Using BRAW in Premiere- Color settings?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Pica2600

Using BRAW in Premiere- Color settings?

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 11:26 pm

I'm using Premiere Pro v14, Adobe CC 2020. I downloaded the Blackmagic RAW 2.0 plugin. It's working- I can see the files as video files on my Mac and they import into Premiere.

My question is (from my cinematographer) - are you able setup BRAW as arri wide gamut and log c in premiere?
It will affect which version of the LUT I use.

How can I change the way the BRAW is imported into (or managed) in Premiere? There is an "ingestion" setting but Arri is not an option.

Thanks!

rNeil H

Re: Using BRAW in Premiere- Color settings?

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 3:28 am

I stopped using the Blackmagic plugin because of constant issues. The Autokroma plugin doesn't cost much.

It always works, and there are a bunch more options including for things like this. And their support is excellent, including the better information on using the BM plug-in.

Color space options include Blackmagic, Rec709 and Rec. 2020, both DCI-P3, Aces AP0 and AP1, a couple CIE and V-Gamut and Canon Cinema Gamut.

They have a range of gamma also from 3 Blackmagic ones through Linear, HLG, PQ, ACEScct, Rec709, V-log, and Canon Log2.

And you can save multiple presets.

About the only things missing are RWG and Arri. Hope we get those soon. Of course contacting them might get it done.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Pica2600

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 7:06 am

Thanks rNeil- I'll give Autokroma a shot. We are always looking for some fix that doesn't exist yet...

Nicolas from Autokroma

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 9:44 am

Hello,

I'm from the Autokroma team which develops BRAW Studio.

For your questions :

are you able setup BRAW as arri wide gamut and log c in premiere?

With BRAW files you have special options called "the Source Settings". In Premiere Pro you will find those controls in the master tab of the Effect Controls Panel, and that for any plugin you are using (BMD plugin or Autokroma BRAW Studio plugin)

With BRAW Studio you can also change those Source Settings directly from the top menu -> window -> Extensions -> "BRAW Studio Panel".

There is a "Gamut" parameter which has the following choices :

• Blackmagic Design
  • Rec.709
  • Rec.2020
  • DCI-P3 D65
  • DCI-P3 Theater
  • ACES AP0
  • ACES AP1
  • CIE 1931 XYZ D65
  • CIE 1931 XYZ D50 (PCS)
  • V-Gamut
  • Canon Cinema Gamut
  • Alexa Wide Gamut

There is a "Gamma" parameter which has the following choices :

• Blackmagic Design Film
  • Blackmagic Design Video
  • Blackmagic Design Extended Video
  • Blackmagic Design Custom
  • Linear
  • Rec.2100 Hybrid Log Gamma
  • Rec.2100 ST2084 (PQ)
  • ACEScct
  • Rec.709
  • V-Log
  • Canon Log2
  • N-Log
  • Log C

With BRAW Studio from the BRAW Studio Panel, you can change the parameters (like Gamut or Gamma but also exposure, ISO, ColorTemp, Tint, ...) on multiple clips at once thanks to special BRAW Studio Presets.

There is nothing for now to have an "ingest" setting which would automatically set a parameter on import (like : set Gamut to -> Alexa Wide Gamut automatically). But we are thinking to add this to BRAW Studio in a future release.

For now, you can import multiple clips, select them all, manage a BRAW Studio Preset to select the settings + value you want to apply, and apply the preset to the multiple clips in one click.

With the BMD Plugin you installed, you can change the Gamut/Gamma but for each clip one by one, and without a dedicated Panel (so you need to go to the master tab of each BRAW clip).

Best,

Nicolas from Autokroma
Autokroma BRAW Studio - FREE and Premium plugin for Premiere, After Effect & Media Encoder with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

Pica2600

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 10:08 pm

Thanks Nicolas! This is very helpful.

If I weren't working on a pro bono project, I'd spring for the Autokroma since it's v affordable and has more options than the BlackMagic plugin.
But for my purposes, (and because I don't want to be a post production guru- just an editor) I was able to go into the master clip settings in Premiere and change the BRAW clip to Arri Wide and Log C. Yes, you have to do it one by one- which would be a real reason to switch BRAW Studio if one was doing this extensively.

Return to Post Production