Vit Reiter

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 2:05 pm

Trevor Asquerthian wrote:I think you are not understanding how folks edit in Avid. Editing from KEM roll assemblies (itself based on film editing) is one use of timeline to timeline editing. There's a hundred other reasons. The #1 is the 'copy subsequence to source' and then 'edit subsequence from source' - using autopatch and view source timeline in the process.
I don't even use it in Avid. I have another workflow. But you're right, working with Destination Track Selectors is problematic at DaVinci.

I'm annoyed that all the tracks that the clip contains are inserted into the timeline, even if there are fewer tracks in the timeline. For example, if you insert a clip with 6x mono audio into the timeline with 2 audio tracks. The timeline automatically creates missing tracks that I don't want to insert. Also, the keyboard shortcuts for Destination Track Selectors do not work well.

What's a good idea in DaVinci (when I want to insert a clip on the timeline) is that I don't have to insert the clip into the left preview window first. Just mark the clip in the browser and specify the destination on the timeline.

gabe67

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 4:28 pm

Vit Reiter wrote:
Trevor Asquerthian wrote:"
But let's say, creating a new timeline from the previous timeline is typically an Avid workflow that editors use due to Avid's limited capabilities. The editor first inserts all the shots into the timeline to view them comfortably. He opens this timeline in the left preview window and compiles a second timeline from it, thus creating a timeline with selected shots, which he also opens in the left preview window and compiles another timeline from it. The assembly is created from a timeline - from a timeline - from a timeline, but this may not be the standard procedure in NLEs other than Avid, when it has options for which you do not have to create an auxiliary timeline.

However this is not the only time where I use this feature. There's many more situations where being able to patch a timeline to another is VERY useful. Just give us the option. Why argue about who uses it when and how..

gabe67

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 4:34 pm

Trevor Asquerthian wrote:I think you are not understanding how folks edit in Avid. Editing from KEM roll assemblies (itself based on film editing) is one use of timeline to timeline editing. There's a hundred other reasons. The #1 is the 'copy subsequence to source' and then 'edit subsequence from source' - using autopatch and view source timeline in the process.

Sure Avid has it's limitations - effects and titles and CCR being just 3 - but it's still got lots left to steal, particularly when it comes to editing.

Exactly. Timeline handling in AVID is unbeaten. I have also never seen such a good Trim Mode as in AVID anywhere else. Let's not even get into bidirectional Trimming, which also seems to be impossible in Resolve.

I also think it's nice to be able to select a gap in the same way I select a clip IN to OUT.

Next thing is the magnets. The selectors in Resolve work differently, which is okey, but the are all over the place depending on the size of the single track which makes it hard to select or deselect them all at once (In Avid you do a shift-drag for that. You can also select all at once, deselect all at once and invert selection.

gabe67

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 4:36 pm

Vit Reiter wrote:
Trevor Asquerthian wrote:What's a good idea in DaVinci (when I want to insert a clip on the timeline) is that I don't have to insert the clip into the left preview window first. Just mark the clip in the browser and specify the destination on the timeline.

Yes, I think resolve is bringing many good ideas to change things up and even makes some stuff easier and faster. No doubt about that. It's just some old school essentials that would also be great to have..

Trevor Asquerthian

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 5:41 pm

Vit Reiter wrote:What's a good idea in DaVinci (when I want to insert a clip on the timeline) is that I don't have to insert the clip into the left preview window first. Just mark the clip in the browser and specify the destination on the timeline.

Edit from bin to timeline? That's been in Avid a *long* time.

Vit Reiter

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 8:17 pm

Trevor Asquerthian wrote:
Vit Reiter wrote:What's a good idea in DaVinci (when I want to insert a clip on the timeline) is that I don't have to insert the clip into the left preview window first. Just mark the clip in the browser and specify the destination on the timeline.

Edit from bin to timeline? That's been in Avid a *long* time.
Really? How long? I've never tried it in Avid. Then I discovered it in DaVinci. I have to try it in Avid when I'm in the studio.

Can I really select a clip in the Browser, press the Insert or Overwrite key and the clip will be inserted into the timeline? Without open it in Preview window?

Vit Reiter

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 8:36 pm

gabe67 wrote:... Just give us the option. Why argue about who uses it when and how..
You need to understand that some workflows are not transferable. Especially not from Avid, which is different from all other NLEs, as I write above. In a new environment, it is necessary to find new workflows rather than insisting on the established ones.

In addition, I do not contradict the fact that DaVinci needs to improve its work on the Edit page. I often write this here and other improvements than just source / record toggle are needed. And if developers create destination selection tools like in Avid, I'll welcome it.

Trevor Asquerthian

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 8:46 am

Vit Reiter wrote:Can I really select a clip in the Browser, press the Insert or Overwrite key and the clip will be inserted into the timeline? Without open it in Preview window?

Yep - you have to enable it in settings.

Also useful for stringing out clips from one camera (although Resolve 'source tape' would remove need for this if it worked in edit page)

How long has it been there? Decades

gabe67

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 12:49 pm

Vit Reiter wrote:
gabe67 wrote:... Just give us the option. Why argue about who uses it when and how..
You need to understand that some workflows are not transferable. Especially not from Avid, which is different from all other NLEs, as I write above. In a new environment, it is necessary to find new workflows rather than insisting on the established ones.

In addition, I do not contradict the fact that DaVinci needs to improve its work on the Edit page. I often write this here and other improvements than just source / record toggle are needed. And if developers create destination selection tools like in Avid, I'll welcome it.

You need to understand that there is no other workflow to do this in Davinci. So I think your argument is pointless. Premiere used to be the same story. It took years of "development" until they finally realised they should implement it. Sometimes it just doesn't make sense to reinvent the wheel when there is no other/better way to do it. Davinci is much better than Premiere, for many reasons. But to be a sophisticated NLE, this is one of the things that need to be implemented. Not for influencer/youtube clips of 3mins but for sophisticated productions it's mandatory. Trust me.

You're tone sounds a little bit like "Mr. Know-It-All". Sorry to say.

Vit Reiter

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 5:44 pm

gabe67 wrote:
Vit Reiter wrote:

You need to understand that there is no other workflow to do this in Davinci. So I think your argument is pointless. Premiere used to be the same story. It took years of "development" until they finally realised they should implement it. Sometimes it just doesn't make sense to reinvent the wheel when there is no other/better way to do it. Davinci is much better than Premiere, for many reasons. But to be a sophisticated NLE, this is one of the things that need to be implemented. Not for influencer/youtube clips of 3mins but for sophisticated productions it's mandatory. Trust me.

You're tone sounds a little bit like "Mr. Know-It-All". Sorry to say.
Oh my boy! Who do you think you are? :D

GrizzlyAK

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 1:47 am

I admit I’ve never used Avid so I’ve never used the functionality being described, but it makes a LOT of sense and appears to be a significant advance in functionality. Sometimes what you don’t know... +1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shane Taylor
Owner, Ion Drift Productions
www.iondriftproductions.com

Resolve Studio V17.4 Build 12 Activation Key
Windows 10 Pro x64
HP Z820, 16 core
32 GB RAM
RTX 2080Ti 11GB
26 TB Storage
OS & Cache on SSD
MOTU Ultralite MK3 Audio Interface

gabe67

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 9:53 am

Vit Reiter wrote:Oh my boy! Who do you think you are? :D

A well versed editor with 15 years of experience who doesn't scream "Not needed" when I don't even seem to understand WHY people need it. And yes, selects are ONE case where you can use this feature. But there are 1000 others. And even with the edit from bin feature you describe, in many cases it STILL makes sense to have a sequence of selects to come back to.

Misha Aranyshev

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 10:40 am

Come on, colleagues, the source to record patching in Resolve is limited. That's a fact.

Vit Reiter

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 2:35 pm

gabe67 wrote:A well versed editor with 15 years of experience who doesn't scream "Not needed" when I don't even seem to understand WHY people need it. And yes, selects are ONE case where you can use this feature. But there are 1000 others...
Read more carefully next time, please. I don't write anything like that. You don't need to rate other members in the discussion that you don't even know about. We only want to talk about DaVinec here.

gabe67

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 9:40 pm

Vit Reiter wrote:
gabe67 wrote:A well versed editor with 15 years of experience who doesn't scream "Not needed" when I don't even seem to understand WHY people need it. And yes, selects are ONE case where you can use this feature. But there are 1000 others...
Read more carefully next time, please. I don't write anything like that. You don't need to rate other members in the discussion that you don't even know about. We only want to talk about DaVinec here.

Well, sorry. I got a bit hung up on your condescending "You need to understand that...". I am never against throwing old habits over board when there's news ones that are obviously better. It's just not the case here. There is no better way. There's no way. If we both agree on that, I think we can stop arguing about it.

Vit Reiter

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 6:53 pm

gabe67 wrote:Well, sorry. I got a bit hung up on your condescending "You need to understand that...". I am never against throwing old habits over board when there's news ones that are obviously better. It's just not the case here. There is no better way. There's no way. If we both agree on that, I think we can stop arguing about it.
I gladly agree. I'm sorry if I chose the wrong terms. It is difficult for me to communicate in a foreign language. I didn't mean it badly.

gabe67

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 1:37 pm

Just wanted to revive this topic and hopes up for Davinci 18 to implement this 8-) :arrow: :mrgreen:

rubefink

PostThu Nov 18, 2021 9:19 pm

+1 would love a more robust track assignment option.

Tilmann Rödiger

PostThu Jan 19, 2023 10:35 am

anikolic wrote:Compared to that implementing Avid's Source/Record with patching is piss easy. And it would, in my eyes, make Resolve the best editing program in the world (before you even consider its grading capabilities).
A

++ 1 !

Rick van den Berg

PostThu Jan 19, 2023 2:50 pm

+1

gabe67

PostSun Apr 23, 2023 10:27 am

Still missing in 18.5

Bummer

Andiobe

PostThu Nov 30, 2023 5:50 am

Come on, team Davinci, add this feature to make many pro editors want to use Resolve more. I'm shocked that this basic functionality (patching between tracks on source and record sides) is still missing. So now I have to waste time searching around on the web for any possible solutions or work arounds. But nothing.

Steve Alexander

PostThu Nov 30, 2023 1:16 pm

+1
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

IanMacdonaldMedia

PostThu Feb 08, 2024 8:04 pm

+1

Maybe a simple compromise it just extending the ability of the "Command Page Up function, in Timeline menu" to include just regular clips in the source monitor as well as compound clips? That would get us most of the way there for me.
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve